GD... but going natural anyway!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 2 Post By mariahpoo2
  • 1 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 1 Post By Quantum_Leap

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2014, 10:16 AM
mariahpoo2's Avatar Veteran
This is my first. And we STC with PCOS for 5 years to get here. In that time I have done so much research on birth (seriously considering becoming a Midwife), that I know what interventions I am okay with and when. My GD diagnosis caused a hurdle, but since I am controlled there is actually no evidence based additional risk than any normal healthy pg. My OB is all for routine medical care and is pushing for induction at 39 weeks regardless. But I say No... I want evidence based medical care. So I read several medical journals and new studies. Don't be fooled if you have GD... there is no evidence based research/statistics that backs up that frightening statement that GD woman have more stillbirth. In fact the newest and broadest study done on GD found no connection to GD and a higher risk of still birth.

I will still be monitored 2X a week after 37 weeks (no vaginal exams or only 1 per week) with NST. But we will move forward and turn down any and all preventative care unless there is provable medical need. We plan to labor at home for as long as possible and then transfer to the Birth center in our Hospital. They are registered baby friendly! And are pro-patients wishes. So I can turn down anything I want. IV monitoring... etc. I can have my birth my way. They allow mother to choose pushing position and allow mother guided pushing too! So all the nurses will be on my side. I just need to reign in my OB and we are good to go!

We are trying to get a doula too.

Another way we are insuring the birth we want is preparing ahead of time. I am drinking double strength RRLT every day. Positive birth affirmations. Readying birth exercises (when I can, should be another 3 days to a week before I can start). And starting 37 weeks I will start natural induction techniques everyday. This will include acupuncture/acupressure at least 2-3 times a week, as well as the ones I can do myself at home. Upping RRLT to 2X a day double/triple strength. Sex, nip stim, And VERY VERY spicy foods. I mean I can handle spicy, SO this will be at a level that the faint at heart should/would not try. And of course tons of walking. If I start getting closer I will do caster oil and Black/blue cohosh tea as well. And of course any other method worth a shot.

I can't wait for the big day!

Last edited by mariahpoo2; January 18th, 2014 at 10:18 AM.
January 18th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Hope everything goes great for you I agree with you on the GD stuff, can't stand all the inductions done because of it...
Movlin and mariahpoo2 like this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 18th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy.Mama View Post
Hope everything goes great for you I agree with you on the GD stuff, can't stand all the inductions done because of it...
Right on! Thank you! I have been on another forum for quite some time and have gotten slack there for my "unrealistic choice that could kill the baby and I". I don't have any extra sugars in my system. My body is functioning the same as a normal healthy pg. So I don't see that. Anyway, that is the main reason I am here. I had to seek out a place that has support for "natural birthers".
Earthy.Mama and Movlin like this.
January 22nd, 2014, 01:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well HEY Mariah! I didn't know you were over here too. I am so excited for you and hope you get exactly the birth experience you are looking for. You can do it!

Rachel-29 DH-28 DD1-4 DD2-2
January 22nd, 2014, 03:19 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Good luck! I have a dear friend who controlled her GD with diet and went on to birth a perfectly healthy and happy little boy in the comfort of her bedroom. It can certainly be done without interventions and it saddens me that so few women are given the opportunity to even give their bodies a shot at handling a GD diagnosis.

ETA: are you somewhere around the beginning of your third trimester? Focus on good posture and pelvic positioning. See spinningbabies.com for an explanation. A well-positioned baby will get you much further than a lot of "induction" techniques. It will also mean an easier labor if you do have to resort to more forceful induction methods.
mariahpoo2 likes this.

Last edited by TiggersMommy; January 22nd, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
January 24th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggersMommy View Post
Good luck! I have a dear friend who controlled her GD with diet and went on to birth a perfectly healthy and happy little boy in the comfort of her bedroom. It can certainly be done without interventions and it saddens me that so few women are given the opportunity to even give their bodies a shot at handling a GD diagnosis.

ETA: are you somewhere around the beginning of your third trimester? Focus on good posture and pelvic positioning. See spinningbabies.com for an explanation. A well-positioned baby will get you much further than a lot of "induction" techniques. It will also mean an easier labor if you do have to resort to more forceful induction methods.
Thank you for the tip!
January 26th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I recently gave birth at home to a healthy baby girl following a pregnancy where I was diagnosed with GD in the third trimester. She was 7 lbs, 14 ounces (a half-pound smaller than my second, non-GD baby), and labor only took 4 1/2 hours. Two pushes. It can definitely be done! I was able to control the GD fairly easily through some simple changes to diet. You can do it, too! I hope that you get the birth you're dreaming of.
Earthy.Mama likes this.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search