Infant appointments

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Do you guys take your babies to the dozen appts they schedule the first year? Like for Trupie we had his 3 day appt, his one week appt, his two appt, his one month appt, two month appt, 3 month appt, and on and on and on! Does that seem like excessive to anyone else? At his 4 month appt the ped said "Just give him a bottle at night and then lay him in his crib". Um ok, first of all we bf (and if you can't remember that after 38 thousand appts!), and second of all we co-sleep, so thanks for the unnecessary parenting advice.

Is it really necessary to take them in that often (especially for a second+ time mommy who knows all the milestones that need to be reached, what to look for if something is wrong, etc)? I just think its a little excessive. And we're going to delay/split up/ selectively vax...but I'm not sure what schedule we're going to use yet...so thats a whole other thing to throw in.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
August 9th, 2006, 12:49 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went crazy with all the appointments I had to take Liam to. And on top of all of those I had to take him in every 3 days for a weight check because they said he wasn't gaining fast enough only to conclude after 3 weeks of that he was just a slow gainer. And did I mention we had moved and his ped office was an hour and fifteen minute drive each way, not to mention a $15 copay. I don't think that all the visits are necessary, and all the ones we had to go to definitely weren't. I think they go a little overboard on all the visits but if I intentionally skipped one and something was missed because of it I would never forgive myself.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I've never heard of that many well baby visits! Standard around here is around birth (hospital or doctor's office if baby was born out of the hospital), 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 18 months, 24 months, and then annually. Basically, for the first year on the typical vaccine schedule. Since we don't vax we don't see the need to take our kids in on that schedule so we have fewer well baby checks.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't done well baby visits with Kae. I t hink WBV are just to push vaccines. If you are gonna vax on schedule than you would need to go to all of them.
August 9th, 2006, 10:01 PM
chlodoll
Are you using a midwife? If so I know here they come and check up on your baby for those first early appts. 2,4,6 months are vaccinations. 9 months just a check up and 12 months vaccinations. If your not vaxing or selectively then I guess you need to find out when which ones are given. If you want to get your baby weighed or anything you can always go to a breastfeeding clinic if you have one. I go all the time with Isaiah and they'll weigh them whenever you want. I dont think they are all important. You will know if there is something wrong with your baby and you can take them to the doctor yourself.
August 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I took Julius in when he was a day old (his first Dr check as he was born at home, unassisted). Then I took him again at 3 months or so, then 6 months because he was sick. He will go again sometime soon.

It is your choice, you can skip them if you feel you don't need them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search