Visitors

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 01:05 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I'm struggling to dig out more questions to give us something to do. How long after your baby was born did you let visitors come? I know people will be chomping at the bit but I obviously want to have some time to bond and rest before people start overwhelming us.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 28th, 2013, 03:38 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Like, immediately. I wish I could have waited a week, but my family would have killed me.

March 28th, 2013, 05:23 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luckily, my family lives out of town, so this time only my parents were there for the birth, then MIL was sick so we didn't see her till the day after. My sisters didn't come in town till he was 9 days old. I either don't have close enough friends, or we have friends that understand they need to wait, because just now people are starting to contact us about seeing him.

With DD being our first, my sisters came in town when I was in labor, MIL brought her boss to the hospital to see us, and some of our friends came to see us. I wish we'd said no visitors in the hospital because it was so stressful to have people there while I was trying to learn to breastfeed, then they put her on the billi bed so everyone wanted to hold her but only had a short time, so, yeah, I wish I'd just kicked people out

March 28th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I love having visitors, but don't really get any, booo. My mom usually takes my older girls overnight so we have the first day just the three of us. Any visitors usually come the next day.
ashj_1218 likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 28th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
With Bodhi, I had visitors come in immediately but I don't remember them. He and I both passed out for 11 hours straight.

With Brig, my brother and SIL came to see me the next morning, which I loved, but I didn't have many other visitors which made me kind of sad.

With FB, my future SIL will probably be here non-stop.. not sure how I feel about it yet, but I try to remind myself that she will just want to meet her first niece or nephew.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

March 29th, 2013, 04:41 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first I made people wait a few hours.. I know it was reall hard for them.. But I am glad I did.. I needed some time to just zone out and be with the new person.. With my other two I had no problem with people being there .. I get it.. People are excited and happy .. Second two babies I was much more alert and present because my labora were faster.. And I felt more comfortable saying "ok I'm going to nurse now!" .. And just making my needs very clear even with people around..

March 29th, 2013, 08:03 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I love visitors...hospital, home, whatever. I do "hog" the baby a bit, but I can blame it on bonding or wanting to establish nursing or whatever.

With Liam, the only person who saw him besides me and DH shortly after birth was my mom. He went to NICU for the night (he was born at 5:30pm) and no one else came til he following evening. And then it was my brothers, their girlfriends, my dad, and mom. The people I wanted there. They brought a delicious dinner and it was great. My MIL, other extended family, and friends came to visit within the first week. But I wasn't ever overwhelmed or anything. I enjoyed having them fawn over my new baby!

With Kieran, my mom was present at birth again, but I didn't share and she didn't hold him until she came back later that evening (he was born at 6am) with my older son. My dad came too. But everyone else came later in the week. Which was fine. Even better, my MIL waited all the way til he was 6 weeks to visit We don't have a lot of love lost, so it was nice to not have to host her sooner.

This time will be equally as free-for-all. My mom will be at the birth (as long as baby doesn't come between April 23-29th, which would be rather early) and everyone else will see baby after we come home from the hospital. We plan to leave in 24 hours again. It's just easier, given the new housing circumstances and the fact that my ILs will be in town the entire time I am just drawing all around boundaries. My parents understand they aren't in place for them, but to protect my sanity around my ILs. My friends will come in the first couple days too.
March 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my friend was there when the baby was born. after that, my husband and I went home (about an hour or two later) and I think people visited the next day...
March 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right away and then when DS was 2 days old we took 48 hours ourselves and asked everyone to give us the weekend alone. Worked out great for us?

March 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Visitors immediately fled into our room after delivering DS. I didn't like it at all b/c it prevented DH and I from getting those intimate moments. This time I want *at least* an hour to ourselves before anyone comes to visit. I want to have that intimate first moments of meeting baby, breastfeeding and getting myself cleaned up before I have to worry about sharing him with anyone else

March 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't want a million people running in and out. I know my family and BF's family will want to be there right away, but I'm going to be the mean one and tell them they have to wait. I want us to have some time alone to bond with our baby. This is a first for us and BF is going to be in all new water. It won't help him if everyone is taking the baby out of his arms and talking to him like he's an idiot (his family) because he doesn't know what to do.

Fortunately I can spare my moms feelings by telling her I have to apply the rules to everyone to be fair. Nobody will be watching me breastfeed for sure!

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
March 31st, 2013, 11:35 AM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had almost 48 hours before visitors came. She was born the morning of Feb 13th and a bunch of our friends stopped by the next day on their way to a Valentine's dinner . I had a home birth and I think something about that weirds people out from visiting immediately like they do in the hospital. Our family is all out of state so it was a few days before they made it out.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

April 1st, 2013, 09:46 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We left the BC after four hours so no one visited. Plus our family lives out of town so our visitors over the next few days was our Doula and Nurse. I don't think anyone else came until he was a few days old. I'd love to have more visitors but it does make nursing ackward. At least it did for me then because he was my first. I doubt ill care too much this time lol.
April 1st, 2013, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our family all live close (within minutes) but never get real excited about another baby, so they come more out of obligation than wanting to love on the newest member of the family. My mom is less than thrilled with us having a large family, so she'll stop by to get her picture taken with baby and that's it. Extended family really don't care to much. So, not much for visitors. Our kids come and always super excited, so that makes up for all of it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search