I'm switching to a midwife!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2006, 01:47 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Ob wasn't in today so I had to see her partner. Well, she was so rude! I asked her if she minded looking over my birth plan and she said in a nasty attitude that I don't need one! I also told her that I wanted to do the Bradley Method and she said that they(her and her partner[my real doc]) didn't do that and if that was what I really wanted that I should think about switching practices! How could she say a thing like that! So... I decided to switch to the practice that my friend is at. She has mainly midwives at her practice. I called them and they said that they don't particularly do the Bradley Method but if I wanted a natural/no drugs birth that they are okay with that. They also take my insurance and I have seen them in action(going to a friend's appt) and they are very friendly. I think I will get better care over there. All I have to do is get my doc to fax over my records and they will let me know if they can take me on. I am so excited. I will call them tomorrow morning and find out what's going on. I really hope I can switch. Wish me luck! I'm going to get the birth that I want!

Chelci

October 9th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Regular
wow - I can't believe some OBs have such a horrible attitude! I hope the switch goes smoothly for you!
October 9th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Thank you! I was just taken aback by what she said and the look on her face when she said it.

October 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM
MaMaTuTu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a jerk!! i love midwives!! Glad you found a place you'll like!

Mommy to:
O(8/9/05)
K(2/27/07)
"Beanie"(EDD 12/18/08)
Tube bean missing since 12/1/07
October 9th, 2006, 04:17 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds great

Try to meet with the midwives either way and see what their opinion is and how they encourage natural births, etc.

But from the sounds of it, it doesnt sound like its going to take much to get a better care provider than the ones you had lol!

Keep us posted!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 9th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks ladies!

October 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Midwifes rock.
I'm glad you found out all this now instead of while you were in labour. I hope you love your new midwife.
October 10th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Katherine Sarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ! Im gonna be training to be a midwife in september and most if not all midwives are encouraged to promote natural child birth aswell as breast feeding. The attitude i get from many doctors (mostly ob/gyns) is that they tend to forget alot of the time that child birth is NATURAL! unless there is a medical complication, slow progress, distress etc then there really is no need for medical intervention. I hope you have tons of success with your midwife and that you have an excellent experiance giving birth.
October 10th, 2006, 11:13 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Good for you! It will be so much better for you. OB's are just hot to trot when the idea of natural childbirth comes up. I recently decided that I dont think I ever want to see an OB again in my life. Hope you dont mind, I am going to tell you why.
When my records were transferred from the OB here in town to the midwife who I have decided to see, she set up a first time visit so we could go over my records and check on the baby and just talk. We spoke for about an hour. One of the things that was brought up was an irregular pap that I had about 3 months ago. I have had several visits with the OB since he did the pap, and not once did he tell me that I had something going on. Apparently I have some cancerous lesion on my cervix. He had scheduled me a colposcopy and biopsy for 28w along. Our next visit would have been 28w. I guess he had no plan of telling me that I had this wrong with me until the day that I was supposed to go have the procedure done. WTH???? I didnt have much respect for the average OB doctor before that, but now I have none. I dont see myself trusting an OB with my body ever again. I cant believe that he would just not mention this problem for 3 months! Luckily the midwife said that it is not going to affect my birth, but she still thinks I should have the procedure done. I am fighting with myself about this now, I dont know what I will do.
Anyways, I just wanted to share and let you know that you are not the only one. I think that for a natural momma the midwife choice is probably the best choice. Good luck with your new midwife!

</div>
October 10th, 2006, 12:42 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to DahliaMarie Send a message via Yahoo to DahliaMarie
Good luck, Chelci. I'm glad you are taking the steps to have the birth you want and deserve! Keep us updated!

<div align="center"></div>
October 10th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks ladies!

@doornail, I'm sorry that happened to you! I hope everything turns out to be alright.

Chelci

October 10th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow i was really under the impression that most people do either bradley or lamaze, and that even hospitals do bradley.. wow kinda shocked

October 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Well ladies, I am in the process of switching. I went to the new practice today and filled out the records release form and they are going to get my old practice to fax the records over! Yay!!

Chelci

October 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YAY!! SO happy for you!
October 13th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am no longer surprised by what I hear ob's or any Dr say anymore. Years ago when I was in my late teens like 18/19 I used to get such horrible periods. I went to a woman Dr thinking she (being a woman) would be more compassionate (sp?) then a man. Was I WRONG. After examining me she said she didnt see anything wrong or any cause for my "severe" pain. She told me flat out she thinks it's psychological! After going to another dr and having a laparoscopy they found out I had endometriosis! Then years later I was dealing w/a different dr. Again really bad periods and pain. Constant bleeding. I went to him like 3 times in one month and told him how bad it hurt and begged for pain meds. nope again all in my head. Ended up being cysts that were on my tubes and breaking. Causing all the pain and constant bleeding.
I am glad you are switching to someone you will be more comfortable with. I give you so much credit for standing up for what you want and believe in at your age. When I was 17 I was too afraid to speak my mind to my elders who had degrees. You should be very proud of yourself for doing what you feel is best for you and your baby.
YOU GO GIRL!
October 14th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Thank you ladies! I called them(My doc's office) yesterday and they said they new practice hadn't faxed over the records release form yet. Well I called the new practice and they said they faxed it the previous day as soon as I walked out. Grr... why are they giving me the run around. I have to call my insurance to make sure I can switch and then I will call them again on Monday afternoon.

October 14th, 2006, 02:36 PM
irishxrose
Wow girls... I am so sad to hear this. My OB practice is supportive of whatever we decide how to birth, so this is just horrible to me! I really think some doctors need to smarten up and stop treating birth like a disease! I guess I was lucky that my doctor and nurses didn't force anything on me, and let me choose!
October 14th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its so interesting that they all are educated, but all approach it in different ways. I think it also depends on how they were trained, whether they are more open to the patient or think they are more of the expert.. i think that makes a big difference in your view of patients

October 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
its so interesting that they all are educated, but all approach it in different ways. I think it also depends on how they were trained, whether they are more open to the patient or think they are more of the expert.. i think that makes a big difference in your view of patients[/b]
That's a great point Lauren.
October 15th, 2006, 07:33 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope you are able to use the midwives!!

I had a great ob with Joshua but I prefer midwife care over ANYTHING now. I'm spoiled, lol. This time around it was FANTASTIC!!

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search