Getting DH on board

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hello everyone! I'm asking for some guidance please. Since this will most likely be our one and only child, I've decided a natural unmedicated child birth is the way I want my experience to be. I started looking into signing up for the Bradley Method classes, so we both benefit from the class. I don't think our schedules will work out so I'll have to be my own teacher--good for me, bad for DH. (He wasn't thrilled on taking the class anyways)

We just had a huge blow out. DH not questioning why, he gets that. He doesn't understand WHAT it is I want to learn. He says it's all natural and I shouldn't worry about reading and learning as much as I can...I should just 'let it happen'. I think he's expecting labor and delivery to mirror what you see in the movies and on tv. We show up, I push, the dr delivers the baby and we go home. Period. End of story. I keep trying to inform him that we need to learn about the entire process and what he can do to help me. I explained it's just like preparing for a marathon. I just can't show up and think I can run 26 miles. He thinks I'm crazy and I'm just worrying about things I don't need to. I feel like he's not taking this seriously so I brought up about hiring a doula. He now feels I'm trying to push him out of the entire process and he's hurt.

I'm 11w3d so I know we have some time. I've made an appointment with a midwife and we meet her next week. What can I do or say so he will understand where I'm coming from? I know I can get him to come around, I just need to figure out the best way to approach all this. Maybe hearing things from the midwife will help him get it threw his thick skull! Now, the midwife I found is part of a large OBGYN group so she's more 'modernized' than the home birth ones. Any and all advice it appreciated! Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by CameraChick13; April 2nd, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search