Doctors that support natural childbirth: how to find?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Keakie
  • 1 Post By Augmommyx2
  • 1 Post By mariahpoo2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM
How do you find a doctor that is supportive of natural childbirth? I want a type of doctor that does not FORCE or encourage you to get tons of vaccinations as soon as possible, along with needless silver nitrate eye drops, and all the other needless things they do. I want a doctor that does not scare you and say "natural childbirth is uncivilized".

Is there any search website that has a list of doctors like this?
February 12th, 2014, 12:23 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Wish I could recommend a website specifically geared toward natural-birth-friendly choices. Instead, this is what I did, and I hope it helps.

I wanted to find a doctor who respects my intelligence and backs up all recommendations with solid evidence. Good beside manner. Etc. With those two principal qualities, my hope/expectation was that I'd find a doc who respected my wishes for a natural childbirth (among other things). Now that I've been diagnosed w/ GD, this has been all the more crucial.

So I started with my insurance. We have booklets listing providers who accept it in the area (there's also an online database). If you have these resources, they're a good place to start.

From there I made a list (ranking potential OBs) based on reviews & ratings that I found were credible and represented similar values to my own. I typed "John Doe MD reviews" into Google for each name, then followed links to Vitals, HealthGrades, BetterDoctor, RateMDs, Yelp, etc. I copied down the contact information, hospital affiliation (also researched hospitals the same way), and driving distance to the hospital/office for each prospect.

The last step was calling the offices, double checking that they accept my insurance, and "vibing" it. If the receptionist was courteous and knowledgeable regarding my straightforward questions, I took this as a good sign (and the opposite as a red flag).

At the end of this process, I felt satisfied as I was left with what seemed to be a good few options. Ultimately, this is how I arrived at the OB I see now, and I am very, very pleased. (I'd had a horrible experience before when I settled for a referral. HUGE contrast w/ my current doc.)

I understand how important this is to an expecting mom. Best of luck to you!
February 12th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
LittleVera has some good ideas.

Are you set on using an OB for your care? Would you be open to using a midwife? Are there any birth centers near you?
LittleVera likes this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!
February 12th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I am open to using a midwife. However, aren't there any "natural minded" doctors available as well? Most doctors, even the nice ones I have found, are simply set in their "you must do as i say" mentality. I have not found any doctor that supports anything "natural". They always try to interfere with pregnancy and childbirth as much as possible.

Maybe the ideal doctor that I am looking for would be someone who is a midwife and a doctor at the same time?
February 13th, 2014, 03:30 PM
There are some, but they can be difficult to find because generally speaking, their education leads them to treat birth as a medical emergency by default. That doesn't mean it's impossible - I just wondered if there was a reason you were mainly interested in an OB if your end goal is a more natural minded birth. It certainly can be done. I know women who've had natural labors in hospital settings. It's just more of a challenge.

A doctor and a midwife at the same time may be hard to find because those types of caregivers typically operate under different birth principles. You could try to seek out a CNM (as opposed to a CPM) if medical school in the traditional sense is important to you. Many CNMs operate in freestanding birth centers, but some work in regular hospitals too. If you're interested, you can look into birth centers in your area here:

Birth Center Locator | American Association of Birth Centers

February 13th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Does health insurance usually cover birth with Certified Professional Midwives (CPM) and Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM)? Does insurance like when people use these methods, or does the insurance try to force you do have a hospital birth?

Any particular advice when dealing with insurance about this issue?

How much does it cost to have a home birth on average? I know it probably depends what state you live in.
February 13th, 2014, 10:07 PM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
My last pg I asked the midwives around town. They all said the same one and it just so happened the ob who they suggested was already my obgyn He was awesome btw way, no vaccines, no eye crap, no continuous monitoring, no iv's, ate food as I pleased, was in the shower my whole labor.

Last edited by anjewellove; February 13th, 2014 at 10:10 PM.
February 14th, 2014, 12:08 AM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
PPOs will usually cover a percentage but not all. Usually whatever the out of network percentage is

February 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I meant to come back to this. Sorry!

It will depend on your insurance. Mine covered my birth center birth without issue. I never heard a word about it.

CPM/home birth coverage will vary place to place. Depending on what your insurance looks like, many of them end up costing around the same amount as what you'd pay out of pocket for a standard hospital birth. Most midwives' fees include prenatal and postnatal care, too. I've heard some ask for as low as $800, some as high as $5000. It really depends on your area and the specific midwife.

Some insurance providers won't cover any of it, but some will reimburse you after the fact.

Personally, I'm not sure why some are so reluctant to cover birth centers/midwives. The rates of complications and deaths are typically much lower than those in typical hospital settings, and a birth at home also costs A LOT less for the insurance provider than paying for an OB and a hospital bed (and definitely less than the anesthesiologist fee and the cost of epidurals and antibiotics, and I won't even mention how much a typical c-section would cost them on top of that). You would think they would be all over the natural birth options.

February 19th, 2014, 09:33 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
where do you live?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 24th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just as I don't believe all Drs aren't naturally minded. I also don't believe that all midwives ARE naturally minded. I have had 2 miserable midwife experiences and 1 fantastic Dr experience. Don't let people scare you that hospital births will be harder etc. I had a fantastic natural hospital birth and I am planning another in Aug.

As for finding a provider, are there any FB mom's groups in your area? That might be a good place to start. Also, our hospital has a "birth coordinator" (I go to a super fancy hospital so this likely isn't the norm) she had great recommendations about Drs. If that isn't an option there is likely a dept that handles child birth education, they might help. Last, I would start interviewing doulas, many will tell you to consider home birth/ out of hospital if that isn't what you want keep calling different doulas. Someone will have experience with hospital births, she will likely have a really good idea of who is naturally minded and who has a lot of successful natural births.
moxiemommie likes this.
February 24th, 2014, 08:59 PM
It often CAN be harder to have a natural birth in a hospital setting or to find an allopathic doctor who will support it fully. That doesn't mean all doctors are awful and all midwives are fantastic. It just means that, in general, it's easier to find a naturally minded midwife than it is to find a naturally minded doctor. They typically have very different birth models and care principles. Some people only have access to a handful of doctors either because of area or insurance or both. Of course it isn't impossible, but it's misleading to imply it's universally easy to find an allopathic doctor who will truly support natural birth.

March 3rd, 2014, 11:43 AM
lea23's Avatar Super Mommy
I am very much interested in natural childbirth, but due to having an HMO and not wanting to pay outrageous out of pocket fees, I am going with the OB. I am just hoping after reading some of the replies that it will go as close to as I plan...

March 5th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First I completely agree as far as not all doctors have the "standard medical" mentality, just as not all midwives have the "holistic/natural mentality. The midwives contracted through the hospital that delivered my kids, were both meh. The first was by far the WORST! She was horrible, worse than most drs Ive dealt with. ( I had a natural hospital birth, with the exception of the Iv ( I had one) and the eye drops/and blood testing on the baby- but I really didnt know what I was in for, I was also fairly young (20) The second was much better, but she didnt really say too much, just came in to check me and catch him. The nurses were wonderful though, brought me a rocking chair let me walk, ect. Other than one did try to PIT me, which I flat out refused (my labor was less than 5 hours!!!! - w my second)Anyways now I have looked into it much more. First and foremost it really does depend on your insurance. You really have to look around, interveiw and see who meets your requirement, but you have to do that with most things. Fortunately most of my referrals were quite good. And none of them are too pushy with medications, although they do ensure the child has their vaccines- but you can opt out and they will not treat you poorly- which is very nice

March 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Natural birth friendly OB's are there. I have one. I would check with your local birth center if you have one. Find out who their back up OB is. Are there any local natural minded moms groups? They may have suggestions as well. Insurance is required to cover birth center birth. It make take some phone calls to get it approved, but they have to cover it. It is possible to have a natural birth in a hospital as well. AS long as your provider is on board and you don't mind speaking up for yourself. I flat out told the anesthesiologist that I wouldn't be needing her and I would keep on eating and drinking as I pleased. Even the nurses would bring me food when I asked and my OB was fine with it. She didn't want to hear that and told me I would change my mind. I told her I was 7cm dilated already and no I wouldn't be changing my mind lol. I had to get onto a nurse who tried to hang Pit as well. So it is possible to have a natural birth but you may have to speak up for what you want. You can always say "I do not consent" And ask for a form to sign to release the hospital if you are refusing something they try to tell you is medically necessary.

March 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM
mariahpoo2's Avatar Veteran
Fantastic thread. It is easier to find a midwife that delivers at a hospital then an OB that respects natural birth in my experience. Not that it cannot be done. It is just hard. If you have to go with an OB a midwife is a great place to start because they refer high risk patients to OB's they respect and trust.
Keakie likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search