Did any of you experience this?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2006, 02:25 PM
CJMOM209
When I told people that I was going to have my son without an epidural, people laughed at me and asked me why I wouldn't want that relief? No one actually thought that I was going to be able to do it. I was just wondering if any of you experienced people doubting you or acting like you weren't strong enough to go through labor. I did have my son without an epidural, and I made it through just fine.
July 30th, 2006, 02:48 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I have heard that and worse. I have had ppl tell me I was out to 'prove something', 'be a martyr', 'get a medal', 'show off', and even make them 'feel guilty'.

In other words, they all know you (and me) so much better than we do. (laughing derisively).

I think the comments you heard and the ones I recieved are from a lack of faith and/or guilt in themselves - and they simply project it onto us. It is sad, but a part of human nature regardless.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
July 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never had anyone say that to me who knows me becuase I am deathly afraifd of needles and they all know that.
July 30th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I think the comments you heard and the ones I recieved are from a lack of faith and/or guilt in themselves - and they simply project it onto us. It is sad, but a part of human nature regardless.[/b]
I think that's the best answer I've heard yet! I'll drink to that... (er umm I WISH!)

July 30th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i have heard that too... oh too often

and you know.. the outcome is always a baby.. and yes, you can choose to birth and not feel it.

but the high that you get when you allow your body do what it is designed for lasts soooo mcuh longer~ it is a bonus that we get when we choose not to take the drugs. i am still vibrating off it!!

they dont know what they are missing. maybe noone told them about this amazing high!! oh well.... their loss~

but talking to the same people after my experience, i think in a way they might consider it!!
July 31st, 2006, 08:46 AM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
I've never had any mean comments regarding my natural birth with Ds. I got some comments from my parents about choosing to homebirth this one but that was completely out of ignorance. They're all for natural birth, though.

I talked to an old friend on the phone and told her I was having a homebirth. Her response, "Nay, I don't think I've ever told you where babies come from! Now, I need to you to get to the hospital, get some drugs, and get some epidural!" I was sitting there rolling my eyes at her. I reminded her that Ds was completely drug-free, and besides, she's never even been pregnant!

~Nay
July 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A lot of people laughed at me too, but I didn't care, especially the second time around. Most of it was just ignorance or trying to be "helpful." Most people thought I was nuts for having a midwife instead of a doctor, but that was also their ignorance speaking as well.

July 31st, 2006, 10:04 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh yes, the comments!

But - you know, this stood out:

"and you know.. the outcome is always a baby.. and yes, you can choose to birth and not feel it.

but the high that you get when you allow your body do what it is designed for lasts soooo mcuh longer~ it is a bonus that we get when we choose not to take the drugs. i am still vibrating off it!!

they dont know what they are missing. maybe noone told them about this amazing high!! oh well.... their loss~"

What a wonderful way to put it. I couldnt have put it any better.

I choose to feel this birth rather than Not feel it.

And yes, most of them dont really know what theyre missing. Funny how all the women who got drugs always comment most about the pain. And the ones that went naturally - they comment on thejoy, the ecstatic feelings, the sense of accomplishment & awe.

The ones who have had drugs usually have talked to very few women who talked about childbirth as a wonderful fulfilling experience and are usually amazed that anyone views it as such.

Interesting...

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
July 31st, 2006, 10:49 AM
<span style="font-family:Verdana">My step-mom and a couple of "friends" said things like "oh, once it gets going you'll be begging for drugs!", and seemed deeply disappointed that I managed to have the births I wanted. My step-mom, in particular, seems to think that I have natural births, breast feed, ect just to make her feel bad that she didn't - b/c obviously my births are all about her On any other subject she's actually a nice woman but we cannot discuss our parenting ideas b/c she feels I'm trying to make her feel bad - I'm not, honestly! - I've never criticised any of her choices for my brothers. When I told I was having the twins at home she was so horrifed you'd have thought I'd suggested going out and kicking some puppies for fun! </span>

July 31st, 2006, 08:49 PM
CJMOM209
Quote:
A lot of people laughed at me too, but I didn't care, especially the second time around. Most of it was just ignorance or trying to be "helpful." Most people thought I was nuts for having a midwife instead of a doctor, but that was also their ignorance speaking as well.[/b]
I had a midwife and she was wonderful! I'm sad to say that I moved about 2 hours away and I have a regular doctor now. I would love for a midwife to deliver my second!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search