Brain Food

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I thought it would be cool to post ongoing articles of interest for different areas of childbirth all in one thread. If you have anything to add, please PLEASE feel free. I know lots of us on here are looking for as much information as possible to be as educated as possible - and the more researchers - the more information! So, post away!

Some from me (link titles are my ironic interpretations of the data included in the articles):

Vaginal Delivery After Numerous C-Sections Do Not Increase Risk As Much as They Thought

I Would Rather Have Balloons in My Hoo Hoo Than Pit In My IV

Yeah, Ummm... we of the Medical Community Believe that the Rates of Preemies in the US CANT be because WE are Doing Something Wrong, and it CANT be Because Women in the US Choose to Not Educate Themselves - It HAS to be Because of the Multiples Rates

BedRest SchmedRest - phooey, enough said

HELLO!?!?! How Many Women Have To Die/Children Have To Die (or nearly so) To Justify Saving a Buck??!?

PUSH, 2, 3, 4... a really neat trick is to make your eyes pop out while pushing

You Gave Me Major Abdominal Surgery 3 Years Ago Out of Necessity.. Now It's Not So 'Necessary'??!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
August 7th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
These are great articles, thank you for sharing....

maybe this is just my preggo hormones, or I am not reading this the way you meant it, but I guess I am rubbed a bit by the comment about women choosing not to educate themselves as far as prematurity goes....My son was born premature and with IUGR, the prematurity was because of pre eclampsia, but it was a good thing they took him when they did because he was starving to death in the womb. BUT I had many ultrasounds, and many visits and a very proactive dr. There was no evidence on the ultrasounds that he was as lil as he was. He was still kicking and moving regularily, his head was measuring at the correct size on the U/S it was his body that was starving....

I did research pregnancy and how to care for myself extensivly while I was pregnant, and I have to tell you that when my son was born preemie with the problems that he had, I spiraled into a deep depression, because I blamed myself for his prematurity and problems because I should have known, I had looked into things, I had asked questions and I had taken care of myself. My placenta was healthy looking and I dont have any medical problems that we know of. THere was a fluke thing that happened in my body that caused this to happen.....

So forgive me if I am just reading this wrong, but prematurity often has nothing to do with the fact that a woman chose not to educate themselves. Sometimes things just happen......I am not trying to start an arguement, and like I said, my hormones might just be up in a tizzy right now, but I did find this offensive.....

August 7th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Quote:
So forgive me if I am just reading this wrong, but prematurity often has nothing to do with the fact that a woman chose not to educate themselves. Sometimes things just happen......I am not trying to start an arguement, and like I said, my hormones might just be up in a tizzy right now, but I did find this offensive.....[/b]
Not meant to offend, but one of the largest indicators of prematurity is the fact that around 30% of women do not seek some type of screening and education during pregnancy (either by way of midwife, OB, or GP). They are mostly in the lower income bracket, though this is not always the case. Not that women NEED medical attention during pregnancy, but, if you aren't going to seek medical care during pregnancy, they had better make DARN sure they know how to take care of themselves during pregnancy.

Many don't get adequate nutrition (which can be a cause for toxemia/preeclampsia - not saying it was such in your case). Many don't get adequate exercise (which can be a cause for PROM, inadequate uterine blood flow, or hypovolemia). Many don't stop bad habits (drinking, smoking, drugs, overtly caloric/carbed diets, etc..)...

Again, it was not meant to be pointed at YOU... and not all causes of prematurity are either doctor, multiple, or educational problems - but a large amount of them ARE. There was not near this problem 20 years ago - and there is not near this problem in other developed countries.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
August 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
LOL, I am such a nerd sometimes....I am sorry for my panties being up in a bunch....lol, I went and ate and then came back to edit my response....it was total hunger and just cranky ol me that was talking. I reread your initial thing and realized that my rant was just that a rant.

my apologies....sometimes the hormones are ridiculous!

August 7th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Hey, rants are allowed! Heck, most ladies here can vouch that I like to spout off lots... and you have more ovaries than I, usually, I just let things settle rather than come back and make amends. lol!

Besides, at this stage in pregnancy, don't we EXPECT panties to be in bunches? lol!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
August 7th, 2006, 06:05 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You Gave Me Major Abdominal Surgery 3 Years Ago Out of Necessity.. Now It's Not So 'Necessary'??![/b]
I'm not sure what tehy are saying here. Are they saying that they are going to allow breech babies to be born vaginally?
August 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
You Gave Me Major Abdominal Surgery 3 Years Ago Out of Necessity.. Now It's Not So 'Necessary'??![/b]
I'm not sure what tehy are saying here. Are they saying that they are going to allow breech babies to be born vaginally?
[/b][/quote]

The report was studying the previous conclusion that 'breech births are safer by c-section'. The new report finds, though, that vaginal births of breech babies are just as safe as c-section deliveries.

Though, I think we know it will take more than the findings of a medical study to change these ingrained habits of OBs at this point in history. Breech vaginal birth is a soon-to-be lost art I fear.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
August 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That might make it easier for midwfives to accept breech births though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search