Who is your support?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2006, 11:42 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Natural childbirth is a subject that it is sometimes hard to find support in. You will always have the people telling you that you cant do it, or that there is just no reason to go through with something like that. But... most of us have had at least one person who has stood by their side through the whole thing and always supported their decision to do it, and understands why. Who has it been for you?

For me, I am lucky to have several people to look to for guidance or support. I have a few angels at my side and I consider myself very lucky for that.
First, my wonderful husband Brad, who now that he has come this far with me, cannot understand AT ALL why women would not want to have a natural childbirth, or not want to breast feed their babies. In fact, I think he may pretty disapproving or women who wont give nature a chance and automatically go for what is "most convenient" After that, I would say that Abbey (you know her on JM as CoveredInMommy) has been such a major source of support and inspiration in my decisions! Thank you Abbey, I know you will be reading this! I also have a very supportive grandmother, who delivered all of her babies naturally at home.... and then my great Bradley Method teacher who thrives on knowing that she is doing all she can for me to have me ready and educated for the big event.

</div>
October 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a couple very big supporters of me going natural. My husband who has been supportive of every thing I have wanted to do. I don't think he was so sure at first but as we started getting into the hypnobirthing he was pretty hyped about it. He saw me through my labor, walked the halls with me, and was there to support me in every way. He was wonderful. And my Mom. She went natural with all but her first and was very supportive and encouraging that I could do the same. And of course my wonderful nurse in labor and delivery--I think she wanted me to succeed more than anyone.

That was really it. Everyone else gave me the same old "you can't do it," "you'll be begging for the epi," "don't be a hero," etc.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

October 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say my biggest support would be you, April, but you already know that. You're the one who turned me onto homebirth in such a gentle and powerful way. My family and I will be forever grateful. My husband is supportive of anything I do, but doesn't yet understand the importance of it, I don't think...next time he'll be the one with the big styrofoam finger I think, LOL. It def helps me to have wonderful centers of support like the NCB board to come to. It's great to feel surrounded by so many powerful women. Thank you all for choosing this path and sticking around to provide support for others.
October 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
...next time he'll be the one with the big styrofoam finger I think, LOL.[/b]
LOLOLOLOL! They really ought to start making those!

My biggest support is my hubby and (though she probably won't be there) my mom. I've thought about a doula but can't find one who will even think of attending an unassisted homebirth.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

October 10th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would like to think my partner, my mum and his mum will be my main source of support. My partners mum is a nurse, my partner is a doctor in training and well my mum is my mum, and im a midwife in training so there wont be a lack of medical knowledge lol.
October 10th, 2006, 08:05 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well unfortunately I havent had the benefit of having a lot of support from family - the whole homebirth thing got them I think lol. Even if it had been a hospital birth, they believe in every intervention available to man lol.

But- luckily, i do have a great support system for my natural homebirth choice. My DH is 110% behind me, alhtough he hasnt always been. Luckily he opened up to the idea, and once he started looking into it, he got won over lol.

My chiro is also a friend of mine, and has been very supportive - shell be tagging along to film the birth

Then, ive got my MW, her assistant, and my doula - who will all be present & offering both me & DH support as we need it

Its nice - I like knowing ill be here, at home, with people who care & who truly believe in womens abilities & strengths and in birth itself

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well unfortunately I havent had the benefit of having a lot of support from family - the whole homebirth thing got them I think lol. Even if it had been a hospital birth, they believe in every intervention available to man lol.

But- luckily, i do have a great support system for my natural homebirth choice. My DH is 110% behind me, alhtough he hasnt always been. Luckily he opened up to the idea, and once he started looking into it, he got won over lol.

My chiro is also a friend of mine, and has been very supportive - shell be tagging along to film the birth

Then, ive got my MW, her assistant, and my doula - who will all be present & offering both me & DH support as we need it

Its nice - I like knowing ill be here, at home, with people who care & who truly believe in womens abilities & strengths and in birth itself

Lala...[/b]
Amen! my whole darn fam would probably come out of sheer curiosity, but none of them share my views so it wouldn't be conducive to the experience I have in mind.
October 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
my husband supports me 100%, my parents respect my decisions because they are based on research, and the local homebirthing community here is also a great source of support!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

October 10th, 2006, 11:41 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Quote:
luckily, i do have a great support system for my natural homebirth choice. My DH is 110% behind me, alhtough he hasnt always been. Luckily he opened up to the idea, and once he started looking into it, he got won over lol.

Lala...[/b]
It is really nice when someone in your family, or someone as close to you as your DH is behind you. I am so happy that I have this. It didnt take much convincing to get him on my side, weather we do a unassisted homebirth, or if we go ahead and go to the birth center. I know that he would rather do it at home, as would I. But his family.... not too keen on the idea. If we decide and KNOW that we are going to do things at home, no one will know until its too late for their intervention.

I also wanted to reply to the part about your chiropractor being close with you in your birthing decisions. MINE IS TOO!!! She is just great. She taught the Bradley Method class that I attended, and she is a great source of support and inspiration for me. She is always on my butt about doing what I have to do to have the birth that I want. She never lets me slack, lol. Lets just say that some might find her attitude to be... abrasive, LOL!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search