New to Natural Childbirth

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2006, 08:28 AM
BabyDi's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi ladies Im very interested in natural childbirth. Im pretty sure i want to take hypnobabies classes (or if i cant afford them, then the at home course) There is one thing im very worried about though. I was really dissapointed to find out that my insurance does not cover birthing centers, nor can i find a midwife in my area. I cant believe they expect people to pay out of pocket for this! So unfortunatly, me and DF cannot afford to pay for that ourselves so i will have to give birth at a hospital im soo dissapointed. I really wanted to have the perfect birthing experience. ok enough complaining lol. So i still plan on doing the hypnobabies but do you think its even possible at a hospital? Do you think i will be able to labor the way i want at a hospital? i dont want to be stuck to a bed, i want to be able to move. I want to try to push slow and not tear. Does anyone have any positive hospital experiences with natural labor? Any advice?

Also what is it with people when you tell them you want to go natural. I was talking to my mom about it the other day, and told her i was upset that i had to labor at a hospital. and she didnt understand why i wouldnt want to use modern technology (her labors btw were 14 hours long just to end in emergency c sections. she did get an epi with both) i also told her i wanted to use hypnobabies and no epi at all. she called me a hippie! lol...she just kept saying "just get the epidural, trust me!" its like why cant you just be supportive? if i do infact decided i want an epidural during labor then thats fine, its my decision but jeez you can support my decision to try natural! I have a darn good reason for not wanting the epi anyways, i have severe panick attacks and am very clasteraphobic(spelling?). if i got an epidural and part of my body went numb, i would go balistic. lol i think theyd have to knock me out.

ok enough rambling...i just wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully get some advice for the hospital birth. thanks girls

August 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my son completely naturally in the hospital using hypnobirthing. It was wonderful! The staff was great with me. Once I told them I was doing hypnobirthing they got really excited and did everything in their power to make sure I had the birth experience that I wanted. Now I know not every hospital is as supportive but just make sure your df or other support person is there with you to advocate on your behalf. I walked around as much as I wanted, labored in the position comfortable for me, and had an amazing experience.

I too had all the naysayers telling me I was crazy for even thinking about having a natural birth. They didn't know anything about hypnobirthing so it sounded like a load of crap to a lot of people. The comment I got mostly was "Just you wait, you'll be begging for the epi." It really annoyed the hell out of me. A great book that my Mom recommended to me is "Childbirth Without Fear" by Grantly Dick-Read.

So basically, yes it is possible to have the natural birth experience you want in a hospital. Just make sure your wishes are known--maybe prepare a birth plan so everyone will be on the same page. And don't listen to other people, if they haven't tried it then they don't know what they are talking about. Feel free to check out my birth story here--Liam's birth. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Good luck!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 2nd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
congrats on your pregnancy!

and sounds like you have alot of time to ready yourself with positve and empoering knowledge~

the best thing you can do is not listen to the naysayers.. and envision yourself to have an amazing drug free birthing experience.

i think the best advice i have heard (i had a homebirth so i didnt have to deal with a hospital) is to labor at home for as long as you can. that way.. you are in your warm surroundings... and able to deal with this amazing event in your own way. dont rush in just because it is starting.

best of luck.. and i hope tat you keep on asking good questions throughout... there are some awesome mamas here who are full of great and encouraging knowledge
August 2nd, 2006, 10:10 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
ditto the others...

and so what if we're sort of hippies, even. nothing wrong with that. be proud to be natural.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

August 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome. I had 3 naturla births in the hospital. So it can be done. I would keep looking for a CNM in your area. When iahd Ashlie I drove 45 minutes each way to make sure I was seeing a midwife.
August 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I have had all 4 of my gals (including my twins) in the hospital as unmedicated births. It is possible! And, BTW, unfortunately, I think ALL of us have to contend with the no-brainers.. I mean, uneducated.. I MEAN, unsupportive. lol!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
August 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just want to ask have you contacted homebirth midwives and told them that you need a payment arrangement that you can afford each paycheck? If you make out a realistic payment plan say 50 bucks a paycheck until it is paid off most will not turn you down. Don't let money be your deciding factor. Babysit on the weekends. My DH took a second job for a few months.

August 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
BabyDi's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks everyone for you encouraging words!! Im so glad to hear others have done it. Im really excited to look into the hypnobirthing, it sounds perfect for me and im really hoping it will help. I will also try to do most of the laboring at home like sidhesister mentioned. i think that will help alot!! I have also decided that for any of those who arent being supportive or the woman who just HAVE to tell me their horror storries about labor that i am trying to have a positive birthing experience and i only want encouraging words, or none at all lol.

thanks again!!!

August 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just not telling everyone I want to go natural and the different decisions I am making, including about parenting. You'll find it makes your journey a lot more fun.
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search