Pitocin shot after birth

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Haven't ever really thought about this but now I am wondering...

I've always had the shot of pit after giving birth to aid in uterine contractions afterwards. I don't breastfeed so I thought it was possibly somewhat necessary. Now I am wondering if there is a connection between having this shot and the absolutely horrible afterpains I've had after my 3rd and 4th babies, lasting days.

I was under the impression that the pit only helped the uterus contract immediately after birth and didn't have an effect on the whole first week. Now I'm not so sure.

For a normal birth and no excess bleeding, even if I don't nurse, do I really need this shot?

Any advice?
May 3rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I have a similar theory. I received the shot every time except for my last. Usually the saying is that the pains increase with each child, but I had absolutely zero after pains last time and I wonder if it was related to the shot. This is only anecdotal, but you might be on to something.

It's not necessarily mandatory, but you can certainly do the wait and see approach instead of active management and see if it makes a difference.

May 3rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Interesting,, I've also heard the "more painful with each child"... My first two I have IVs and was given IV pit,, my third I refused an IV and was given a pit shot in my leg after.. This time I plan on refusing the IV as well.. I DO BFed so maybe I should just go with the wait and see approach..., although I KNOW this would totally freak out my hospital.. They were going bonkers when I refused the IV with my last birth

May 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have a pit shot after my birth and I really didn't experience too much pain with uterine contractions afterwards. I would feel it when I nursed but it wasn't significant.
May 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Well the reason behind giving the pitocin after birth is to help the uterus contract and prevent post partum hemorrhage. This is most often due to uterine atony (or weak uterus basically).

I have had to had the pit shot after almost every birth since #5. In the hospital and during my homebirths. I do tend to bleed a lot.

I have been reading everything I can find about this and avoiding the shot and excessive bleeding after this birth. Currently I am drinking the red raspberry leaf tea 2-4 times a day and taking a tbsp of liquid chlorophyll in water every morning. I will most likely add extra Vitamin K closer to the end.

I also have low platelets during pregnancy and I think that contributes to the heavy bleeding after birth. I am taking the chlorophyll for that too. I have read papaya leaf juice helps with the platelets issue but can't find it anywhere in the local health food stores.

Anyway, I am doing the RRL tea to strengthen the uterus in hopes to avoid the uterine atony and the pit shot. It can't hurt and it doesn't taste bad at all, hot or iced.
#12 is on the way
May 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Jenifer, have you thought about NORA tea? It has RRL in it as well as other stuff that can help with some of the other stuff you listed.

May 3rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Que, never heard of it. Shall look into it now.

Okay, got it, so nettles, oat straw, rrl, and alfalfa. Will look into getting the herbs at the health food store, I am almost positive I saw loose herbs.

Thanks.
#12 is on the way

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search