Some fears and questions.....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
I am due Nov. 13th and am planning my first waterbirth and looking very very forward to it. I am attending a class at my midwife's office on the 24th of this month, but dh will be unable to get out of work to come with me. Any advice on preparing him for this? He still doesn't seem to think i'm serious lol. I've thought about asking her if I can borrow the video that will be shown that night.

Also, now that i'm so excited about this, I worry about not meeting the criteria for the waterbirth. Especially making it to 37 weeks, and not needing pitocin. My 1st 2 kids were scheduled inductions at 40 weeks, the 3rd a natural labor at 40 weeks (my only non pitocin delivery), and the 4th my water broke at 36w1d with no contrax and pit was started 12 hours later. So I'm afraid that since this is my 6th prengnacy there is a risk i may not make it to 37 weeks, and even if I do, that my water will break with no labor again. We tried natural induction techniques last time (i.e. walking, birthing ball, breast pump, etc) but none worked. Are there other medical techniques that will allow me to still waterbirth? i.e. forms of induction without the need for an i.v.? I plan to ask my midwife all this next week, but thought if you knew of certain things, i could ask her specifically about them.

Thanks in advance.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

August 9th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
Natural induction techniques, should you need them, include taking evening primrose oil tablets by mouth, and plenty of sex for those lovely prostiglandins to thin your cervix. Drinking lots of RRL tea to tone your uterus.

I have had 2 home waterbirths, and have made it to 37 weeks (to 39 weeks actually both times), so I hve not had to "risk out" of homebirth or waterbirth that way.

Will you not be allowed to waterbirth if your water has broken? Your midwife will be able to help speed things up without pitocin, if she uses black/blue cohosh and ttells you to do nipple stim, etc etc. IM sure she will go over the options to get you going without pit if your water does break.

Ill try and think of more answers, Im really beat after the day I've had but wated to chime in.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

August 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I could offer more advice. But home water birth is not such a big deal at home and I have no idea what they will or not do in a hospital. I would think that any form of induction even with the dreaded cytotec which is a pill put inside the vagina would be out since you would need continuous monitoring because induction with drugs is just not as safe as natural labor.

I wish you luck and hope you get your beautiful water birth!

I am sure other ladies will have more info for you.

August 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well each baby certainly is different. You know your body CAN labor on its own without induction drugs such as pitocin. It just requires a little patience now & then (Something that some hospital staff seem to be short on).

Perhaps this time, consider the possibilities:

You will likely remain pregnant until 37 weeks - historically & statistically speaking, youve had one out of 5 before that time frame, and your due date could have been off slightly, who knows. I think it will all be ok Thats one that isnt really inside your control as much except you could prolong any natural induction methods prior to 37 weeks (such as cohosh, etc).

If yoru water breaks & labor doesnt begin immediately: if you avoid vaginal exams, there is no more risk at 72 hours past your water braeking vs 12 hours - according to statistics & studies that is. Perhaps talk to your midwife ahead of time, and just say if for SOME reason, you face a simliar situation, youd prefer to prolong the pitocin as long as possible. I had a doula client with a similar situation in a homebirht - water broke & she didnt really get "going" until over 24 hours past her water breaking. Baby was delivered 36 hours after her membranes ruptured. Happy & healthy Of course, she limited vaginal exams, so risk of infection was limited.

Discuss these options with your midwife & maybe just having a plan A & B would be reassuring for you.

I hope all goes well & I cant wait to hear your waterbirht story!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 15th, 2006, 06:35 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
Thank you for the replies. And especially for letting me know that it IS ok to go past 12 hours after your water breaking with out the need for induction. My midwife had me start taking the evening primrose capsules at around 34 weeks with my last pg. And while in the hospital after my water breaking, the on call midwife had me using a breast pump for the nipple stimulation and although i would contract while using it, the minute i would turn the pump off, the contrax would stop so I guess i assumed after 12 hours when she basically begged me to allow the pit (at 2 a.m. probably since she had been on call since 7 am the prev. day) I thought i really needed it.

Someone asked if my midwife will not allow me to waterbirth after water has broken, no that's not the case. I didn't even plan to try for a waterbirth my last pg, just didn't think it was for me, but now that i've learned so much about it i can't wait to try it. The hospital i deliver at is set up much like a birthing center, in fact they just finished the new floor in which all the birthing suites have the big birthing tubs in them with the jets. And they are one of the few hospitals, the Only one in my area, that will allow you to both labor and deliver in the tub. So my only concern with the early membrane rupture is not going into labor like last time. Once they started the pit with my last one, my contrax started within 10 minutes and 22 minutes later he was born. They never even had to up my dose.............which makes me assume that infact my body was ready for labor, it just wasn't ready to start it yet, so had I waited awhile longer i most likely would have gone into labor on my own the next day.

I definitely won't be trying any self induction techniques at home, well except for sex maybe lol, because with the hospital being a 20 minute drive away, and having 4 kids home with me, i seriously worry about not making into the hospital on time.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

August 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Super Mommy
It may vary from hospital to hospital, but I was induced, and still able to have a waterbirth. I was GBS positive, so I had to have an IV anyway, but I was lucky enough to not need pitocin. We started with cervadil that night, then cytotec the following morning. After not seeing much progression, and only irritable contractions, my midwife broke my water around 5:30. Things picked up from there, and I got into the tub around 12:30, and Kaiden was born 2 hours later.

I had originally been told I wouldn't be able to have the waterbirth because I was GBS positive and would need an IV. The midwife with me when I was in the hospital (practice of 4 of them) said it was her call, and she felt it would be safe. I just had to be careful to keep my hand out of the water. They also didn't do continuous monitering with me, she said that would only be if I needed the pitocin.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search