What are your thoughts about Pitocin AFTER labor?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Heidijens1
  • 1 Post By NinjaCakes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By daneeleigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2013, 03:00 PM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my 28 week appointment yesterday--everything with baby is great. However, I had to have a discussion with the OB about my wishes to not have an IV during labor. They said I can still do a block, but I don't even want that. Last time I had a block and after I had my son, she said she was going to pump "fluids" into my body to help with dehydration, then later I found out she had Pitocin in there, too.

I know it is very standard to use Pitocin for after labor, but is it truly needed? I plan to breasfeed as immediate as I can after birth, so I will be getting oxytocin to help with cramping, ect. What are your thoughts?

3 beautiful boys, ages 8, 4 and almost 8 months!
Diagnosed with PCOS, conceived first son on first round of Clomid. DS #2 conceived on 2nd round of Clomid, 3rd son conceived on 3rd round of Clomid. TTC #4 through IVF.

Cycle #1: Antagonist protocol. 150 mL of bravelle and menopur for 8 days. Added ganirelix 2 days before ER and triggered with lupron and pregnyl.

13 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to day 6, both abnormals. No transfer.

We will cycle again--September 2014?
August 30th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had it on the table as an option "if medically necessary"... I also could have had it regardless of circumstance, or all out refused it regardless of circumstance. I'm not one to take meds that I don't need, however I am so glad I left it on the table as I hemorrhaged during A's delivery.

I didn't have an Iv though, until after it was determined that my bleeding wasn't slowing... at which time I was given a shot of pit.(that hurt really bad) followed by the nurse setting up the IV after the fact. He was born in the morning, and the IV came out around supper time (they had it blocked not long after the birth.

I dont think there is anything wrong with keeping your options open, in my case I really believe it saved me from much more serious complications. But it isn't necessary for every delivery IMO.
mindyjean likes this.

August 30th, 2013, 04:38 PM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
I didn't have an Iv though, until after it was determined that my bleeding wasn't slowing... at which time I was given a shot of pit.(that hurt really bad) followed by the nurse setting up the IV after the fact. He was born in the morning, and the IV came out around supper time (they had it blocked not long after the birth.

I dont think there is anything wrong with keeping your options open, in my case I really believe it saved me from much more serious complications. But it isn't necessary for every delivery IMO.
I have thought about asking if I can have a shot of Pit if I absolutely need it--do you remember why it hurt so much? Is it the needle they use or where they put it?

3 beautiful boys, ages 8, 4 and almost 8 months!
Diagnosed with PCOS, conceived first son on first round of Clomid. DS #2 conceived on 2nd round of Clomid, 3rd son conceived on 3rd round of Clomid. TTC #4 through IVF.

Cycle #1: Antagonist protocol. 150 mL of bravelle and menopur for 8 days. Added ganirelix 2 days before ER and triggered with lupron and pregnyl.

13 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to day 6, both abnormals. No transfer.

We will cycle again--September 2014?
August 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Heidijens1's Avatar Super Mommy
I was going to say the same thing as pp. not every new mom needs it but it can be helpful. My Dr has said I will get it after every birth due to the fact that I hemorrhaged and had to get a blood transfusion with my first.I'd reather have a shot then another transfusion. If you haven't had problems with it before though I don't see a reason why you would have to have it.
mindyjean likes this.
September 1st, 2013, 08:00 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I know that I didn't need it. The IV machine ended up malfunctioning so it was a good hour after birth before they got it to work so it is a good thing I didn't! At the hospital I was in, a lock was supposedly a requirement (nothing like that can be forced on you though) so they may fight you on not having one in "just in case." If you don't think it is something you want to do, don't do it. Tell them you will take action if they medicate you without your consent (even if you won't).
mindyjean likes this.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
September 2nd, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it was a combination. a) I hate needles b) the nurse was in a rush to get it in. Big scheme of things, I guess it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't call it a good time!
mindyjean likes this.

September 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cannot imagine laboring with an IV. My midwives almost gave me one during my labor because I was super dehydrated but I managed to keep chugging water.

As far as pitocin goes, I didn't have it or need it after labor. My bleeding was fine even though it took an hour to deliver my placenta. I believe it should be given on a case by case situation but I know this is not how most hospitals do it. I believe it's pretty standard. I would ask your OB if they can only do it if necessary and maybe get your consent?
mindyjean likes this.
October 11th, 2013, 11:23 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I labored without an IV (not even an option at my BC). DD was born in the water and the water was bright red afterwards. Having never witnessed a birth other than my own I'm not entirely sure how normal that is. Anyway, the MW asked me about 5-10 minutes after the birth if she could give me a shot of pit because the color of the water was concerning her. She said with water births its sometimes hard to gauge how much blood the mother has lost. I consented and she gave me a shot in the leg, which I barely felt (thanks birthy hormones!). Later on she commented that my tear (not a hemorrhage) that was the source of much of the blood. I'm OK with having had the pit shot after birth. I figure my MW was being cautious and I still got the birth I wanted. My aim was to avoid a pitocin modulated labor.

October 11th, 2013, 08:29 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
I vbac so a heploc is in me during labor (that's what just having an iv port set up is called)n. I had to have some pitocin after the birth of my last baby-- I honestly don't know the exact reason why I was bleeding heavy and my uterus was boggy so maybe that's why. I don't remember I was to caught up in baby land. I won't let them touch me with a ten foot pole with the stuff when I'm in labor though

Eta my last was a water birth and same thing the color of the water is what concerned the midwife
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
October 12th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Super Mommy
My midwife gave me a shot of pit in my thigh after my son was born because they were concerned I was not contracting as quickly as they would like. No idea whether it was truly "necessary," but I'd way rather have that shot than a hemmorage so I didn't mind a bit. Didn't hurt, I was so absorbed in the little one that I hardly noticed.
October 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Regular
I had moderate bleeding so they told me it was necessary. Better safe than sorry in my case.
October 17th, 2013, 07:17 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I think you can prevent the necessity of it with good nutrition before hand. NORA tea is a great preventative measure to take! I have no problem using it if it is necessary, but I'm a big believer in preventing problems before they arise!

October 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindyjean View Post
I have thought about asking if I can have a shot of Pit if I absolutely need it--do you remember why it hurt so much? Is it the needle they use or where they put it?
My midwife gave me a shot of pitocin in my thigh immediately after my son came out because she could already see I lost too much blood. I didn't even feel it. I was too focused on my baby.

October 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Regular
I'm from the uk and we use syntocinon which is similar to pitocin, it helps te uterus to contract. We only give synto after after an augmented labour so the uterus continues to contract this facilitating 3rd third stage of labour (placental delivery). If a labour is induced we are making contractions happen. If synto is turned off during induction or the third stage of labour the uterus may stop contracting which will hault labour or result in a retained placenta during the third stage. This would then require a manual removal of the placenta. This is what it says on the tin and the healthcare professional will remove the placenta with their hand via the vagina. Bleeding does not cease until the placenta is removed therefore this is necessary to achieve haemostasis and prevent haemorrage. If the labour is not augmented you can choose an active or physiological third stage, as the body has started labour naturally a physiological third stage is the natural end to a natural labour. We use another oxytocic drug during active third stage, this is a personal choice and not deemed necessary unless there is signs of haemorrage or the placenta is taking longer than it should to expel (if it takes too long the cervix will begin to close). Previous obstetric risk factors to take into account would be previous haemorrage (estimated blood loss of 500ml or more in previous deliveries, previous retained placenta and blood conditions or intake of medication that will most likely result in a higher blood loss).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search