Natural Childbirth Books!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2006, 05:50 AM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While I was pregnant I read:

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer

Birthing from Within by Pam ?

In May Gaskins Childbirth Guide

I also read a few others, but these 3 books stand out the most in my mind. They were extradoinary and really helped me to achieve my goal of a natural birth.

What books helped you? Please suggest!

So Crunchy
August 9th, 2006, 11:19 AM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read Ina May's Guide To Childbirth ... it was interesting but a little too "spiritual" for me

I liked Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way better

Haven't read any more, but I'm going to
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
August 9th, 2006, 01:44 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read "Childbirth Without Fear" by Grantly Dick-Read. It can be a hard read but it's a really wonderful book. My Mom read it when she was pregnant with me and gave it to me to read during my pregnancy. We both had amazing, pain free (although somewhat uncomfortable at the end) natural births.

I also read my hypnobirthing material my classes provided that helped a great deal in achieving the birth I desired.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what is hypnobirthing? is it like hypnosis??
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
August 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
check out hypnobabies.com

Similar to hypnosis, but not like most people think of - more of a deep relaxation.

Ive read too many to list but I still have to finish reading Thinking Womans Guide to a better birth & finish Husband Coached Childbirth.

I need more hours in the day!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 11th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Mommyof3Hoppers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommyof3Hoppers
I also read Natural Child Birth the Bradley Way and really enjoyed that! You should definately read it together with your birth partner though because it has sections for the mother and the coach to read as well as exercises to practice.

Look me up on Facebook - Meighan Hopper Bloomington, Illinois
August 11th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Veteran
When I was pregnant and totally new to natural childbirth I found the Dr. Sear's "BIRTH BOOK" very helpful!

August 11th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Regular
I started off slow - Before I knew anything, I got Dr. Sears' BIRTH BOOK and became interested in natural childbirth. Then I started reading more and more about it on the Internet. One good site I found is www.birthingnaturally.net.

I later got the book Christ Centered Childbirth by Kelly J. Townsend. It is a comprehensive book w/ techniques based on the Bradley method and doesn't ignore God's role in the whole process. There are lots of biblical references to help strengthen your faith.

I also got the hypnobabies home study course (hypnobabies.com). It has given me the tools I need to completely relax. I have a lot of tension and after completing the course, I am pretty good at relaxing my body on cue. I am also more aware of tension in my body. Before getting the hypnobabies course, I bought the hypnobirthing book by Mongan that comes with a CD. It was interesting, but it is really designed to go along with classes. That's why I got the hypnobabies course. I actually like that program better anyway. It was very easy to mesh into my beliefs.

At first I was really turned off by "hypnosis" - I thought it sounded a little weird, but after looking into it I found out that it is really deep relaxation and positive thinking. I highly recommend it to others. Birth stories from moms using hypnosis are remarkable compared to regular natural birth stories. Here's a great site with info on hypnosis including lots of great birth stories for inspiration: www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com
August 12th, 2006, 07:26 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read the books mentioned above, plus The Labor Progres Handbook by Penny Simkin, which is one of my favorites, as well as almost every other childbirth book around b/c I'm a birth doula....

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search