UHB and birth cirtificates

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2006, 10:29 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
As some of you may know.... I am definitely considering having an unassisted home birth. The "plan" is to have the baby at a birth center near where I live, and I would not be too disappointed if I had to.... but I would RATHER do things in my own home, with only my husband and my child present. I would love the privacy and being able to do things as I please without fear of intervention because of "failure to progress" and such. Also, I want to share that intimate experience with no one but my own family... that may be my number one reason for wanting the hb. I have been reading and will continue to read and educate myself about HOW to deliver a baby at home and what to do.... but there are other factors involved. LIKE.... the birth certificate! I hear that you always have a lot of trouble getting the birthcerticate when you have a hb. For those of you who have already had this experience, what exactly did you have to do to get it? Anyone with comments or advice?

April

</div>
October 6th, 2006, 09:19 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know, I know there is some sort of form to fill out, my midwife will be helping out with this one, I can tell you after my next appt.....
October 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The requirements are different in every state (and I believe every county). What I did is went down to the county court house and asked what I would need and they told me, it was quick and easy. I also went to the SS office, which is a very different and much more amusing story, but the end results were about the same.

In Illinois the requirements are Two signed letters from non family members saying that you were pregnant and had a live birth, and to get the SS card you have to have the same things plus the birth certificate.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 6th, 2006, 09:06 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In my state, you simply go to vital statistics & fill out a request for a birth certificate - you report it as unassisted at home, just as you would if you didnt make it to the hospital in time. Each state has different requirements, and they may even vary slightly from county to county. Here -they dont give you a hard time usually unless youre unmarried, and then they ask for proof that you received prenatal care, or if you didnt, then verification that you were pg or was present at the birth (they have to sign a statement & have it notarized).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 8th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
the two times I have gone to vital records with homebirths, I have had to bring myself, my husband, and my live baby, we had to have proof of residency (mail), proof of identity (drivers licenses) and proof of pregnancy (ultrasound pic, blood test paper, or even a letter from my pastor worked for this one).

So in NC, not a big deal. But I have heard its hard in some other states.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

October 10th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Usually if you have a home birth you will have a midwife present, and i highly suggest you have atleast one midwife present otherwise it can be dangerous. Speak to your midwife about it and she will probably sort it out for you.
October 10th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Usually if you have a home birth you will have a midwife present, and i highly suggest you have atleast one midwife present otherwise it can be dangerous. Speak to your midwife about it and she will probably sort it out for you.[/b]
I dont feel that it has to be dangerous at all. Unassisted homebirths have better outcomes than any other type of births. I know my limits and I know the dangers and situations that could arise. I would be totally willing to transfer to a hospital if I felt that something were not right. I trust my body, more than anyone else. A pregnant and laboring womans body knows more about childbirth than any great mind that has ever studied the subject.

To everyone else who replied, thanks. I dont think it would be too hard to get the birth certificate. I have one more question though, isnt it pretty important that you dont let on to them that it was a planned uhb? Shouldnt I tell them that I just didnt make it to the hospital in time?

</div>
October 10th, 2006, 12:37 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to DahliaMarie Send a message via Yahoo to DahliaMarie
Quote:
Quote:
Usually if you have a home birth you will have a midwife present, and i highly suggest you have atleast one midwife present otherwise it can be dangerous. Speak to your midwife about it and she will probably sort it out for you.[/b]
I dont feel that it has to be dangerous at all. Unassisted homebirths have better outcomes than any other type of births. I know my limits and I know the dangers and situations that could arise. I would be totally willing to transfer to a hospital if I felt that something were not right. I trust my body, more than anyone else. A pregnant and laboring womans body knows more about childbirth than any great mind that has ever studied the subject.

To everyone else who replied, thanks. I dont think it would be too hard to get the birth certificate. I have one more question though, isnt it pretty important that you dont let on to them that it was a planned uhb? Shouldnt I tell them that I just didnt make it to the hospital in time?
[/b]
ITA! An UC can be a very wonderful and safe experience, if the woman is prepared. Our bodies were made to do this!

As for the second part, I'm really not sure! I would think to err on the side of caution, I would only let on to other people on a "need to know" basis- and if you could get by without telling them it was planned, it would probably save you a lot of headaches! I mean, I am planning a m/w assisted hb and I get so much crap for that, I can only imagine what a UC'er would get! Another (more crunchy) board I post on has a UC forum where a lot of women were talking about having a m/w who would send off the papers for the BC for them- to make it all easier. Sorry if I wasn't much help, I've just started reading/getting interested in UP/UC myself.

O/T, but do you also plan to UP? Maybe if you do decide to seek "professional" prenatal care, the m/w would be willing to help. I've heard that this subject should be approached early and carefully as a lot of care providers are turned off by it.

Good luck whatever you decide! I would love to hear more about it!

ETA- I just re-read your post and saw that you are already seeing someone. For some reason I was thinking you weren't yet pregnant. Baby on the brain... Anyway, most of my above post still applies!

<div align="center"></div>
October 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
its not important to tell them how it happened, it does not affect their giving it to you. It is legal in all states to have your own baby at home. Even hiring a midwife in an illegal state does not run you a risk of being arrested, it the midwife who would be arrested. At least thats my understanding, living in an illegal state.

Women who have natural births with OBs and midwives in hospitals, women who have natural births in birth centers, and women who have natural births at how with midwives present and without midwives present are going to be coming to this board. It is about natural birth, not attended or unattended birth.

October 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I didnt really think I was being too off topic. The subject of unassisted comes up a lot in here, and I know that there are women in here that are knowledgeable in the matter, as well as in the labor and delivery board. I thought I was placing my question in the right area.

</div>
October 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to DahliaMarie Send a message via Yahoo to DahliaMarie
NM- I'm just confused...

<div align="center"></div>
October 10th, 2006, 06:05 PM
my response, if its causing confusion, was about how the BOARD is about natural birth, not assisted or unassisted. That it is perfectly acceptable to talk about unassisted birth here. We all might not support it, but we need to be respectful of others choices, as its a natural birth board no matter where or with whom you deliver.

October 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
April,

Not sure if this will help at all - I'm in Canada and we homebirth with the attendance of a midwife. She's not registered in our province though.

Basically, I get the forms in advance from the provincial government. Because our midwife isn't registered in our province, she can sign the form as the birth attendant - but they still require a letter from my regular doctor to verify that YES, I was actuall pregnant, and YES, I gave birth to a healthy baby. My regular doc does all my pre and post natal care, while the midwife does the actual delivery. He has no problem writing that letter for me. The reason they need that evidence is because of people trying to claim tax breaks, lying about the birth of babies who don't exist.
October 15th, 2006, 08:04 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In Ohio, you have to have a proof of pregnancy then proof of a live birth. They actually had taken away the midwife's ability to supply these forms and just let them start doing it again.

Then we have a 14 page packet to fill out with pregnancy and birth details, how you paid, if your on assistance, etc. All in all it's pretty personal and stupid!

We then took the packet to the health department along with proof of residency and id's.

Since we had not had certain testing I HAD to have it. By law here you HAVE to have syphilis and gonorhea testing so i did that. By law your baby has to have the metabolic screening so they gave me a paper to take to her dr for it. Then they told me I could sign a religious waiver and I did stating God didn't want me to do it. She also has to have a hearing test, which I also declined due to the false positives. It's a waste of money for these people and a waste of time for everyone!

They also wanted to know if my MW gave her the antibiotic eye cream. We lied and said yes. You have to have it by law! They wanted to know if we had the vitamin k and we told them we declined it.

A few days later they said columbus approved it and we actually need to go get the copy.

Personally, I think we should be able to have our babies however we want and not be interogated when we choose not to follow the mainstream. We were both disgusted and my husband did get cocky. I may have a little too.

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search