Internal exams

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Internals
Every week/appt for the last month 5 38.46%
He starts sooner than the last month 0 0%
Only upon request 4 30.77%
Only during labor 1 7.69%
Not at all unless I ask 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does your Dr do internals during the last month or more of pregnancy? Have you asked him/her why? I find cervical checks sompletely unneccassary and actually a risk. It is just asking to introduce germs and infection into your vaginally canal espeacially if you are GBS +. I'll post some links about this in a bit.I'm just wondering how often OB"s still do this.
August 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Regular
I didn't vote because my ob said she wouldn't check my cervix until my 38 week appointment. I could probably ask her not to check... I hadn't decided yet. I just had my GBS test, so if I am positive, I'll definitely ask not to be checked.

On another forum, I have been hearing about women getting checked since 30 weeks, and some of them are going nuts wondering how soon the baby will be here because they are already x dilated or x effaced.
August 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My ob routinely checked every week starting at 35 weeks. I delivered at a little over 37 weeks so I didn't have many of them. I liked knowing the progress I was making and that the braxton hicks (since 20 weeks) and major discomfort wasn't for naught.

Oh, I also got an internal check at 29 weeks but that's because I was kicked in the stomach at work by a kid I taught and they wanted to check everything to make sure both baby and I were ok.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
My m/w does checks at my request (only once so far in this pregnancy -for my last apt because of feeling like I was dilating (physical symptoms)).

Bellies & Babies Blogger
August 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Veteran
Mine does one at 38 weeks but said that is only a recommendation and I could refuse

August 15th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Veteran
I'm GBS+, and my OB hasn't done any internal exams. I'm at 38 weeks. They'll probably offer to do one this week.

MM
August 15th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Super Mommy
My midwives don't routinely do them, but I did have one at 37 weeks to see where I was, since they were going to be inducing me early. I also had a couple while in the hospital, to see if the meds were doing anything to help me progress.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search