Need tips for film about natural childbirth

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2013, 05:35 AM
Dearest mums and mums to be!

My name is Zhenya and I am new to this website and forum, but I am hoping to stick around. I had kids, both delivered naturally (my youngest - a beautiful waterbirth). I was inspired to make a film about happy "connected" pregnancies and the beauty of natural childbirth. It will be a short documentary in which we will be taking Holland as a case study (it is also where I live), where natural childbirth is very common and many women give birth at home. We already have a script draft, but we are looking for ways to make it more meaningful to our potential audience... so here I am, looking for inspiration!

I have been reading many of your natural childbirth stories as well as questions, answers and comments, looking for issues of most concern (as well as inspiration) to an expecting or new mother (and her partner). I have picked up quite a few interesting ideas, but I also thought it is perhaps best simply to ask . I would be super thankful if you could answer all or any of these questions - just brainstorming really, so any ideas are welcome! Thank you so much!

1. If you had a natural childbirth:

a. Did you choose it consciously and why?
b. Looking back - were you happy with your decision (would you do it again?).
c. If you have any regrets about your choice - what were they?
d. If you had any revelations/inspirations/discoveries about yourself, your partner, your relationship etc during your natural childbirth - what were they?
e. What was most important for you during childbirth? (i.e. privacy, support, environment) and why?

2. If you are planning a natural childbirth:
a. Why did you choose it?
b. In the course of your pregnancy - have your attitudes changed towards (been changing) towards childbirth? What are the most important influences?
c. Do you have a birthplan for your natural childbirth? What are the most important points in it? Have you discussed it with your medical practitioner (who will deliver your baby), who did they take it?

3. For all
a. If you were to watch a film about natural childbirth (and natural, "connected" pregnancy), what would be interesting for you to see (now that you are pregnant/have had your baby recently)?
January 3rd, 2014, 10:57 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy

a. Did you choose it consciously and why?
I knew I wanted a NCB before we conceived. My mother's 3 births were more or less natural so I figured I'd take a crack at it. My resolve to attempt one only grew as I did my research. Initially it was just a gut instinct that it was better for me and baby. As time went on I grew to feel that avoiding intervention and placing myself in a loving natural environment (my local birth center) would not only FEEL better but is safer than a hospital birth.

b. Looking back - were you happy with your decision (would you do it again?).
Absolutely! Planning to do it again this June!

c. If you have any regrets about your choice - what were they?
I wouldn't change a thing.

d. If you had any revelations/inspirations/discoveries about yourself, your partner, your relationship etc during your natural childbirth - what were they?
I felt very powerful and that feeling carried on after the birth. I think it made my first few months as a mother so much easier because I had so much self confidence. I knew to trust my instincts and my body.

e. What was most important for you during childbirth? (i.e. privacy, support, environment) and why?
The knowledge I'd accrued over the previous 9 months, my confidence in my body, and my amazing support people. They just let me do my thing.

a. Why did you choose it?
Worked well last time

b. In the course of your pregnancy - have your attitudes changed towards (been changing) towards childbirth? What are the most important influences?
See above.

c. Do you have a birthplan for your natural childbirth? What are the most important points in it? Have you discussed it with your medical practitioner (who will deliver your baby), who did they take it?
My midwives and I are in the same page. Their standard care goes along with everything I want. I won't have to fight. I wish all women had access to my birth center.

3. For all
a. If you were to watch a film about natural childbirth (and natural, "connected" pregnancy), what would be interesting for you to see (now that you are pregnant/have had your baby recently)?
Most films I've seen feature first time moms or moms seeking VBACs. I think this creates a feeling of the unknown rather than a feeling of power and confidence. I feel like women trying NCB for the first would benefit from seeing a mixture of experience levels. I would also want to see how older siblings play a role in the birth.

January 3rd, 2014, 01:28 PM
Dear TigersMommy! Thank you so much for your ideas and sharing your thoughts/experience. I have picked up some very good ideas from you - it is doesn't cease to amaze me how similar and how different at the same time childbirth experiences can be. I relate to much of what your say and yet your reply gave me a couple of aha moments! Great idea about the siblings. The midwife who is going to be one of the main characters in the film has a very interesting view on this, supported by a lot of experience. Now I can script it in
January 8th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Super Mommy

a. Did you choose it consciously and why? Yes, I never really considered any other choice. My mom had 2 natural childbirths so that is what I considered normal. And I was sort of horrified by the experiences of several friends/acquaintences with medical, hospital birth.

b. Looking back - were you happy with your decision (would you do it again?). Absolutely. I'm about to do it again in May, if all goes well.

c. If you have any regrets about your choice - what were they? None.

d. If you had any revelations/inspirations/discoveries about yourself, your partner, your relationship etc during your natural childbirth - what were they? My husband was not really that into being a birth partner. That didn't bother me because I felt that I'd be pretty independent about it, and the midwife is the expert so I wouldn't need much from him. That turned out to be right--my labor was very fast and he really had no part in it other than assuring me early on that I was indeed in labor despite my denial. In the most intense part he came in to check on me where I was laboring in the shower a few times and I (politely, I think?) told him I needed quiet. So I have read lots of stories of birth being very much a partner event, but that wasn't my experience at all.

e. What was most important for you during childbirth? (i.e. privacy, support, environment) and why? For me it was critical that I be left alone. I loved being in a birth center with no one present except my husband and my midwife, nobody talking to me much, nobody restricting my movement or making me answer a lot of questions or telling me what to do. I was very focused and I would have been miserable if forced to interact with a lot of people during labor.

a. Why did you choose it? Because the last one went so well!
c. Do you have a birthplan for your natural childbirth? What are the most important points in it? Have you discussed it with your medical practitioner (who will deliver your baby), who did they take it? No birth plan this time or last time. Luckily it isn't really necessary with my midwives. Anything that would be on my birth plan is just the normal course of things for them.

3. For all
a. If you were to watch a film about natural childbirth (and natural, "connected" pregnancy), what would be interesting for you to see (now that you are pregnant/have had your baby recently)? Hmmmm. I guess I would like to see more acknowledgement than is sometimes shown of the LABOR aspect, i.e. that it's ok and normal if it's not a quiet, zen, peaceful, painless experience. I think a lot of books and materials on natural childbirth create the expectation that if birth doesn't look like that--peaceful and zen--you're doing it wrong. My birth was very intense and at times I was LOUD, and it certainly wasn't painless. But it was a wonderful birth and I think many (most?) natural births look more like mine than the super quiet painless ones.

Ha, I wrote my answers before reading TigersMommy. So similar! I second the thought about siblings at the birth-forgot to mention that one.
January 14th, 2014, 02:17 AM
Dear AlaskaMom!
Thank you very much for your reply! I think your story illustrates very well that natural birth is indeed raw and natural and intense - and women who choose to deliver naturally may do it for very different reasons, and draw different "benefits" from it. Thank you for giving me some new insights and ideas that I might develop in the film.
Zhenya

Tags
natural birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search