what is the most outrageous thing....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
someone has said to you about childbirth or even pregnancy?

random pregnant lady at the grocery store asked me where I was having my baby so I tell her at home. She just lloks at me like I am crazy.lol So then she says OH my friend ....nevermind Idon't want to scare you. SO i tell her this is my fourth child nothing can scare me. She says her friend just had a baby and it had died. So I tell her I am very sorry was it a homebirth and she says no. Hmmmmm
then she how will they give you an epidural. lol
July 28th, 2006, 04:33 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Can you say "D'uhhhhhhhhh"

~Nay
July 28th, 2006, 04:35 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
An habitual smoker and drinker acquaintance said she wasn't going to quit because then the baby would go through withdrawals too and she might miscarry. Yeah, so much better that the child be born at a low birth weight, with possible FAS and then go through withdrawals. Brulliant.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Mama-honey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seems like people *know better* than to say some of these things around me. I've managed to escape the horrible/ridiculous comments through both pregnancies. I guess I shouldn't say that, yet, since I still have 2 months to go!
July 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
mi-oh-my... i've never gotten anything really silly or naive. if i think of something, i'll post, though.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Super Mommy
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYY does my mother have to DISCOURAGE EVERYTHING I want to do in labor?!?!?

You know what she said to me?!?!? "Jackie you can't have that baby, look at your hips...you're too small."

REALLY?!? REALLY?!?! I'm TOO SMALL??? Too small for WHAT?!? A 12lber?? Yea...DUH!! I'm not having a freaking 12 pound KID though!!! GEEEEEEZ, my body is making a baby for ME!!! NOT FOR THE NATIONAL AVERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*takes a big deep breath*

This is from what I posted a couple weeks ago on a different site....this is the most irritating thing so far that has been said to me. Besides the redundant "oh, but take the epi if you need it" and "but bfing doesn't work out for all" and "don't be discouraged if your birth doesn't go the way you plan it" and yadda ya...blah blahh blahhhhhhhhhhhh
July 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I just remembered another one but it wasn't referring to my childbirth, but my friend Bridget. She was having a home birth with a few friends present for support and at her shower she said hoped to have the baby out in the garden - her MIL said Oh no dear, babies really shouldn't be outside so soon after they're born. She did end up having him out in the garden though, it was a beautiful summer evening too.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 28th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Veteran
Those are some GREAT stories!! This isnt' really about the actual birth, but, my husband is bi-ratial and you wouldn't belive how many people tell me how tan my baby is.. Just the other day I was visiting up north (we live in FLA) and this lady asked me where I was from, and I said FLA, and she said "oh, that explains how she has such a nice tan" !!
Yeah... right, "umm.. sarah.. you look a little pekid and pale, let's go lay out in the sun"!!!!!!!!!!

Those are some GREAT stories!! This isnt' really about the actual birth, but, my husband is bi-ratial and you wouldn't belive how many people tell me how tan my baby is.. Just the other day I was visiting up north (we live in FLA) and this lady asked me where I was from, and I said FLA, and she said "oh, that explains how she has such a nice tan" !!
Yeah... right, "umm.. sarah.. you look a little pekid and pale, let's go lay out in the sun"!!!!!!!!!!

July 29th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
heheheh.. funny stuff!!

i am sure i will remember mor eof the absurd things people have said to me during pregnancy and about delivery.. but these two stick out:

"dont be a hero.... take the drugs!"

"do you want some wine?" said old german neighbour
"no thanks, i am pregnant" i says
"well then. you are drinkin for two.. better fill you up~" hahaha

and of coursei had soo many people very concerned about
~a planned homebirth.
~ ignorance about the qualifications of midwifes
~ safety of waterbirths
~ vegan pregnancy

and a whole lotta things that were out of the 'norm'. oh well.. they were very happy and some even inspired when everything turned out PERFECTLY~
July 29th, 2006, 05:07 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
My dear old father - love him to death 'Why would you even WANT a homebirth? It's not safe! You should go to the hospital where sick ppl are supposed to be' (anyone else notice the incongruancy and contradiction there?)

My cousin, who smokes throughout her pregnancy, drinks caffiene like a racehorse, and is 100lbs overweight pre-pregnancy 'Childbirth without medication can't be SAFE, that's why they give you the drugs. In fact, my doctor INSISTED on giving it to me'.

On delayed clamping and cutting, an OB told one of my clients (and LaLa has heard the same thing to one of hers) 'If you don't clamp the cord right away all of your blood will flow to baby and they will get too much - resulting in a heartattack for them and a hemmorhage for you. OR, if the baby is too high, the blood will all drain out of the baby and baby will die'. DUH!!! Where did you get your license from?!?!?!??!

And the ever-present:
'You don't get a medal for it' (yes I do, it is a completely unmedicated newborn)
'don't be a martyr' (Don't be a follower)
'Don't make me feel guilty for choosing comfort' (if you feel guilty consider it may be because you have a reason to feel guilty)
'You think you are better than us' (no, I just did my research)
'You're so intolerant' (who is not tolerating whom?)
'It's child abuse to have a homebirth' (but its not child abuse to stick them with multiple needles, slice off part of their pee-pee, isolate them from their parents, and rub their sensitive skin down with a brittle washcloth??? That's what typically happens in a hospital on the first day of a newborns life).

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 29th, 2006, 07:25 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^good comebacks!
July 29th, 2006, 08:03 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Quote:
^^^good comebacks![/b]
Oh, I didn't say them audibly - just really loudly and pointedly in my head. lol!

Bellies & Babies Blogger

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search