Added benefit of probiotics?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By 4 boys
  • 1 Post By 4 boys
  • 3 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I've been taking probiotics for the purpose of testing negative for GBS (test is two weeks away yet so we'll see if it helps) but today I stumbled across a possible added benefit I wasn't aware of.

Every time I see my doctor and they do a urine test, there are ALWAYS white blood cells in it. They ask me every time if I have symptoms of a UTI and they always send it for a culture and it always comes back negative. I've had kidney stones in the past but I don't think I do now, but for years already I just always have WBC in my urine.

Today at my appointment, they didn't mention it. Nothing at all was said. It's the first appointment I've been to since beginning to take probiotics. A quick google search revealed that probiotics are apparently being tested as an alternative treatment for UTI's.

So I'm not sure if this is really the case, or if they just forgot to mention the urine test results (but I doubt it because they are always after me about this), but I thought it was really interesting and thought I would share. I've been taking cranberry pills and drinking cranberry juice daily for weeks and this is the first time that my urine has apparently been clear.

If it happens again at next week's appointment, I'm definitely going to ask to make sure.
April 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 boys View Post
So I've been taking probiotics for the purpose of testing negative for GBS (test is two weeks away yet so we'll see if it helps) but today I stumbled across a possible added benefit I wasn't aware of.

Every time I see my doctor and they do a urine test, there are ALWAYS white blood cells in it. They ask me every time if I have symptoms of a UTI and they always send it for a culture and it always comes back negative. I've had kidney stones in the past but I don't think I do now, but for years already I just always have WBC in my urine.

Today at my appointment, they didn't mention it. Nothing at all was said. It's the first appointment I've been to since beginning to take probiotics. A quick google search revealed that probiotics are apparently being tested as an alternative treatment for UTI's.

So I'm not sure if this is really the case, or if they just forgot to mention the urine test results (but I doubt it because they are always after me about this), but I thought it was really interesting and thought I would share. I've been taking cranberry pills and drinking cranberry juice daily for weeks and this is the first time that my urine has apparently been clear.

If it happens again at next week's appointment, I'm definitely going to ask to make sure.
Our immune system stems from the gut. Probiotics make a healthy gut --> makes healthy poo and urine (among a gazillion other things).

You can bring it up to your health care providers, just keep in mind that the health care industry knows (for the most part, not all) next to nothing in regards to healthy foods and alternative health treatments (such as probiotics). Do not be surprised or discouraged from what you're doing if they laugh it off.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

April 10th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^^Oh, I totally agree! I just meant that I would make sure to ask about the urine test results next time to make sure it was clear. My doctor really does seem clueless about a lot of things. I'm glad I've had a midwife twice in the past because I am still using a lot of her previous advice, even though I couldn't see her this time!
Earthy.Mama likes this.
April 11th, 2013, 08:15 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I believe it's related. I had a wicked UTI from about week 16-26. I was on three different antibiotics and it just would not clear up. I got some more natural suggestions, one of which was to drink apple cider vinegar. Sure enough, my next appt, my urine was clean. I started my probiotics shortly after (also for GBS) and it has not returned. I am thinking the probiotics are keeping it away.
keekopeeko, Earthy.Mama and 4 boys like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search