Where to begin??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By keekopeeko

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Regular
Hi ladies! My name is Jessica and I just found out I'm pregnant for my second baby. My son Avery is 3 and I had a fully medical-ized birth with him. I had an epidural, I was induced, etc. I had a SUPER easy labor but ended up having some bad effects afterwards from the epidural. So for this baby I DEFINITELY will not be having and epidural. Now, my thinking is that if I'm not having an epidural, that I should look into a birthing center since I'll be able to manage my pain so much more freely, etc. There's a birth center like 45 minutes from my house that I think I can set up a tour of. It's all just so different for me I don't even know what to think or expect or where to start.

Is there anything I should be doing this early in the pregnancy to start preparing for a natural birth? Has anyone ever had experiences with both with any advice?

June 5th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Julie
Hi Jessica! Congrats on your pregnancy. I'm in the October DDC and I've had both epidural births and a natural birth. I am in no way an expert, but I can tell you what worked for me: get apsomeone you trust and feel comfortable with to be there for you during labor. If your hubby or SO isn't so great in this situation, maybe consider a sister or friend or even hire a doula. If your hubby is helpful, great! Let your birth assistant know what they can do to help you. back rubs, counter pressure on your back, not touching you, etc. I had a specific pattern of breathing I followed according to how intense the contractions were. This is important because with my first, I was so surprised by the pain that I didn't know how to control my breathing so I was going crazy and my respiratory rate went up to 200-not good. If you take a childbirth class they will teach you how to breath correctly. I brought my iPod and listened to music during contractions-for me what worked was music that made me feel good, and also some music that gave me a feeling of power and strength. this is of course going to be different for everyone, so maybe relaxing music might work for you, or no music at all. Familiarize yourself with the stages of labor: latent, active, and transition. Transition is usually when you get to 7 cm. Many women report feeling like they can't do it anymore, so maybe being aware of this will help you know it's normal and you can get through it. Baths or showers help many women feel morecomfortable during contractions. For me the last 20 minutes out of a total of 10 hours was the most intense and hardest. Sorry for the long response, just wanted to give you some info that might be helpful, I wish you the best of luck, but remember there is no shame in getting the epidural if you feel you really need it at a certain point!

June 5th, 2013, 10:26 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you are a reader you can start reading books.. Ina mays guide to childbirth is a good one.. There are lots others.. Sounds like you will be just fine! If your first birth went well, seconds births are USUALLY easier yet (mine was) .. There are lots of things you can watch as well.. I fully enjoyed watching both "business of being born" s on Netflix.. I actually preferred the second one
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

June 5th, 2013, 10:57 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I don't have much advice to give yet other than educate yourself as much as you can! You've found the right place to help with that The ladies here are wonderful.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
June 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Welcome and Congratulations! I agree with the other ladies that the best thing you can do now is start educating yourself on normal natural labor and birth. There is a great list of recommended reading stickied at the top of this board. I'd encourage you to check it out and pick a few that catch your eye. Natural childbirth classes are also very helpful for many moms! A lot of free-standing birth centers offer them, and some even require them, but if yours doesn't, there are a lot you can chose from. My personal favorite is The Bradley Method Start looking into your options now because some of them are long and/or fill up quickly.

PS - I grew up in Sarasota FL. I don't know if that's anywhere near you, but there is a great natural birth community there

June 8th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Regular
Thank you so much! I just picked up the Bradley Method yesterday and we're going to read it together. I'm about an hour and a half north of Sarasota but I'm actually down there quite a bit as my boss has an office down there....so great to know!! Thank you ladies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search