Natural Birth, painless?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Okay I know that everyones body is different and every woman and I think one man (lol) have had different experiences with birth.... but why have I heard so many stories about a painless natural birth?

When I googled "painless labour, can it happen", I recieved a lot of good information. But nothing that can help me with actually not having any pain.

besically the things that I most liked was

Laboraide (with an e at the end) It's some kind of mouthpiece that is used to relax your body...

TENS MACHINE. not really sure what it is. I figure I have enough things to think about then strangling myself with one of the wires that are attached.

There are more ways but these are the only 2 that actaully work without being mentally able to focus.

Has anybody heard of these products?

If you haven't check them out. Tell me what you think. Even google: painless labor - can it happen. There are some wierd results.
December 11th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Mine certainly weren't painless!!!

I've heard good things about TENS machines, but never used one. Its basically low level electrical current applied to specific areas.

I thought laboraide was a drink? LOL
batyaweisman likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Personally, I found it to be more *intense* than painful. I also had a pretty short labor, though, so maybe I'd feel differently if things went on longer.
batyaweisman and mariahpoo2 like this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
December 11th, 2013, 10:34 AM
icymommy's Avatar Regular
When I gave birth to my son the epidural didnt take so I felt everything. It was painful that I passed out a few times from the pain. No joke.

Its intense for sure
batyaweisman likes this.
December 11th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
First child I went to 10cm pain-free. Other things happened at that point and ended up getting an epidural for pushing.
batyaweisman likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

December 11th, 2013, 03:12 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
My birth was certainly not painless but wasn't all that bad. I was ready to do it again as soon as it was over. I do believe that painless birth is possible. I definitely wouldn't strive for one because that would just get my hopes up. Do your best to prepare yourself and if you happen to be one of those rare women for whom birth is painless (or ... better yet ... orgasmic) then woot!

December 11th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hi, Millions of women all over the world experience a natural, drug-free, and painless childbirth. For a woman to give birth happily, she needs lots of support before, during and after. If you are planning a natural childbirth, only discuss this with people who will be supportive of your decision. Confidence in your ability to birth is essential surround yourself with people who believe in you!

Have a great day
therevslady and batyaweisman like this.
December 11th, 2013, 07:33 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I had a pretty painless dilation with my first child. I didn't expect it. It had a few intense moments, but I would not consider any of the dilation painful. Pushing, however, hurt like an SOB. So, yeah, I can't say the birth was painless. And my second two were nothing of the sort (painless). I suppose it's possible to "achieve" it, but I don't know it is something you can rely on. Like someone said, it would set you up for a pretty hard fall to think you could "make" it painless and then have it be painful and you be unprepared for that. It's better to have lots of tools to handle whatever kind of birth you end up with, so you can manage pain if you have it, rather than try to achieve a painless birth that might not be in the cards (since baby position, body shape, pain tolerance, etc are not things you can necessarily prepare for ahead of time). I do believe in painless childbirth, much like I believe in orgasmic birth. However, I think they are the exceptions, not the rule.
Earthy.Mama and batyaweisman like this.
December 12th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
Mine certainly weren't painless!!!

I've heard good things about TENS machines, but never used one. Its basically low level electrical current applied to specific areas.

I thought laboraide was a drink? LOL
yeah I know me too. LOL until I saw this: laboraide(dot)com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
Personally, I found it to be more *intense* than painful. I also had a pretty short labor, though, so maybe I'd feel differently if things went on longer.
do you think it helped you to push better than if you didn't have any feeling at all?
December 12th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
What helps me with pushing is waiting. My body takes over the pushing on it's own and heaves my babies out in about 1 minute with little help from me!
Sunrise and mariahpoo2 like this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 12th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by batyaweisman View Post
do you think it helped you to push better than if you didn't have any feeling at all?
Absolutely. Like Kellilee, I found that my body did the work for me when it was time to push. It pushed whether I wanted to or not (much to my dh's panic, since that started at home and our birth center was 25 minutes away ). I think if I had felt nothing at all, it would have been easy to feel exhausted and tired and unable to keep going - because short labor or not, it started around 12:30 AM and I hadn't been to bed yet, so I hadn't slept in over 20 hours by the time my dd was born even though labor itself lasted less than 4 hours.
mariahpoo2 likes this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
December 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My birth was far from painless, but the word I've always used to describe my experience was already mentioned -- INTENSE! It's something I tried to prepare myself for and wrap my head around beforehand, I knew going in that I had a challenge ahead and a goal in mind I wanted to achieve. Looking back I wish I was able to cope with the pain in a more graceful way, but you do what you need to to get through it. Main thing is to have supportive people around you. No matter how I got through it, I'm dang proud of myself for doing it and can't wait to psyche myself up for it again one day.

December 14th, 2013, 04:28 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I just don't know if pain is the word I would use in regard to birth. It's intense and insane and different from anything else in life.

The laboraid thing really bothers me. If you ever read Ina May, she talks about keeping your jaw loose, instead of clinched, and your bottom will follow and be loose and open. She calls it the sphincter reflex. And you know, I've seen this to be true for most of the women I have supported. The laboraid thingy seems counter productive and would only add to tension in the body.

As far as the tens machine, I've seen many moms use it. But honestly, it will only help cope in the early stages of labor. You get too swept up in labor to worry about functioning with that sort of thing.

Your best help will be preparing yourself for a normal physiological birth with lots of support and a supportive care provider. When you have that, then you have the opportunity for your hormones to be your helpers. Here is a great article:
Pain in Labour: Your hormones are your helpers | Sarah Buckley
Earthy.Mama and Keakie like this.

December 15th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of my births was what I would consider pain free. There was some discomfort like intense pressue but that was it. Mh midwife was concerned that I wasn't progressing but when she checked I was 9cm. I moved to the tub, did deep breathing and baby was born, I didn't even push. When she was born we saw she had a true knot in her cord. I truly think her easy labor and birth was my body's way of protecting her. My other births were not painless, but they were not bad either.
Earthy.Mama and mariahpoo2 like this.
December 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I used a Tens Unit- I would swear my life that it was a necessity for me! I also received facial massages during labor (loose face muscles helps relax body). I highly recommend a doula if you are not going to have a midwife. She provided the Tens Unit. I labored with it for 24 hours before going to the hospital. I was already dilated to an 8 and had no clue. I rated my pain at that time as a 5 out of 10. Again, just my story but my next delivery will definitely include a Tens!

Oh and definitely not what I would consider "painless". "Menstrual cramp" didn't really accurately describe it for me. If you've had the Mirena put it- it's THAT feeling.....
December 27th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Regular
I cannot imagine natural childbirth as painless.Mine was certainly not.My sons were born long back but the pain still I remember but one thing that I can say with my experience is giving birth second time is much easier than first time.Its great if there are certain things that can make labor painless.
December 27th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I have no idea what to expect this go round. My 2nd was much harder than my 1st. Who knows, I love it all. LOL!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

December 27th, 2013, 09:55 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My labors were both night and day but far from painless. They were very Intense during transition. My first was a shorter labor but more painful due to back labor. My second was awesome up until transition. Then it was intense but it happens so fast and then it's over and you're holding your baby.

My sister just had her baby in a bathroom because she didn't realize she was in labor....... Lucky? Yes lol! But at the same time she wasn't alerted she was in labor and that could have been dangerous. She was alone and her friend had to bust through the window because the door was locked. I truly believe she didn't have much pain because she had an epi with her first and NEVER wanted labor without one.

Obviously everyone's experience is different. I'd plan for pain management and rejoice afterwards if it's pain free = )
December 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with many of the ladies here. Painless is not how I would describe it, but intense is a good description. I actually felt no pain during pushing though, like at all, until he crowned then it just burned.

I felt the most intense sensations from 7-10 cm, other than that it was pretty painless. I had so many things available, but only ended up using warm water sprayed on my back.

I did hypnobirthing and read Ina May's guide to Childbirth and I think both helped. Relaxing my jaw was key.
December 30th, 2013, 03:57 PM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
Mine were not painless but I must say that for my 3rd birth I did much better on my breathing techniques and was able to walk around until I started pushing so that helped a lot! The contractions for my 3rd labor weren't painful just intense and the only real pain was when his head came out but after that I didn't feel any more pain. I tore all 3 times and didn't feel it until they had to stich me up- ouch!

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

My kids are growing up soo fast!

Tags
natural childbirth , painless childbirth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search