Group B Strep

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JillyP
  • 1 Post By ChicaChels

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran
Of the women who tested positive for GBS, did it affect your birth experience, and how? Did anyone refuse the test altogether, and how did that affect your experience?

I am passionately against gross overuse of antibiotics. I tested positive, but refused to accept antibiotics for philosophical reasons. Because of this refusal, i was "required" to stay 2 days at the hospital for monitoring (which of course i would be billed for). This time, i will likely waive the additional day too. Has anyone here tried to do that?

My sister was required to recieve an antibiotic shot in order to give birth at a birthing center. She would have been forced to birth at the hospital if she had refused, for liability reasons of course. So she accepted, sigh.

I am also curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject, even if you have not yet experienced a birth with GBS, but have an opinion on the matter of 'proactive' antibiotic use during labor, or strep b risks vs. antibiotic risks in general.
July 18th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I presonal don't have nay experience with this but I know that I have seen a couple of threads on here about ways to clear it up yourself before birth. I'll see if I can find it of you can try to search for it. Otherwise the hosptial can't force you to have anything with out your consent no matter how much they bully you and try to force you to.
July 18th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
Here's one thread
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...s-testing.html (GBS testing)
July 18th, 2013, 06:25 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have declined the test in the past and they have been threatening, but I avoid antibiotics by walking in complete and ready to push.

This time I have a different MW and hospital and again they are being threatening.The MW told me if I refuse the test and antibiotics they will keep me 48 hrs to monitor the baby.

Of course this will not happen if I don't even make the hospital this time. I am all set up to deliver at home if need be.

I am really tired of being bullied.
#12 is on the way
July 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was positive for my second... and I got the antibiotics and still had to stay 48 hours.. I am pretty sure at my hospital anyhow, 48 hours is required for GBS with or with out antibiotics... you can also opt to get a hibiclense in place of antibiotics.. though I think you would still have to stay 48 hours... Also at my hospital the baby has to get an actual needle stick (not a heal prick) to test their blood if you didn't get the antibiotics... and that is kinda sad

July 19th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran
Thanks for the link. That was good info. I will try to test negative this time, to avoid the confrontation altogether.
And i agree with you Jenifer, about the bullying. It seems that many doctors forget who is really working for who...
However, i would still like to take the test. Afterall, assesment is the one service i am actually seeking from my doctor, lol. At least, if i knew i was positive again, then i can better evaluate the risks as the specifics of my labor reveal themselves.
Em, im sorry they still made you stay. I think at ours, they also 'require' the 48 hour monitoring if antibiotics are not administered for at least 4 hours before delivery, so even if i had accepted them, it would have been only 2 1/2 hours so they would be ineffective anyways. What are your thoughts on the hibiclense option?
July 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyP View Post
Em, im sorry they still made you stay. I think at ours, they also 'require' the 48 hour monitoring if antibiotics are not administered for at least 4 hours before delivery, so even if i had accepted them, it would have been only 2 1/2 hours so they would be ineffective anyways. What are your thoughts on the hibiclense option?

I haven't done a ton of research on that option.. I ended up testing negative this time (negative 3 out of 4 times)... So I didn't end up having to do a lot of research... but I was pretty against having an IV and was hoping if I was positive the hibiclense would seem affective enough for me to use...

also I don't know if I would have been negative anyhow but I started taking the probiotics with L Rhamsis ((or whatever that probiotic in the previous link is!) around 33 weeks and garlic supplements (just orally) ..and the week before my GBS test I took nightly apple cider vinegar baths.....

July 19th, 2013, 07:57 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I also take the probiotic with the L. Rhamnosus. I have done hibiclens in the past. The ratio is 0.5 hibiclens to 7.5 warm water in a peri bottle and rinse the perineum, if I remember correctly. The hibiclens is strong stuff.

I refuse the test because they want to do it at 35 weeks and I am a 42 weeker, they won't do the test again regardless of the results and you can be negative (or positive) one day and the other the next. Really, IMO, it makes no sense to do it so early. There needs to be some rapid result test.

I am pretty sure I am staying home as long as no issues come up anyway.
#12 is on the way
July 19th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran
I will definately try those too. And perhaps thats good preventative advice even if one has already tested negative. Because the way i understand it, the strep comes and goes. So a negative at 36 weeks, may not mean negative by 40 or more.
UrbanMomma likes this.
July 19th, 2013, 02:41 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was + with brylie and i had the antibiotics. my midwife has you swab yourself, and with hunter i just swabbed my belly button i took LOTS of garlic and probiotics when i was pregnant with him. i didnt have time for abx anyway, but since i was documented negative they didnt "make" me stay
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 20th, 2013, 11:30 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My birth center has you come in early while in labor to get the IV antibiotics. I'm not sure if you can deny them because I've never asked. I know that they don't make you stay longer after birth though. You go home like normal.
August 18th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I had to stay for 2 days with my youngest (23 months) after having an all natural birth at the hospital because I was GBS+. After his birth, I started researching it more and more because, like you, I am against the overuse of antibiotics! I found a great article on Hibeclens and will most definiteyl going that route next time. peaceful parenting: Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) Protocol For Labor Among GBS Positive Women
August 22nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I was negative, but I took the probiotics rec.'d here for four weeks before labor. Good luck!

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
August 24th, 2013, 11:28 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was really worried about this while I was pregnant. I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics and my midwife said she was not comfortable giving me IV antibiotics during labor so I would have to go to the hospital if I wanted them. I ended up being negative so it was a moot point. My midwife was fine with me declining the antibiotics or declining the test all together.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

August 26th, 2013, 09:42 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
i was + with brylie and i had the antibiotics. my midwife has you swab yourself, and with hunter i just swabbed my belly button i took LOTS of garlic and probiotics when i was pregnant with him. i didnt have time for abx anyway, but since i was documented negative they didnt "make" me stay
^^ This has me laughing! My midwives had me do the same (which is a first. everyone else has always done it for me), and I was so tempted to cheat!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search