Thoughts about pushing...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Veteran
I don't know about you guys, but I keep seeing articles about pushing.. They are saying that it's not always best to be told to push.. or count to 10 and push again.
I think this is very interesting. I had a GREAT OB with my hospital delivery and she told me to push when I wanted and when I felt a contraction. It really makes total sense to me. Pushing when you don't feel the need could possible lead to tearing? Right? Just wanted your thoughts on this.

July 30th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Women should never be forced to push. Hospital OBs/Nurses tend to get into the coached pushing habit because so many of their women are medicated and don't feel the urge to push.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 30th, 2006, 06:58 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree in natural childbirth 99% of the time woman do not need to be told to push or hear the horrible counting. I don't think there is anything wrong with being told you are 10 and you can push whenever you feel the need but it should not be you are 10 TIME TO PUSH.
being told to push and how long leads to tearing and I believe I read an article about how the 10 count can cause oxygen deprivation to the baby and yourself.
July 30th, 2006, 08:03 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree. That would really kind of tick me off to be told when to push or worse, to have people counting for me. I delivered in a WONDERFUL hospital with a great staff. They were so excited I was having a natural delivery (apparently it's pretty rare there) and did everything they could to make sure it happened. I told them when I was ready to push and did it for as long as I wanted. They just kind of stood around and waited until I got another contraction and was ready again--I remember saying "Ok, lets go" each time I was ready to push and they all jumped into position. The only instruction I got was being told to slow down at one point when his head was coming out. I only had to push a few times though.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

July 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
The one time I was coached was my hopsital birth. Once I was complete (10) they started coaching pushing. 3 counts of 10 every 3 minutes for over an hour.

At about 8 pm I suddenly felt like there was a baby in my birth canal, and that I should push. Six minutes later, she came out. If they had just had me stand up through two contractions once I was a 10, I wopuldnt have pushed for so long. She was still high up. That's why people need the forceps and vaccuum and all that stuff, bc they are complete, but baby is still at 0 or +1 and not actually ready to come out. Gravity helps a lot.

My second birth, no coached pushing, and she was out within 10 minutes.

My third, she was like a torpedo. But hers is a differnt story. I hadly even had to bear down, there was no stopping Miss Flis.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

July 30th, 2006, 12:17 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i absolutely agree with y'all. i was just saying the other day, i told my doc (who i really love, but he's just not real modern/natural), "i can't anymore," and he said, "yes you can!" NO. i wasn't contracting hard enough to be able to push effectively-- why not take a break, and push again when i feel like my body can work with me, best? grrr... it still gets on my nerves when i think of it. i want to look into having a midwife, but i am not comfortable giving birth outside a hospital. not to start a debate, but i tend to bleed a lot after birth, and would rather have emergency equipment around, just in case... many hospitals seem to have problems with midwife deliveries, so this is where i run into the problem...
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 30th, 2006, 02:59 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a great hospital birth with a midwife. It just takes some looking. Natural birth instrutors are a great place to start.
July 30th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Super Mommy
I myself have a midwife that does hospital births. They are out there
July 30th, 2006, 10:21 PM
chlodoll
I was told to push when I felt like it. Isaiah pretty much crawled out himself though lol At one point I said I needed to push and I was told not to because the doctor was in a c-section! I didnt push but Isaiah had his own plans!!
July 31st, 2006, 05:39 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Not all areas have midwives that deliver in hospitals. Where I used to live there were four hospitals in a 3 hour geographic area. Three of them had no midwives at all that delivered there and one had a midwife who could deliver there but the majority of deiveries she did were in her freestanding birthing center and she did very few deliveries in the hospital (and no planned hospital births). Where I live now there are some midwives (very few) who deliver in hospitals but the vast majority are MEDwives and so you may as well be using a regular OB. It's not necessarily as easy to find a hospital delivering midwife as you might think.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 31st, 2006, 06:00 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I had always felt the same - don't coach a woman through pushing. BUT, this last birth I attended was interesting. She was nesting (lying on her side in bed) and began feeling really pushy. She began spontaneous pushing (grunting and doubling over at the peak). Her m/w was not there, though, so she held off on helping her contractions out.

When her m/w got there, we moved her over to all-fours (because the m/w confirmed what I had thought previously - posterior baby) and she started active pushing. As soon as she moved into this position, though, she lost the overwhelming urge to push and became rather frusterated.

She asked me to remind her how to do it and to help her get good pushes in. It was the first time I had ever seen a 'regression' of pushing contractions and the desire to be coached through them. Interesting.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
August 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM
mmsmom_25's Avatar Veteran
With my second baby, everything happened so fast that the doctor didn't even mke it in for the delivery. The charge nurse actually had to rush in to deliver, but they let me push when I wanted to and she came out in 10 minutes.
August 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Natural Pushing.
Womens bodies usually push for 5 seconds and not 10 seconds from what I read in Birthing From Within.

I pushed when my body wanted to. Actually *I* didn't push. My body pushed on its own.

So Crunchy
August 9th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've pushed all of mine out with no coaching.
I've been at births where they've 'coached' the Mother to push & I honestly think that it makes things take longer & exhausts the Mother.
All of mine have come out when they've wanted to come out LOL!

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
August 10th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wondermeg
My mom works for a health insurance company and was able to get ahold of a finding from some obstetrics nurses and doctors after surveying hundreds of women in labor. They found that women who are forced to push rather than pushing when their body tells them to are much more likely to tear. Nurses get used to having to coach women in pushing because of epidurals.
<div align="center"></div>
August 10th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I had the epi with my son, but thankfully they hadn't checked me in a while, so when they did he was RIGHT there. I only had to push a few times...and I know they were counting for me, but I wasn't listening.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search