Wondering...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Last week at 36w2d, I had a closed, hard cervix. Nothing was happening. Over the past couple of days, I've had twinges and just the feeling that something was happening. Yep! Today, 37w1d, just 6 days after the last appointment, I'm 1.5-2cm dilated and 40% effaced. I know that those numbers wouldn't mean so much if not for the speed of the change. I also peed a little while ago and there was a little red clot and some brownish blood, but it wasn't really mucus-y, just sort of like the end of a period. Is this the plug, or just some major irritation from the exam today?

What does this rapid dilation/effacement mean? My doc said a few times that I might go before DH's bday--on the 23rd.

The baby has also turned posterior. Fine. I'm planning to do this all naturally, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do specifically to alleviate that particular pain during labor. Any suggestions? Or just treat it as back labor, in general? I'll admit--first-time parents and we didn't take any childbirth courses. Our options were limited and the doula said that he and I probably know more than the instructor, who's just reading out of a book. I'm not afraid of labor, but I certainly wasn't expecting to hear that it might happen within the week!!!

August 14th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Regular
I found this good resource on posterior babies. You may still have time to get the baby to turn before labor begins.
http://www.motherspirit.net/articles/pregn...preventpost.htm

I'm sure it mentions the pelvic tilt, but here is another site that describes it in more detail:
http://www.waukeshamemorial.org/OPag...geID=OTH000377

Here are some positions for labor, and it recommends the hands and knees/kneeling positions for back pain or a posterior baby:
http://www.transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/...n/positions.htm

As for not taking a childbirth class - I wasn't going to either, but my doula required that we take a class. It was okay because it was through the doula foundation. I'm sure the hospital sponsored one would have been useless. The good news is that I had already learned all the info that was presented. You mentioned having a doula, so I'll bet she has some ideas for your posterior baby too.
August 14th, 2006, 08:32 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would not be surprised one bit if it happened for you very soon. At my 36 week 3 day appointment I was dialated to 1cm and just starting to soften (no effacement yet). Over the weekend I was growing rapidly uncomfortable, couldn't really do much (wasn't the best Christmas I had ). I lost my plug over the course of that weekend. Then at my 37 week 1 day appointment I was 2cm dialated and 75% effaced--no wonder I was so uncomfortable! Less than 3 days later I was holding my baby in my arms. Good luck to you!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Quote:
Last week at 36w2d, I had a closed, hard cervix. Nothing was happening. Over the past couple of days, I've had twinges and just the feeling that something was happening. Yep! Today, 37w1d, just 6 days after the last appointment, I'm 1.5-2cm dilated and 40% effaced. I know that those numbers wouldn't mean so much if not for the speed of the change. I also peed a little while ago and there was a little red clot and some brownish blood, but it wasn't really mucus-y, just sort of like the end of a period. Is this the plug, or just some major irritation from the exam today?

What does this rapid dilation/effacement mean? My doc said a few times that I might go before DH's bday--on the 23rd.

The baby has also turned posterior. Fine. I'm planning to do this all naturally, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do specifically to alleviate that particular pain during labor. Any suggestions? Or just treat it as back labor, in general? I'll admit--first-time parents and we didn't take any childbirth courses. Our options were limited and the doula said that he and I probably know more than the instructor, who's just reading out of a book. I'm not afraid of labor, but I certainly wasn't expecting to hear that it might happen within the week!!![/b]
All I can do is give you my experience with rapid dilation. I dilated to a two in one week from having a hard tight cervix.... I still didnt deliver for 3 weeks. Hopefully it doesnt drag out as long for you! I stayed at that two until I finally had my water broken because I had been having 5min apart contractions for quite a while and wasnt dilating any further. After that I finally progressed. As far as the mucus plug goes.... If its anything like mine you'll KNOW when it comes, lol. It was pretty huge and gross. I swear it had to weigh a quarter of a pound. Hope this helped a little!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search