Home Birth Preparation

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2006, 12:47 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to DahliaMarie Send a message via Yahoo to DahliaMarie
Ok, so I know when the time comes my midwife will help me get everything for my homebirth together, I was just starting to put my own list together and was wondering if you guys would mind helping out. If you have any advice/input/opinions on things I could use, or may need, or you wish you would have had, please feel free to post it!

This is what I am thinking so far: (it's a working list)

Birth Pool- http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/pools.shtml The Ocean Reef Model. I have heard both good and bad things about it, but it seems to be one of the best at a really good price. DF has mentioned that he would like to sit behind me in the water, but wants to be "raised" a little so he can look down and see what's going on when Dominic is actually born (assuming we birth in the pool- I would like to, but we'll see how it feels to me at the time). I don't know how we could work that out in any birth pool, much less this one. He got the idea from that Discovery Health show- Maimi Maternity where they birth in an actual tub. Maybe he can sit up (still in the water) on a stool? idk... Also I have heard that since the bottom doesn't inflate, it may be uncomfortable to sit for a long time. What would you do about that?

Birth Ball- http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Anti-Burst-Yoga...=sporting-goods Woo-hoo! I'm excited about this one! But, I'm only 5'3, how do I know what size to buy? I've heard you need it to where you can sit comfortably with your knees bend a certain way. Anyone know?

Homebirth kit- I am pretty sure my midwife sells these... What should they include?

Do I need to buy some sheets to use on the bed, and throw away after the birth? What about towels? Do these things come in the birth kit? Would getting my own be better? When should I have all these things together and ready for the actual birth? I've heard lots of women mention the hospitals giving them peri-bottles for using the bathroom after birth, should I buy one of these too? What about pads, granny panties, and chap stick- just like the women who birth outside of the home? Should I gather all those things? Herbs or salts for baths after? What about things I should have around for ease with nursing? I know I should cook lots and freeze before, right?

I'm starting to overwhelm myself with all these questions. hehe

I'll try to put some of these thoughts together and post again later.

<div align="center"></div>
October 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI, my name's abbey, we are also doing a home birth, this is the list my midwife gave me, the first like is the stuff I need to have in ADDITION to the brith kit, the second list is things she will have on hand. The birth kit itself, you can buy online for $30. Also, about the tub, by all means, by your own if you are going to have a bunch of babies at home, but my MW has the AquaDoula, which is WICKED expensive, she rents is out. I will pay just a $100 for her to bring it to my house. It does have a padded bottom, and no none of them are raised I don't think, but I think you will not so much be sitting straight up, as much as floating and he will prob be able to see just fine.

Mom's list for the home:
A bag packed for the hospital in case of a transport
1 pckg. Of at least 10 disposable underpads (for bleeding afterwards, and or amniotic fluid leakage)
oil for perineal massage—unnopened container (olive, almond, vit.E or any kind of natural oil)
Four washcloths and four large bath towels
One quart bottle of apple cider vinegar(for cleaning I think)
Two large plastic trash bags and lots of small medium trash bags
One box large sanitary pads(bleeding, amiotic fluid)
One box regular sanitary pads
One large plastic sheet, mattress cover or dropcloth( for the bed if you decide to deliver there)
Two sets of clean sheets(to go on top of plastic cover, what we are going to do is put a platic sheet on the bed, then a reg. sheet, then a plastic sheet, then a reg sheet, so if there's a lot of mess we can just whip it off and have clean bed)
One large bowl(for placenta)
One bottle of alcohol
Cotton balls and q-tips
Diaper and clothes for baby (duh!)
Crock pot or way to get water hot and keep it hot(for washcloths for perineal massage)
One large flat cooking tray-cookie sheet( i think for sterilization)
A way to heat the birth room to 80 degrees
Goldenseal powder—you may buy goldenseal capsules
Frozen comfrey pads
A place for the midwife to rest
Food for the birth team—we’re not particular
A phone
Electric heating pad or hot water bottle
Nine receiving blankets wrapped up in aluminum foil (clean up baby, easy to sterilize in oven)
A flashlight and batteries
Electrolyte juices—at least three quarts
Keep at least ˝ tank gas in vehicle
Maps and directions to closest hospital and to hospital of your preference posted by every phone
Tinctures-cotton bark,shepard’s purse, blue cohosh, black cohosh

Midwife Supply List
Doppler
Fetascope
Blood Pressure Cuff
Stethoscope
2 curved hemostats
4 straight hemostats
pair scissors with sharp points
blunt scissors
2 pair lister bandage scissors
pair utility forceps
plastic cord clamp
sterile gloves
regular exam gloves
3cc, 22g syringes (injections)
injectible pitocin
injectable and oral ergotrate
portable oxygen unit with adult and infant masks
disposable amnihooks
nitrazine paper
urine testing strips
bulb syringes 3 oz.
betadine solution
disposable surgical scrub brushes ( I didn’t think my girly parts were that dirty, LOL)
lubricating Jelly
Alcohol prep pads
4x4 sterila guaze pads
baby scale and swing
tape measure
herbal tintures and dry
Homeopathic medicines
Equipment to suture minor tears
Hyoticin Ungent
1cc 5/8 syringes
1 neonate ambubag
urinary catheters-size 14 fr.
Peppermint oil
Delee mucus traps
IV equipment & solution to have on hand for those more than 30 min from a hospital

OK, in my own personal experience, I needed lotion, and good socks, my feet were cold, but I was strapped to a hospital bed, so duh. Not much that I can think of needing that i don't already have in my house. Granny panties are prob still a good idea, birth kits are again listed online, and everything they have is listed. I think they come with peri bottles. but not towels or sheets. Any other question, let me know.
October 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! todays my due date so Im all ready! My MW gave me a list, and at the homevisit at 36 weeks we went through it all to make sure all the t's were crossed & i's were dotted.

I bought my birth kit off a website that my MW recommended - I bought a 3 shelf thingy that I organized it all & put it all on.

I bought my birth tub - the La Bassine - from the same website - yourwaterbirth.com. I love it so far! it has handles on the inside & is plenty big enough - Ive sat in it & its plenty comfy

In our birth kit - it came with a plastic mattress cover. We also had on our birth supply list to buy 2 extra pair of sheets. When I go into labor, were supposed to make the bed - put the mattress cover on - then put the other set of sheets on so that after the baby is born, they just strip the dirty sheets off - strip off the mattress cover, and then voila - clean sheets

We also had on our list two large vinyl table cloths. These are for the floor to catch splashes or whatever and theyre portable so that wherever I have the baby or happen to be, ti wont matter if Im leaking or whatever. I bought a plastic shower curtain liner for underneath the birth tub to protect the carpet from getting wet with me stepping in and out of it & it fits great. Ill put some extra towels on it so its not slippery though.

And i think the only other major thing was we had to have so many pans around (for instruments) and a crock pot (for the herbal tea for perineal compresses). Oh - and then we had to have like 10 towels & 20 washcloths - washed & dried & put into plastic bags or containers.

Hopefully shell give you a list!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to DahliaMarie Send a message via Yahoo to DahliaMarie
Thanks for the lists. I am still working on getting my things together. I see my m/w again on the 17th, so I will ask her to give me some more ideas and I will post that here too. I am also still trying to get together a list of things I want to have readily available for during/after birth (i.e. warm socks, lotion, chap-stick, pre-cooked meals) that I will share when I am done as well.

I'm getting excited, it's getting close! Can't wait to read yalls homebirth stories!!

Anyone else have anything to add?

<div align="center"></div>
October 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had::

Rubber gloves
ky
a table cloth, although it wasn't the right kind and one heck of a time to find out, lol!
gauze pads
regular pads
towels and washcloths
a receiving blanket
clothes for baby
cookie sheet for supplies
Heating pad, we didn't use it at all

Pepsi and ice for MW, actually on her list, lol! Wonder if the Amish people provide that as well??

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search