Hello

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 5 Post By rachoochoo2
  • 4 Post By jumpingoffplace
  • 1 Post By mariahpoo2
  • 1 Post By rachoochoo2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey all, it looks pretty quiet in here but I will post and see who responds. I am currently pregnant with #3 and striving towards my first natural birthing experience. My first two babies were inductions with epidurals and after I truly horrendous epi experience with my last baby, I have no desire to ever go that route again. It took 3 different people many, many tries to get the epidural properly placed and I felt all of it so they kept shooting me up with more numbing medication. Basically it resulted in my being unable to get out of the bed on my own until 12 hours after delivery (wheeled to the recovery room on the bed) and caused me to be unable to urinate so they made me keep my IV port in overnight, which was very uncomfortable. Up to 6 months after my birth I had pain at the epidural site and earlier in this current pregnancy I began having discomfort at the site again.

Sooooo I don't see myself ever willingly going that route again.

I do have a question. I have never done any type of child birth classes. Is this something I should do or if I do my research and read up/watch videos, can I go without? I do like the idea of doing the Bradley Classes but from what I have seen they are pretty expensive and because of my husbands schedule being every changing, he would likely very rarely get to attend with me which I think would somewhat defeat the purpose of it. Are there other natural type classes that aren't so long and involved that I can look into?

I do think I will be hiring a doula this time around as well. When is a good time to start looking into that?

Thank you in advance for any and all responses!

Rachel-29 DH-28 DD1-4 DD2-2
January 12th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Hey Rachel!!!!!

It's totally do-able to do a natural birth without paying outrageous prices for classes. All I have ever done is research birth until my eyes bleed ( I love it though ) and really understand our bodies and vaginal birthing etc...

Understanding how nature intended for us to birth and how all the normal hormones work with us during labor instead of hospital medications interfering w/ those signals is amazing and empowering IMO.

I read this book (and a lot of online information, JM, spinning babies.. just google!) with dd1:

I started reading it again just after this BFP and it is kinda cheesy but it's still filled with a lot of information. This book had me so excited for birth that I was way too happy to be in labor and I didn't feel pain at all (whether that was from being excited or b/c I was just lucky enough to have a painless birth idk... dd2 def. hurt lol).

I am also considering getting a doula this time b/c my wishes for a birth this time are drastically different. I'm not sure when to look into one, maybe 1/2 through? I know you have a few appts w/ them to discuss things.....

Also, this board is kind slow, but feel free to stop by the Home Birth board b/c there are a few of us over there that keep it active and you can ask questions about natural birth there if no one is responding here

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add that hypnobabies is another popular method for natural birthing and I'm going to try that out this time! I naturally get into "the zone" and in a good meditation place in my head during labor so I think hypnobabies will be up my alley and fun to try out!
Keakie and Movlin like this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 12th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I did the Hypnobabies at-home course (or most of it - I started late and dd decided she was ready to come at 37w5d so I didn't finish ) for the same reasons (cost, scheduling, etc.) and was happy with it. I also spent a lot of time reading and learning about the process and generally normalizing birth for myself. I ended up having a pretty great experience.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth was great to read through. Giving Birth Naturally | Empowering Each Woman Giving Birth has a lot of good information too, and I would definitely check out Birth Without Fear - Empowering Women to Make Informed Choices About Pregnancy and Birth as well. BWF has a lot of stories if that sort of thing helps you, but they also have a lot of good articles.

I would probably start looking for a doula anytime. There's no rush at this point, but I don't think you can start looking too early.

I think it's awesome that you're interested in a different birthing path! I'm sorry your past experiences have been miserable and hope that things are different for you this time around. IMO, it definitely sounds like you're setting yourself up for success!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
January 12th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Oh duh! Ina May, of course! I have one of her books and love it

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 12th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! Now I have a place to start. I want to read as much as possible. I am ten times more terrified of ever having an epidural again than I am of letting my body do what it was made to do.

January 12th, 2014, 03:10 PM
jumpingoffplace's Avatar Love the life you live.
Hi Rachel!!

I had both of my children without pain meds. I won't call them natural because I had to be induced for both one due to medical reasons (cholestasis) and the other because the dr, unbeknownst to me, stripped my membranes without my consent and tossed me into a labor that was slow- that my son didn't tolerate well so I had to be given pitocin to speed things up. I'm hoping to avoid pitocin this go 'round.

What I can tell you is that like you, I was more afraid of a needle in my back than childbirth. I'm not gonna lie and say it didn't hurt a *$&$^!!. It did, but I also quickly learned that if allowed a woman will find her "zone" and be able to work through it.

I second the other ladies who recommended reading. I still read even though I've done it twice. I know the mechanics and I know what I need to do to get through it. IMO the core of the natural birth process is trusting your body and believing in your ability to work with it, not against it.

I'm 8 weeks now and after 2 hospital births I'm very seriously considering a home birth this time.

Proud mom of 2 beautiful children (and one on the way!), Desiree (3) and Austen (2). Desiree has autism but that just adds to her sparkle.

06/2007 10/2008 ~Gone but not forgotten.~

Software engineering consultant and state autism advocate.

January 18th, 2014, 09:44 AM
mariahpoo2's Avatar Veteran
Hi Rachel! Its Mariah from APA! I can't wait to hear your awesome natural birth story. I know you can do it.
rachoochoo2 likes this.
January 22nd, 2014, 01:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariahpoo2 View Post
Hi Rachel! Its Mariah from APA! I can't wait to hear your awesome natural birth story. I know you can do it.
Thanks Mariah! I'm glad to see you over here! Love APA but not as much traffic as there used to be so I like to post over here too and get more response.
mariahpoo2 likes this.

January 22nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
You don't need a class, especially if you have done your home work. A class can be beneficial in other ways. It might help to give your DH confidence as a birth partner (this is the primary way I benefited from Hypnobirthing classes). You might also learn about the birth atmosphere where you're giving birth. Ex: which nurses to avoid, which doc to turn to if your baby presents breech, etc. Having community is really important. BUT, if you can find a way to get that without shelling out hundreds of bucks, you're good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search