Anyone not do research

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By laleighpop
  • 1 Post By Earthy.Mama
  • 3 Post By TiggersMommy
  • 3 Post By rachoochoo2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2014, 04:34 AM
I was wondering if any of you momma's gave birth naturally without reading all the books or taking all the classes and just letting your body tell you what it needs?

I have a midwife and will be giving birth in a birthing center so medical intervention will me at a minimum.

Last time I gave birth I didn't do any research and I just went with the flow and I walked and squatted beause it felt good and now that I'm pregnant again I find that those are great things to do, but honestly, I didn't need to read it to know it, I just experienced it. I ended up with an epi but I believe it was because the hospital made me very nervous and uncomfortable and they scared me with "How bad it's going to get" once they start pitocin. (I was only in labor for 9 hours and looking back I should have been home through it because it was so easy, I knew I should have stayed home then but I was too excited, lol)

So anyways, can I just go with the flow and leave it in God's hands? Not gonna lie, reading the books freak me out more than they make me feel impowered.
April 19th, 2014, 05:26 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yes. It's not a popular opinion, but I do believe that sometimes the books and videos are more scary than not. And I think that for *some* women, it can have a negative effect instead of a positive one.

I went into my first labor and delivery completely blind. I had a midwife and intended on doing things "as natural as possible." And I'd say I was very successful in that venture (only bit of intervention was breaking of waters right before pushing because he was still "floating"). I had a great birth and mostly followed exactly what my body was telling me to do.

Being that I am an anxious person, I did feel that the reading and over-preparation I did with my second might have lead to some issues in his birth. But I also know his had other factors (late turning breech, meconium, a crappy on-call doc, etc). But his "informed and prepared" birth was a less than stellar experience. I went in with no reading or prep on my third and hers was a much better experience. I do think there is something too be said for just listening to what your body is telling you, having faith in YOUR experience.

I DO think that in cases of hospital births, it does pay to have some basic background information so they are less likely to "bully" a mom into non-essential interventions. But if the care provider relationship is strong, I imagine that going with the flow is a fine plan. I plan to do it that way again
April 19th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I didn't research or use any specific 'coping' methodology for any of my births. I just went with the flow, like you described. I did do some basic online research about the general process of birth, just so that I would understand what was happening. For my second birth I also read the Ina May Gaskin book, just because I thought it was interesting and I like reading birth stories, lol. But that was it. All three of my births have been extremely smooth and easy. I'm like you -- I just want my body to tell me what I need to do. I don't feel like I need a book to tell me! (Otherwise, cavewomen would have been sunk, lol).

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
April 23rd, 2014, 05:46 AM
laleighpop's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been reading and researching a lot.... but I haven't found anything frightening about natural birth, yet?
It sounds like you were reading more about what can go wrong than studying normal, natural childbirth.
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth would be a definite read if you do nothing at all I think. It is full of inspiring birth stories, normalizing even the "abnormal" turn in events that hospitals may approach differently. She covers the various interventions and drugs used in the second half of the book so you are informed when they are offered to you.
Everything else I have read, and what we are learning in our Bradley classes preach following your instinct and emphasize the NATURAL process of birth and how our bodies are built for it. It just sounds like you've been reading the wrong stuff!
Being informed of your choices and studying normal, natural childbirth (in all the various forms it takes) should help you battle the fear and anxiety that hospitals tend to bring on.
I'm not saying that you have to study how to do natural childbirth for it to happen, I'm just saying that if you are really committed to it, surrounding yourself with positive, affirming and informative experiences is definitely a good start!
Spottts likes this.

April 24th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I did a lot of research with dd1, and none of that research has been negated in my mind. I still read a bunch of birth stories with dd2 and this one though, as... "moral" support and inspiration, but other than that, nothing new.

I do just want to trust that my body will lead me the way and I feel completely confident it can do so.

Now if someone were worried about giving birth naturally, I would recommend research, as knowing/learning/understanding is power and makes the woman feel empowered and confident, if that makes sense
Spottts likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

April 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Ugh, I had a long response typed that disappeared into the ether.

Suffice it to say that you'll do great so long as you have a supportive birth team. I've basically coasted this entire pregnancy thinking I'll just ride the birthy wave like I did I last time. My body knew what to do last time. This round will be just like riding a bike.

April 25th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggersMommy View Post
Ugh, I had a long response typed that disappeared into the ether.

Suffice it to say that you'll do great so long as you have a supportive birth team. I've basically coasted this entire pregnancy thinking I'll just ride the birthy wave like I did I last time. My body knew what to do last time. This round will be just like riding a bike.
Amen!

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
April 26th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't read anything at all. To be honest I feel like either I am going to do it or I'm not. I feel really calm about it and I am not panicking about the idea. I have a lot of friends who have gone for natural childbirths and have had a lot of details and stories shared with me. I feel like I'm a strong woman and I was made to do this.
Spottts, laleighpop and Brandi0099 like this.

Rachel-29 DH-28 DD1-4 DD2-2

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search