Dr. Appt today

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
To make a really long story short, I just moved to a new town and started seeing a new doc. Apparently however they measured my due date at my old doc. makes NO sense and I am a little further along. With dd, I was due on the 20th of June and they let me go until the 28th of July and I had an almost 9 pound baby. He said that that was REALLY dangerous... and that wont be happening again. My new due date is in the middle of Jan. and I am measuring 17w, with my uterus up to my bellybutton. (the old doc said that Iwasnt due until Feb. 1st) So now if by the 20th of January I have not already went into labor, I will have to go in and be induced. How exciting . I would really rather have it go naturally but since I had went so over with Isobelle if this is really going to be what is needed, I wont protest it. I will be just as happy to have my baby, no matter how he/she gets here.

</div>
August 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, actually you went right on time with your first if you only went 8 days over your "estimated due date". First time moms, statistically, actually have a gestational period of 41 weeks and 1 day (or 8 days over their EDD that drs tend to use).

40 weeks is only a very loose estimate - anything 2 weeks on either side of that is really more realistic, and the due dates shouldnt be viewed as DUE dates, but simply "about that time"

As a second time mom, statistically speaking, most second+ time moms will deliver just a little over 40 weeks as well.

How was your due date calculated? do you know? Usually they will use the "wheel" which assumes you have a 28 day cycle, and a 14 day luteal phase (The time between ovulation and the onset of your menstrual period). THe minority of women actually ahve a 28 day cycle and 14 day luteal phase, as its also only an "average". Some women have longer or shorter cycles, and a great deal of them have longer/shorter luteal phases. Unless you charted your fertility, you likely dnot know which you are!

Fundal height measurement (from pubic bone to top of the uterus) is the most accurate method, using the 1 centimeter per week rule. (32 cm = about 32 weeks gestation). However, this loses its accuracy in some moms towards the end especially once the baby "drops". I have also heard that its not AS accurate before 20 weeks. I would have to look into that claim.

Now - all that & i havent really given any advice.

Sounds like your dr has moved your due date up. Youre just into the second trimester either way - which means that even an ultrasound isnt as accurate now as it was in the first trimester. Did they do any ultrasounds to confirm dates in the first trimester? If so, that would be at least somewhat reliable (only off usually by a few days to a week at most). As time goes on, the u/s is less & less accurate for determining dates, and has such a huge error margin in the 3rd trimester (for dates & weight) that its practically useless. Studies & statistics back this up.

So - now you have an earlier due date... is he insistent that you deliver by 40 weeks?

Heres a pretty decent article: http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnanc...n/inducing.html

Studies show that there are no dangers from simply going past your Estimated Due date... The majority of risks that drs note (too big of a baby, aging placenta, etc) come into play when it is several weeks (not one or 2) past your due date. And - barring any medical condition, few women grow babies too big for their body. You already know you can deliver a 9 lb baby, which isnt necessarily "large", and you have a "proven pelvis" by medical standards. Also - Non stress tests (though not entirely accurate) can be used to reassure drs worrying minds that the baby is too stressed from being "over due". ACOG doesnt even consider a pregnancy to be "post dates" until after 42 weeks, so I have to wonder - whats this drs rush?!

In other words, there is no evidence that shows an induction is necessary simply becuase youve reached yoru "estimated" due date. But there is a LOT of evidence that shows it is perfectly safe & even normal to surpass that mythical date by as much as 2 weeks.

Also - keep in mind - inductions actually increase risks: risks of cesarean, use of an epidural or other medication, risks of prematurity due to estimating dates wrong (particularly when theyre moving them up so much). And - use of pitocin in an induction can cause hyperstimulation of the uterus.

These risks are reduced drastically when yoru body & baby pick the due date rather than the dr.

I hope this helps. Sorry for the long post Ask away if you have any other questions or if any of this jibber jabber didnt makesense lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I was due on 6/28 and delivered on 7/28, it was actually almost 4 weeks over my due date. The fundal height measurment puts me delivering this time on Jan. 13th, thats why he says that he will give me until the 20th to go naturally. I suppose they could wait for one more week before I get into the danger zone. Thanks so much for your post, its not bad that it was long. You are very informative!

</div>
August 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ahh ok I missed the whole MONTH difference lol.

I would be willing to bet they miscalculated your due date with that first one Though there are plenty of moms who have been known to go 3 and even 4 weeks over naturally. Usually, there is a family history of it from what I understand.

(Some women just take longer to grow babies!)

As long as theyre doing the fundal height measurement properly, my guess is that it is probably pretty accurate.

http://www.bringingupbaby.com/Birth/birth_C1_s2.htm

A picture:

Good luck... and although its unlikely with a second baby that youll go more than 2 weeks past, I would at least consider all the circumstances if it comes time where he wants to induce you

Lala...

BTW - heres an interesting article - a very medically managed approach - but its certainly interesting to see what happened!

Lala..

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 11th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Veteran
Great advice!
I also just wanted to add, that if you aren't happy with what that doc is telling you or you don't trust the advice. Go somewhere else.

August 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm... could you just ovulate late? For example, I always ovulate a week later than "normal" so my baby is actually a week younger than the doctors would think based on LMP. Honestly, a 9 pound baby in no way sounds dangerous. Can you explain why it is dangerous? The trouble with inductions is had they taken your baby out on your due date, your baby would have been taken out 4 weeks TOO EARLY. Your body knows how long baby needs to bake. Babies are too often taken out too early by inductions leading to preemie babies and preemie issues. I would do some more reading and research and consider getting a new obgyn....
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
August 12th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm I'd be a bit iffy about this Dr, he sounds a little controlling. Considering how far along you are now, I wouldn't feel comfortable with my dates being changed.
Quote:
I had an almost 9 pound baby. He said that that was REALLY dangerous...[/b]
Why is a 9lb baby dangerous? Alot of people safely deliver 9lbders.
I had my first child at a week over 18 years old. I was tiny & she was nearly 9lb. People thought I was having a 5lb'der because my belly was so small.
With my 4th child I was told that I was having a 'tiny' baby. I was measuring 4 weeks behind & then never got passed 34 weeks fundal height even at 41 1/2 weeks gestation. I was told that the baby was 'tiny' & deffinately wouldn't be over 7lb, they also suspected IUGR. Well bubs was born a healthy 8lb.8oz Not so tiny after all & my fundal height was totally off. I think that my Dr nearly fell over when she saw the size of the baby (she walked in afterwards to check things out, bubs was born with a midwife only in attendance.)

Quote:
So now if by the 20th of January I have not already went into labor, I will have to go in and be induced.[/b]
Well actually you don't. We have the right to make decisions for our own bodies. If you feel that this is the wrong decision for you, then you have every right to say no. Do you have the option to change Dr's to one that is more accomodating? Might be worth looking into. A good Dr or Midwife can make all the difference as to how the birth turns out.
Goodluck with it.

DD18, DD16, DD15, DS13, DN12, DS7, DD4, DD2

Expecting a surprise bebe - November 3rd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search