What made you decide to do a natural childbirth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
For me it was after I had my first daughter (I had an pitocin induced labor and ended up with an epidural)... after that I knew that the next time I wanted to go as natural as possible... and I did!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just knew that I wanted to go natural--I didn't want to pump my body (or my baby's body) with lots of medication. I didn't even take the motrin they gave me afterward. My Mom went natural with all but her first and she only had positive things to say about it. I knew if I went in prepared that I could do it too, and I did! I can't wait to do it again!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

October 5th, 2006, 12:40 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
It was my first childbirth that made me want to go a different rout this time too. I had a terrible experience with my medicated hospital birth! I was young, and alone.... and uneducated. My OB at the time laughed at me when I told him I did not want meds. He said to the nurse.... Just call me when she is ready for that epi. I had no support and I didnt know what was going on. I was in transition and no one mentioned that to me... just said "You better go ahead and get the epi, because there is no reason for you to go through with this" So, I finally caved. I had a baby just a few minutes later. I was P/Oed!!!! That WILL NOT happen to me again!

</div>
October 5th, 2006, 12:52 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
First it was fear of the needles - then, as I began preparing for a natural birth, it was the understanding that my body was perfectly designed for this. From then on out, it was simply that it was best, safest, most natural, etc...

Bellies & Babies Blogger
October 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
It was my first childbirth that made me want to go a different rout this time too. I had a terrible experience with my medicated hospital birth! I was young, and alone.... and uneducated. My OB at the time laughed at me when I told him I did not want meds. He said to the nurse.... Just call me when she is ready for that epi. I had no support and I didnt know what was going on. I was in transition and no one mentioned that to me... just said "You better go ahead and get the epi, because there is no reason for you to go through with this" So, I finally caved. I had a baby just a few minutes later. I was P/Oed!!!! That WILL NOT happen to me again![/b]

Mine was pretty much the same... this time I have made the decision to have a Beautiful Birth, rather than being a patient in a hospital with meds. Baby only gets one chance to enter the world, and it's going to be lovely.
October 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I volunteered in West Africa with midwives when I was 19, and drugs weren't an option for those women. Drug free was the ONLY way to birth. They all survived it. I guess I came away knowing that we've somehow been duped into thinking that it just isn't possible to birth without a whole array of interventions.
October 6th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Mama-honey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
For me it was after I had my first daughter (I had an pitocin induced labor and ended up with an epidural)... after that I knew that the next time I wanted to go as natural as possible... and I did![/b]
October 6th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had an epi and HATED being stuck to a bed,and not feeling when to push.

Had my 2nd with just gas and air (isn't a drug) and loved it.

Had my third drug free,loved it again so this time I am going for a homebirth.

I also had quick labours with my 2nd and 3rd and wouldn't have had time for any meds.
October 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM
aihsela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aihsela Send a message via MSN to aihsela
Quote:
I volunteered in West Africa with midwives when I was 19, and drugs weren't an option for those women. Drug free was the ONLY way to birth. They all survived it. I guess I came away knowing that we've somehow been duped into thinking that it just isn't possible to birth without a whole array of interventions.[/b]
That must have been an awesome experience!

I had a very bad experience with a medicated birth with my first son. It seemed like as soon as they gave me an epidural..my labor slowed and my son got stuck. I pushed for 3 hours and they had to vacuum him out..I also had a 3rd degree episiotomy.

I vowed never to go through that or put my baby through that again. I went natural..it came hard and fast. Completely different experience. I love the fullfillment I felt of being so strong..I did it..I accomplished my goal and I had never felt more like a woman! In all honesty...it was easier than what I went through with the epidural.
October 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Regular
Quote:
First it was fear of the needles - then, as I began preparing for a natural birth, it was the understanding that my body was perfectly designed for this. From then on out, it was simply that it was best, safest, most natural, etc...[/b]
This could have been my answer... except I didn't have a fear of needles, it was more a fear of interventions that could potentially screw something up that would otherwise be fine!

I am so glad I decided to have a natural birth, and would like to do it again.
October 8th, 2006, 07:03 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had decided before I had my first I wanted natural as I didnt want anything un-natural being put into my babies body, second time around I knew I could do it fine so I did again

October 9th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Although i havent had children and dont plan on having any for quite a few years, i plan on having a natural child birth. Im will be training next year to become a qualified midwife and i hope to use my own knowledge to help myself to get as natural birth as possible. Preferably a water birth but that isnt always available. I also have a huge fear of needles being stuck in my spine lol.
October 9th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Although i havent had children and dont plan on having any for quite a few years, i plan on having a natural child birth. Im will be training next year to become a qualified midwife and i hope to use my own knowledge to help myself to get as natural birth as possible. Preferably a water birth but that isnt always available. I also have a huge fear of needles being stuck in my spine lol.
October 9th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i wanted to answer, and i haven't had children either... what made me go natural in planning then? well first it was fear of needles for me too, being strapped to a bed, and wondering how ladies around the world did it. and i just started looking it all up, and when i found out it crosses the placenta, makes them drugged, makes the mom sometimes miss the whole thing, i said i could do it the other way!

October 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Super Mommy
For me it was about power - power over my own body, my own destiny, and the power to make my own choices. I believed so strongly in my innate ability to give birth that I thought any other way would be cheating. I wanted and needed this test of strength - this rite of passage that's so missing in our culture. Once I made it through the 20-hour labor, trusting my body and its abilities, then I knew I could be a mother. I knew I'd know what to do to mother my daughter. I think if I'd had drugs, thereby second-guessing my power as a woman, I would have second-guessed myself as a mother too.

It was grueling and difficult, but totally worth it. I had my mother and two sisters and my husband there, and I needed every single one of them!
October 13th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
(after typing all this I realized I should let you all know it got really long! And I went OT a bit, sorry just wanted to give you the heads up!)
I will give my 2 cents here as I have had both experiences. Natural and a C-section. My first was natural and although it hurt like heck it was worth it. The nurse even told my Mom afterwards it was by far one of the worst labors she had ever seen because of the way my contractions came. Pushing was easy though, lol. Once they said ok its time to push I was like "lets do this!" and she was out in 5 pushes. I even broke the table on the right side from pushing. Afterwards I had to be stitched up and they put a shot of demoral in me for this. I HATED IT. Felt like I had been out drinking way too many long island iced teas. It wore off before he was done stitching and they went to shoot me up again and I said NOOOOO. The dr said but I'm not done and its going to hurt. I just laughed at him. HURT? Nothing you can do to me right now could hurt as bad as what I just went through for the past 14 hours. stitch away doc I can handle it. and really it didnt hurt at all compared to labor. With that in mind though, I was young and they never once let me out of bed. Had I been able to get up and walk around who knows what it would have been like? Less pain? Less hours or labor?
my second was breech and wouldnt turn. I even went to an accupuncturist/soft tissue repostioner who did the needles and showed me how to do the mugwort incense on my little toe. Ends up her head (yup she has a big head like her daddy) was stuck up in my rib cage area. Found this out when they delivered her by c-section and one dr had to go push down on her head to unstick it. I didnt attempt the turning thing they could do because I was really afraid of that. The risk of hurting her, or her turning right back around had me afraid.
now unless this one has a big head too and doesnt turn I want natural again. I felt horrible for weeks after the surgery. It hurt to laugh, sneeze, cough, sit, stand, etc. NOTHING was comfortable. The day after having her I started walking laps in the hospital. BENT OVER cause I couldnt stand up straight. IN SO MUCH PAIN for days. And then the incision got infected two weeks later and sarted the whole process all over again! Couldnt stand up, in pain, etc. Natural may hurt but at least once the babys head is out, WHEW all the pain just goes away! I am all for a section if necessary. I dont think anyone should never have one. But it should be avoided if possible. I hear of women scheduling thier C-sections because of thier busy schedules or for a specific date or whatever silly reason. That drives me insane. YOU DONT SCHEDULE THE NATURAL BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD like a hair apt! If you have to do that you are going to be in for a shock. Cause you cant schedule when your baby will get sick. Or when she just stays up crying all night long so the next day you cant go to work. ARGH I hope, especially since its the natural childbirth board, I dont tick anyone off with this comment. I sure wouldnt make it on any other board lol too chicken for the backlash! But it seems to be something I hear more and more often and I just dont get it.
Sorry this got so long. So there is my answer lol and then some....
October 13th, 2006, 07:19 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amen Sista Girl!! I knew there was a slightly crunchier version of you hidden in tehre somewhere but it doesnt come out much on our board, huh?
October 13th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to zagatamommy
my mom had 3 kids naturally and suggested i do the same. i agreed with her. people think im crazy but i want to feel the real pain and "enjoy the expierence". i didnt want to be in a drugged haze for the greatest moment in my life and i didnt want my baby that way eaither. i felt like that strongest woman in the world afterwards. if i had had an epidural i would not have been able to see my sick baby as soon as i did. i tell everyone about what a great expierence it was. so many people only hear horror stories about childbirth. they need to hear more positive things. i cant wait to do it again!!!
October 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Amen Sista Girl!! I knew there was a slightly crunchier version of you hidden in tehre somewhere but it doesnt come out much on our board, huh?[/b]

LOL Crunchier??? LMAO I have been called many things in my life but this is a first.
I dont want to start WWIII with my feelings over there. Like I said if its absolutely necessary then I am all for it. But scheduling it in like a lunch apt is insane.
October 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
irishxrose
I decided to do a natural birth for any future children because of the birth of my son, and because my mom went natural with me and my brother, and after I had Joshua I realized that I should have just went natural, and that if my mom (she HATES pain) could handle naturally birthing me and my brother, then I can do it too. (wow that was one big run-on sentence )

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search