Geting to know you.. (4/24)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By therevslady
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By KtKuKi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2013, 11:16 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
This board obviously focuses primarily on topics surrounding natural birth, but I thought it might be fun to learn a little more about each other, beyond our birthing preferences, as the beautiful unique women we are

So the "GTKY" question of the day is..

If money/space/maternal age/etc.. were no issue and you could have as many children as you wanted, how many would you choose?

Do you feel that the number of siblings you had growing up influences that?

Have you ever considered adoption?

April 24th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If money/space/maternal age/etc.. were no issue and you could have as many children as you wanted, how many would you choose?
4. Then I could afford a babysitter to get out on a regular basis, a housekeeper and my PP plastic surgery. J/K!!...kinda.

Yes. I grew up with a brother and always wished we had a bigger family bc I thought itd be even more fun.

Yes, its something DH and I have had multiple conversations about. Were both open to it but its just so expensive!!

April 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would not just have more because I could afford it. 3 or 4 is a good number for us no matter our finances.

Adoption is not something we're open to. I've never felt a strong desire to adopt although I respect those who do.
April 24th, 2013, 12:31 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think our number would be the same...4. I just don't know that money or space is our issue. It's more time and emotional abilities that stop me from wanting more. So I think we would stick with four.

And, yes, I do think my siblings played a role in wanting a larger family. My extended family as a whole played a role...everyone has three kids and I loved the closeness, the chaos, and the support we grew up in. I wanted my kids to have that opportunity as well.

Adoption is not something we are interested in. I know my limits and I am not sure I am cut out to the task of taking on a child with unknown/deep emotional issues, as we would only consider adopting an older child in need, not an infant. It's a very impressive thing to do and I have nothing but respect for those who foster and adopt children. I just don't think I am fit for it, sadly.
April 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i used to be all "I want 6 kids" but i think 3 might be my limit. i dont know, i want my body back. im sick of breastfeeding and im dreading doing it again (i might feel better if i could get hunter off me)

and im sick of the whining that comes with little kids. it is making me batty. i cant wait to have a snuggly newborn again, but i could bypass the 2-4 age and be totally fine

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 24th, 2013, 01:21 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If money/space/maternal age/etc.. were no issue and you could have as many children as you wanted, how many would you choose? 4 has always been the number we kinda had in our heads...

Do you feel that the number of siblings you had growing up influences that? Yes probably.l we both loved coming from our big families

Have you ever considered adoption?.. Well originally the thought was to have three and adopt the fourth.. But we are pregnant with baby number four.l so right now we have kind of pushed adoption thoughts aside,, but I think that neither of us are completely opposed to it down the road maybe.,,

April 24th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Money/space/age haven't ever really influenced how many kids we would have. We sort of took it one by one because it's hard to say how many you want/can handle before you actually have that many! That said, we always said 2-3 and then that changed to 4-5. After 4 we were done but didn't do anything permanent, so we were still open to the possibility of 5, just didn't think it would happen. And now we have 5. I think we will be stopping there!

I had two siblings growing up and DH had three. I suppose that influenced me to want 3 kids, because everyone I knew growing up had 3 kids and it seemed like the normal number. But it didn't really influence the 4th and 5th.

Adoption is something I really really admire but it's not something we would consider, I don't think.
April 24th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We probably come from a different perspective in that we just let God decide how many little ones we will have We moved last year to a huge house that we got for a steal and know that God opened doors for that to happen, so he provided provisions for us and our growing family. We are expecting number 10 any day and honestly, would welcome more with open arms

Both Dh and I each have one sibling and thought it was kind of boring, so we were hoping we would be blessed with more than that, and we have been. Our oldest is only 12.

Adoption....we would do it in a heartbeat. Actually after we had only 4 babies we started the process to go overseas but we had to quit when we got pregnant with number 5 as was the limit. Now we could never get Grandparents to help for a week or two to travel to do it, so it's not a possibility. We barely get away to give birth . But we would be open to it in the future if the Lord opened doors

April 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM
When we first got married I said I wanted 8-10+ (though to be honest DH has never wanted that many)! Now things have changed, mostly realizing my personality was just not cut out for that; for starters I'm an introvert, and physically/emotionally I don't handle my babies close in age very well. #3 is on the way now, and we are planning at least one more, but we may very well be done after 4. 6 is the most we would want, but we'll take it one baby at a time.

I'm one of 5 (which I loved!), and DH is the oldest of 11. That has definitely played into out "ideal" number. We want a "large" family, as we like the dynamic that provides for the children. But it has also influenced our desire against a *huge* family. I'm not opposed to other people having tons of kids. If it works for them, great! I just really want to be able to move beyond the baby phase of life and embrace the next season *with* my older kids, as a whole family. Which is something DH's mom never got to do (there is a 20 year age span between him and the youngest!).

Yes and no. I love the idea of providing a child with a loving home, but it's not something DH has felt called to, and I go back and forth as to whether I could handle it or not. At this point I don't see it fitting into our family, but I highly respect those who do! (we have a lot of adoptive and foster families in our church)

April 24th, 2013, 07:34 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
If money/space/maternal age/etc.. were no issue and you could have as many children as you wanted, how many would you choose? well, these things are issues and we have #8 on the way. I guess my answer would be the same as it is now... we are open to as many children as God gives us.

Do you feel that the number of siblings you had growing up influences that? I had two sisters growing up. I don't think it plays a major part in our family size.

Have you ever considered adoption? yes! Maybe we will foster someday when our own children are older and/or independent. We'll see.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 25th, 2013, 09:17 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I think two. Three at the most.

Well, I grew up in such an odd way with my siblings, it is hard to say. I only grew up with one of them. He is autistic, so it did make things different than your typical sibling relationship. My oldest brother we very rarely saw; I've met him maybe four times in my life. My younger sister was very much forced on me whenever we were around each other which was a big bone of contention. So, I don't know? If any, my brother I grew up with probably did.

Considered, sure. Seriously considered, no. I think it is a great thing, but I don't know if it is something I could handle emotionally.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 25th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I think 6 would be my limit no matter what - for the simple fact that I want to be able to fit them all in one "normal" sized vehicle LOL.

I grew up with 4 siblings and yes, to some extent, that's just what feels "normal" to me. DH grew up basically an only child (just one brother 8 years older than him). It's taken him a while to be "used to" a lot of noise and kids. But he loves it now.

yes we have considered and would still be open to adoption.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Ugh- it's been a long day. Might skew my answer, lol. Maybe I should come back and answer when my kids are being cute.
GranolaMamaOf3 and NinjaCakes like this.

April 25th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Que, that made me laugh! We all have those days!!! Enjoy a nice bath and a glass of wine!

April 26th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
Ugh- it's been a long day. Might skew my answer, lol. Maybe I should come back and answer when my kids are being cute.

April 28th, 2013, 05:44 PM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
I still think it would probably be 3. Even though right now I'm content with 2 even if we were all of the above listed things.
I know for DH it influences his opinion on how many we should have. He is 1 of 3 but he wants them spaced further apart. I have a brother then a half sister and half brother but really only grew up with my brother. For me it was nice just having 2 kids in my dad's family.
I've never strongly thought about it but I guess I wouldn't be against it.

April 28th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If money/space/maternal age/etc.. were no issue and you could have as many children as you wanted, how many would you choose? I still think 2, possibly 3 but I really can't see more than that

Do you feel that the number of siblings you had growing up influences that? I was one of 3, It plays a role, but not the biggest factor.

Have you ever considered adoption?My aunt and uncle have adopted several times, It is not something that I feel is right for me. I'm not one to ever say never though.

April 30th, 2013, 03:54 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Well, I am currently pg with #11. I think we lean more to the side of having as many as we are given. I am 40 this September, so who knows, this may be the last.

I only have two brothers, and as a teenager told everyone I was NEVER having kids!! So I don't know what happened. LOL

I would and have considered fostering or adopting, especially sibling groups who would otherwise be separated.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
#12 is on the way
April 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I originally wanted 6, DH wanted 2, and we compromised to 4. However, I think I'm done with 2. Unfortunately, DH and I have some issues when it comes to how we parent. As in, I do all the parenting. We talked about it in great lengths before Cooper was born, and I thought we'd settled things, but we're having the same issues we had with DD. I just can't see having another baby unless things change.

I am the middle of 5, and love it. My brothers and I are very close in age and we had mutual friends and that was almost always fun.

I've honestly never even thought of adoption. I don't think we'd do it.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search