Intro and question

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! I have been lurking on this board for a while now, just haven't posted yet. My name is Heather and I'm planning on a natural l&d for #2! I'm very excited!

I had a consultation with a midwifery practice last week. I only got to meet a nurse, not a midwife, but I did set up an appointment for the end of the month. I've read Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth and am currently reading the Bradley Method book (drawing a blank on the actual name, but it was one recommended here). My concern is ending up with a MEDwife instead of a Midwife...can you all help me with some questions or things to look for? I really liked their facility, it's one of two free-standing birth centers in the state, so I'm excited to deliver there. One of the things they told me was that if I test postivie for Group B Strep that I'll have to deliver at the hospital...Ina May's book didn't make it sound like that big of a deal.

Okay, enough rambling from me. If you made it this far, thank you! Any advice you wonderful ladies could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you SassyGirl for my siggy! You're awesome!
August 4th, 2006, 10:58 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Hi and welcome!!!

If it is a free-standing birthcenter, it is probably much more liberal than a hospital affiliated birthcenter. So, there is one pro in it's favor.

Also, they are 'probably' a member of the 'AABC' - National Association of Birth Centers (I know, it doesn't line up) - and, as such, they have protocol and guidelines to adhere to, unfortunately. The GBS is probably one of them.

That is really neat about your plans though, good luck and I look forward to getting to know you here!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
August 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board!

I agree if it is a free standing birth center your chances of having a good midiwfe are great.
AS for the GBS test can you refuse it withoput being forced into a hospital delivery? Sometimes just refuseing totake the test works but sometimes that just means they will treat you as positive.
If you are stuck taking it you can do the hibicleanse as a precautionary measure before taking the test. Also increasing your garlic intake and vit c will help keep you negativve.
I have huge issues with GBS test. It is pretty much useless if you ask me. I looked into it a lot while I was pregnant with Kae and decided not to take it. I have a great link with tons of info on it but unfortunatly it is written up on another board and I can't link to another board. maybe I could ask the OP if I can copy and past for our board.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search