birthing the placenta naturally

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm curious about something here...

My midwife has discussed the procedures for delivering the placenta with me... either naturally or with the injection thing....

anyway i'm pretty certain I want to go naturally, if everything is okay at that point in time, but i'm wondering when/where do they check the baby if you do it that way? Obviously they don't cut the umbilical cord until a lot later on (compared to the medical delivery)... so do they just check bubby out while he/she is on you, or do they leave the checks until after the umbilical cord is cut?

July 30th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My placenta came out quickly after both my boys (naturally). Cameron's cord we cut after like 20 minutes. Fritz's we didn't bother for about an hour. The midwives did the newborn checks after the cords were cut. They can do them with the cord still attached.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Only with my first did I have pitocin injected in my thigh, I wasn't asked, it was done.
All the other placentas were "delivered naturally".
It was about 15 mins after birth that the placenta came with my first and less than 10 for the others. My babies were always checked after the placenta was out, never beforehand.
As far as I know, unless the baby is unwell, the baby will stay with mom on her chest, usually, until after the placenta is out.

August 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hadn't really thought about this yet, except I know I don't want anyone yanking on the placenta. I didn't know they gave you a drug, and have no idea what they did last time... oh dear!
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
August 8th, 2006, 11:23 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If there is nothing wrong, then you don't need the injection. The injection will cause you to have some cramping.

I had to have 2 injections of oxytocin plus hemmorriging medicine because I was bleeding way too much. I had planned on a Lotus birth (baby and placenta still attached until after the placenta comes out) but I couldnt do it. I was so tired.... we were alll tired...that I forgot to get a pic of the baby and her placenta

So Crunchy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search