Question about my Homebirth & infant appts...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2006, 11:33 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I have a question - Ive been thinking on it for some time lol.

Im seeing a MW For prenatal care for my homebirht. Unfortunately, where I live, they arent very supportive of MWs though. AND - lay midwives are illegal. Technically - my MW is a lay midwife (been doing it "undercover " for some 20 yrs and assisting at birthing centers legally). Shes got a great reputation - homebirthed many a doctors, lawyers, etc babies but... nonetheless it is what it is.

So... b/c of that situation - I decided to get shadow care under an OB ONLY b/c I know this area, and I know that if I do have to transport, itll be alone (well - with my DH & Doula) and I dont want to face any unnecessary opposition just b/c they think Ive been going without prenatal care.

So I found a really great OB to get shadow care under. Hes very laid back - he lives right around the corner from me (eek!) lol... and joked that if it werent for his liability - hed do a homebirth for me (without me asking - he just knows how i am).

So - anyways - heres the bottom line:
Technically - although I have a MW and Im doing a homebirth, and all goes well (which I expect it should), then I will be filing for my babys birth certificate, listing it as an unassisted home birth.

THEN WHAT?

Do I just cancel my next appt and say "oops -had the baby at home" and go as usual to my postpartum check up? lol.

With the baby - do I just say "whoops - didnt make it on time - I found this umbilical clamp - lol - "

What do i do?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 11th, 2006, 01:15 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good question I have no idea... I just wnted to pipe in and say make sure to get your birth certificate before your baby turns one, I have a friend who got busy and forgot (homebirth) and now she's having a lot of trouble getting her baby's birth certificate.

Good luck!
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
August 11th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Oh yeah! I plan to do that ASAP!

And luckily, b/c Ill be getting shadow OB care, I wont get much hassle on that end of things...
But, Im not quite sure about how to go about the logistics of handling the OB & ped after just "not showing up" lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 11th, 2006, 05:00 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I planned my unassisted birth.

A midwife gave me the registration forms and lent me clamps and gave me delee suction. I filled in the registration and mailed it in.

I made an appt to see my Dr, went in, told him I had a baby on Sunday (it was Tuesday when I saw him) and told him I just wanted him to check the baby out and me. He checked baby and me (blood pressure) and that was it. I never told him he was unassisted at home, he never asked. It was my family Dr. I had also had Julius seen the day before with a pediatrician. I told her he was born at home, unassisted, she checked him out and gave me the paper for the lab for the PKU test.

No other questions. I don't know if it is different here (Canada) or what, but it really isn't a Drs' place to say what they think.

August 11th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
If we don't go to the bc to deliver, we're just going to call when we're ready (like in the morning if it happens in the middle of the night) and go in to get checked out. I'm just going to tell them I didn't feel like coming in if I truly don't feel like it!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
August 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks!

I think the mindset is definitley different here. Im not *too* concerned, but I am a little at the same time. I get shadow OB care, and as far as they know, thats my only prenatal care. According to them Im just gonna "whoops" not show up at the hospital. my DH thinks I shouldnt even call to let them know I had the baby, just not show up. But I really like the dr & would continue to see him for GYN issues most likely (cant do that with my MW really).

So, well see. I may just call a day or two later, and say "i had the baby at home, it endedup being unassisted & Ive had the baby checked, I just want to come in for a checkup". Id probably end up getting crap from the receptionist to the nurse and possibly (not sure) the dr (hes pretty laid back).

Well see. I know the BC wont be an issue at all, and I dont think the ped will be much of an issue. I know the Ped, and theres not a whole lot he can say lol.

So, anyways - thats that. Well see what happens. Im in a unique situation, and Ill sort it all out eventually. I think my main concern was if I had the baby on say... a Tuesday afternoon or night - called WEdnesday, theyd want to admit me into the hospital lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
August 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I wasn't too clear above.

I saw my GP for prenatal care until he moved, about 4 months before Julius was born. I then saw an OB for care, but not to their schedule as I think it is a ridiculous schedule if there are no issues. The OB asked me my plan, I told him I was really hoping for another midwife attended homebirth but had yet to find an available midwife (I had called every single midwife that was a possibility and none were available for hire, this is because they all live 300+ miles away and were not willing to come, I called them as soon as I was pregnant - 4 weeks).

When I did have Julius I did go to the OB and tell him, he was mad at me. Oh well, I could care less.

I see my (new) GP for everything I need. In my cities OB/GYNs are not for anything except surgery and birth. You don't see them unless things are bad (cancers, surgeries, etc) or you are pregnant (and then not until 36 weeks).

August 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
lay midwives are illegal here too, but no one will do shadow care. If I needed to transport, the doula would run interference with the docs about my having had prenatal care. Not something I would need to deal with during my transport procedure.. thats what DH and doula are there for. SO I have not considered seeing an OB and a MW concurrently.

Also, as far as insurance is concerned, it will get wierd if you are turning in stuff for an OB and stuff for a MW. Insurance likely wont cover your homebirth if you have a big company like BCBS or Aetna or something, and they wouldnt probably give money to your MW if you birthed at the hospital if you were trying to have them cover both. Id talk to some homebirthers in your area about insurance and what they do, and to anyone who does concurrent care in your area as a client.

I listed my births as a homebirths, and did not have to tell dept of human services that it was midwife assisted or unassisted, it never came up. I see a family doc for our care, and my family doc knew I was planning a lay midwife assisted homebirth. After my babies are born, I take them to him to check out, and he is always interested to know how the birth went and is very cool.

If youre seeing an OB. I guess you could lie and say the baby came too fast, but really, he would expect you to show up at the hospital if it were really an "oops" . I can tell you that he will probably know you planned a homebirth, and probably wont shadow you next time if he was already not cool about you having a homebirth. Because he was expecting to have you as a client and didnt get you. But thats just from waht Ive been told by other people.

In short, all I can do is tell you what Ive read on mothering.com with others homebirth expeirences, and share mine. I think you are complicating things a lot by having concurrent care, but thats my opinion. With all the what ifs and questions and insurance and who to lie to, it just seems like more stress than you need. There are truly not many things that cause the need to transport, particularly in an emergency.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

August 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I never thought about insurance being an issue.

Here, I see whatever care provider I want (doctors), as many as I want, healthcare pays. Midwives are an out of pocket expense ($2500/pregnancy).

I don't know what my OB thought, I know he thought I was irresponsible to not transfer after the birth, but he also knows that I am a homebirth mamma and that I am a doula (he has been the Dr at a few of the births I have been to) so he has seen me there.

The other thing, the OB can't really refuse me care, so should I ever have another baby and seek OB care, he can't say no to me.

August 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks!

Because lay midwifes are illegal here & florida (where Im at) is a licensing state, my insurance company wont pay for a homebirht by an unlicensed midwife. So - the insurance isnt too much fo a stipulation. BUT - thats another reason for the shadow care - my maternity leave is covered by short term disability insurance, which requires me to have some form of documented prenatal care in order to consider my claim for short term disability (otherwise face quite a mess). So the OB shadow care was for that as well.

And yes, I thought about the fact that the OB will be expecting to deliver me as his client, and also expecting me to show up at the hospital if it was truly a whoops. Thats one of the things that concerns me. Especially considering I DO like this doctor.

I considered briefly, telling him that I just wanted him for prenatal care & that i was planning to do a homebirht. While hes probably the most relaxed in this area though, Im not sure if hes THAT relaxed. I run the risk of him refusing to provide prenatal care for me. So well see. Its a tough situation.

I think it would be a little easier in a transport situation if i were almost anywhere else but here. Here, they are so adamantly against midwives, so adamant against homebirths (with very few exceptions - people do them obviously but its all a big "secret"), and the medical care is so heavily managed here, with a phenomenal first time csection rate & an even uglier complete csection rate. Im scared to death to deliver in a hospital even with a dr i trust lol, much less in a transport situation. So, I dunno well see.

Ill think it over, I am not comfortable with either decision, the only thing Im sure of is I want to have this baby at home! lol. I know my chances of a transport are highly unlikely, though.

my DH suggested just saying to the dr "You know - after you mentioned homebirht last time you really got me thinking - and Ive tried looking into it - would you still see me if I did find a midwife who would do a homebirth for me?" and gauge his reaction then. But I think thats walking TOO fine of a line personally.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search