Pre labor?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ashj_1218
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2013, 06:04 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
With an induction being thrown on me for no reason in less than a week I'm a little upset, a little unsure, and really mad at the medical field for their extensive use of blanket treatment. I've been offered the cervical ripening balloons and misoprostol first, followed by pitocin if those don't work. I am seriously considering outright refusing pitocin and screw what they have to say about it. There's no call for an induction and I do not believe it is what is best for my baby.

Another reason I'm considering rejecting a medical induction is how my body is doing. I think I may be in pre labor. Unfortunately all I know is that I feel different, a lot of the things I'm experiencing I can't "verify" with any source. I know almost no women who ever experienced pre labor or labor naturally and so am not getting many answers.

I know, every woman is different. I guess I'm just hoping for a few opinions or tales of experience. At the last minute yesterday my doctor decided to check me. To both our surprise I was 4cm. The only indication I had that anything was different was that I felt sore in my lower uterus and cervix. I lost some of my plug, though no heaping chunks like what I hear about. I have been having off and on contractions which is new for me. My bowels (sorry) seem to be working overtime. I'm freaking exhausted - I have slept probably 12 of the last 24 hours and I'm still feeling nap ready as we speak. I mysteriously gained six pounds in a matter of days, which I read can be increased blood volume. Last but most striking to me, the last two days my nipples are huge and like bird dogs pointing the way home.

In the vast world of internet it seems like you get the same two answers - this is what it is supposed to be like, and its different for everyone. I typically settle for the latter but right now I'm looking for more. Of course I realize even if it is pre labor I could easily go another few weeks. I do want to base my decision on solid reasons, though. Has anyone experienced or heard of any of these as being part of pre labor, or am I grasping at straws?

Another question occurred to me. My doctor said the balloon falls out at 5cm, and given how my cervix is currently I'm wondering if they'd even bother with that or the gel,or try to go straight to pitocin. Does anyone know or would you care to speculate?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; July 10th, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
July 10th, 2013, 07:45 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think you are headed in the right direction, it does sound pre-labor ish to me. With the dilation and the body taking some liberties (clearing out, catching up on sleep, prepping for nursing), I would be surprised if you even make it to the induction next week. I hope none of this even matters and you have a baby before they even mention pitocin. (I never lost chunks of plug with my three. I was also very, very tired before I had Jo...but it might have been related to her complications).

I think it is quite fine to talk to the doc about refusing an induction for the reason they are planning it. My good friend is an L&D nurse of 13 years and refused an induction for both of her pregnancies because of her controlled-GD. She gave birth at 41 weeks and then 40.3 weeks with her children, healthy and average-sized. I tend to think that she knew the risks and decided her children were better off inside versus out. Even without that experience, I think you know what your body is doing and you have every right to decide to wait. Even if you just wait a week, to get to 40 weeks. Or you come up with a compromise from the doc (like stripping membranes). It's important for your birth experience and your sense of "control" (really, just feeling involved in the decisions, not forced into them).

As for the dilation, I always heard that pitocin will be used alone as long as you have reached 3cm. So I would assume they would skip the gel or balloons, since they won't really be needed. But I am not a doc and maybe I am wrong. As long as your cervix is soft, I don't know why they would be needed.

Good luck making your decisions. It's tough to be in that place. Thankfully, I haven't been to the wire of making that hard decision (mine decide to come before I have to deal with induction pressure for my clotting issue). But it does weigh on me. And I can only imagine how you feel.
GranolaMamaOf3 and daneeleigh like this.

Last edited by ashj_1218; July 10th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
July 11th, 2013, 07:57 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I think it sounds ridiculous that your doc is suggesting induction in a week, since you wouldn't be 40 weeks yet and you are already at 4cm dilated. To me it sounds like you are very much headed in the right direction and your body doesn't need help at all.

I have never lost chunks of plug (in ten pg's so far) and my water has only broken once before being in full blown labor.

I would refuse an induction, as they cannot make you have any procedure without you consenting to it. With my 9th I was forced to sign papers at 42 weeks when I refused an immediate csection. I had her later that day.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
July 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been at 4cm and they broke my water, in hopes of starting labor. It has worked 5 out of 5 times. I need to be induced for a medical condition. My babes were born anywhere from 4-7 hours later, with no Pitocin or any other drugs. The labor was a little tougher, because that cushion is gone, but it's doable. My doctor and I had planned on using Pitocin after about 6 hours or so if there was no change in dialation, but by than most of them had been born or I was pushing .

I'm not sure what condition you are dealing with, but gaining 6 lbs in a few days sounds worrisome. Is your blood pressure under control? Only asking out of concern, not trying to force you into an induction

July 11th, 2013, 11:24 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I must have missed why they want to induce you already? That's crazy if there's no medical reason.

I definitely think you sound like you're in pre labor. At 4 cm with those signs going on, I give you three days lol.

I had prelabor for about three days with one false alarm in there. I was contracting off and on, slightly painful ones but nothing bad, and I was losing lots of plug. I'd been losing my plug though for two weeks. My water ended up breaking on its own which is what sent me into labor.

I hope you go soon on your own!
July 12th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting our Blessings View Post
I'm not sure what condition you are dealing with, but gaining 6 lbs in a few days sounds worrisome. Is your blood pressure under control?
I was really worried about that too. It scared me. That is almost half of what I've gained this entire pregnancy! My doctor said it was fine though. My BP has been fantastic the whole pregnancy and my catch was clean.

Their premise for induction is that "every woman" with GD gets induced at 39 weeks and I "have to do what everyone else does." This is despite my excellent BP, clean catches, perfect sugars, minimal weight gain, and the baby's weight being estimated at exactly what it should be. And now with my cervix the way it is, the only thing they will do is break my waters before using pitocin. I am not comfortable with either option.

Contractions have been 10-30 apart for a few hours now, which isn't very impressive, but it is something new for me. I really hope she makes her appearance this weekend so I don't have to have this fight.
UrbanMomma likes this.

July 12th, 2013, 01:29 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I vote for Sunday into Monday. Regular contractions are a great sign of early labor!
July 14th, 2013, 02:40 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
You don't have to accept an induction if there is no reason for it. It sounds like you are well on your way anyways. At 4cm dilated, once things start, they should go relatively quickly.

You could help things along with natural induction methods, if you so desired.

July 17th, 2013, 01:02 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I hope she doesn't mind me sharing, but I am happy to say an induction was not necessary as her sweet little girl came on her own terms and was born Sunday evening! I'll let mama share the details when she is ready
NinjaCakes likes this.

July 19th, 2013, 12:46 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh yay! Can't wait to hear her story!
July 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Don't mind at all Heather! Thank you Been too tired to come around.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

July 21st, 2013, 10:21 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yay! I was waiting for you to pop back (I stalked in your DDC, so I knew she came). Congrats mama. How do you pronounce her first name? It's beautiful. Hope all is well!
July 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see you already had your baby Congrats! Personally, if an induction wasn't medically necessary, I just wouldn't show up for the induction or I would refuse. I always dilated to between 4cm and 7cm without painful contractions. With this last baby I dilated to 2 (induction) with no painful contractions, then went straight to transition and had the baby 25 minutes later.
July 26th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
Yay! I was waiting for you to pop back (I stalked in your DDC, so I knew she came). Congrats mama. How do you pronounce her first name? It's beautiful. Hope all is well!
It is Bren-ya, like the song Thank you!
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search