pediatricians & homebirthing

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, im thinking that this is just another wacky way of our lovely area I live in. Ugh.

So - I had the baby wednesday Oct 11 - go get checked by the OB (oops - I didnt make it to the hospital). Hes cool about it - checks me & baby over, and suggests we go ahead and set something up with the ped so she can be established as a patient. Ok, no prob.

Well we stop by the peds office since it was right there, they go get the dr - and the dr treats us like CRAP. Basically, long story short, he wants us to take the baby to the ER (uh, NO THANKS), and makes all these comments like "We have NO idea what type of prenatal care you received" etc... i told him wed just come from teh OBs office, he just shrugged us off, made it sound like a huge deal and that the baby needed to be "tested" and given Hep b vaccine (uh thanks but no thanks again) and have a panel of blood drawn, etc.

Pft.. So we leave, if I hadnt been so exhausted, Id have gone off, but Id delivered just that morning and had been at my OBs already & was just plain tuckered out.

So home I go. I call today to speak to the head ped (who weve always seen, rather than this crackpot dr). They again treat us like crap. Call me back and basically try to chew me out and sya the head ped waited at the Er for us until 7 pm that night. WHATEVER. We never said we were going, they never said theyd be there waiting for us. And why if hes gonna check her out not just see her at the office - why the ER where its full of sick people?!

Anyways - so after going a few more rounds with the office manager over the phone & me explaining my son has been a patient there since they OPENED their office in this town, and that i was no way taking the baby to the ER, never said I would, etc - they are talking to the ped again to see if hell take her as a new patient. Im pretty sure at this point I dont want her seen there, but hey whatever. Oh, the other thing was that if I dont vaccinate on their schedule they wont see her, b/c theyre not going to "take responsibility for a baby if the parents dont care enough abuot their baby's health to protect them". Uh yeah whatever.

Sigh, Im so frustrated. ***?! Who knew having a homebirth would lead to this much CRAP with the PED?!

Anyone else have these problems? What did you end up doing? I really dont udnerstand this. Even my DH the most straight narrow conservative by the book type guy was like "so theyre concerned about the health of the baby and therefore theyre going to deny them pediatric care?! RIGHHHHHHHT".

Sigh.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 16th, 2006, 03:07 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry they treated you like that. Completely uncalled for! I don't have any advice but wanted to offer some

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

October 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would hightail my ##### out of there ASAP. There is a yahoo group that suggests great AP tye dr's they might have one in your area.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AP_Doctor_Referral/
October 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's really horrible. I would definitely be on the hunt for a new Ped.

Luckily, my OB and Ped are the same guy! Our situation is a little unusual because he does all my pre-natal care, then my midwife comes for our homebirth (she lives 3 hours away). Then baby and I BOTH go back to Dr. B for baby's 1 week check-up and my 6 week post partum check. While he doesn't medically endorse the homebirth, he has been very respectful of our choice and not at all condescending about it.
October 16th, 2006, 07:27 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow. that's all I can say. wow. I am so sorry that you had to go through that today. That must be really sucky not having any other options. If it helps we're all on your side.....and I'll be there in four months or so.
October 17th, 2006, 06:21 AM
momma6_2angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think the ped we had this time was very ok with how we had Maddie at home and didn't want any testing or that crap. Heck, after i told him a few times we did not want testing he called me at home in the evening to try and talk me into testing. Then he sent us a script for labwork. The script is still on dh's desk!

I've been snowballed!!!(CoveredinMommy Iowajenny x2, alpinedoe, shelly e, skittles4you, jbcrmommy, nicolee, ecstaticmommy)
</div>
October 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
El Sucko! What a jerk! I wouldnt want her there after that either!
If we have our baby at home or at the birth center we have picked out, we will still probably have the same issue. I wont be having any testing done on my son, nor any shots either place. I will be responsible for finding a ped. within 2 weeks of birth, is what my midwife told me. So.... who knows. I might find myself in the same situation as you. My DD's pediatrician already scoffed at me and tried to belittle me just for using a midwife instead of an OB so I doubt thats where I will be taking my son. I sure hope you get this all figured out!

April

</div>
October 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Off topic, but, well, I'm jelous you had a homebirth and was able to "run errands" afterwards!!! How cool is that?! I'm sorry they took some of the magic out of YOUR special day!

October 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
UndaCovaSis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey, I was your home birth unassisted? When I had my daughter at home, there was no need for a ped. The midwife was/is trained to care for the baby for the first 6 weeks. After the first six weeks, when both of our care is over, the midwife gives a letter w/ all the important information and numbers on it and I take that to the ped.

So Crunchy
October 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had to use a lay midwife to be able to have a homebirth - so shes pretty much "underground" lol. So - we had an OB technically who kinda sorta knew what was going on & was ok with it, and I used him for shadow care in the event that a transport became necessary. So - as far as anyone else knew - we just didnt make it to the hospital in time. My OB checked me out the day I had the baby and said we were fine - the ped didnt seem to like the fact that we werent hospitalized for "observation" (as if well just spontaneously combust or somthing).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
the ped didnt seem to like the fact that we werent hospitalized for "observation" (as if well just spontaneously combust or somthing).[/b]
ROFLOL! How sad is it that that one statement completely summarises the attitudes of most doctors? I'm sorry it's such a nightmare situation but at least you haven't lost your sense of humor!
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search