Log In Sign Up

VBAC


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
April 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 10,093
I have had 2 c-sections. The 1st one was because my dr didn't want to wait and said "failure to progress" (my water was only broke for 12hrs total from time they broke it to time they cut me open and I was at 5cm) and 2nd time I was doing a homebirth. The baby's heart rate was going too high with the contractions so my midwife suggested we go to the hospital. The hospital hooked me up to IVs and everything was fine.When they found out I had a prior c-section they said it was "hospital policy" that I had to have another. I was pretty upset!! I felt cheated,especially after 17hrs of labor drug-free.
Anyway, my Q is, can they not try for a natural delivery after 2 c-sections? I was cut in the same place and both double stitched and stapled. we are TTC and I was hoping I can try 1 more time for a natural delivery.
__________________
Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born still at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Eleanor & Penelope (2/6/2015) 3VBA2C, 1lb 11oz and 2lbs 5oz,
identical twin girls born still at 26w.


Reply With Quote
  #2  
April 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,396
VBA2C is possible. Put VBA2C into a search engine. It should bring up some stories of women that have done it.
That & check out the ican site, it has some wonderful resources on VBAC
__________________


Mama to -
DD17, DD16, DD14, DS12, DS6, DD4, DD1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
April 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 10,093
Quote:
VBA2C is possible. Put VBA2C into a search engine. It should bring up some stories of women that have done it.
That & check out the ican site, it has some wonderful resources on VBAC [/b]
Thanks I appreciate that! It's encouraging.
__________________
Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born still at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Eleanor & Penelope (2/6/2015) 3VBA2C, 1lb 11oz and 2lbs 5oz,
identical twin girls born still at 26w.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
April 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 12,934
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
statistically there is no greater risks involved in a VBA2C than a normal one. HOWEVER, lots of hospitals/doctors refuse to do them anymore due to the risk of lawsuits. Sounds to me like the hospital you were at last time was that way. But keep in mind, they can't FORCE you to have a c-section if you dont' want one and there is no danger of the baby dying immediately. You have to sign a consent form first.

Definitely find a midwife/doctor that will let you try for one, either at home or at a hospital that will allow it. Also, your risk of uterine rupture and other complications is GREATLY increased if you have labor-inducing drugs (pitocin).
__________________
Kellisa, Mama to:
Courtney, Nola, Kya, and Whitney

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!




Reply With Quote
  #5  
April 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: On Top of Mt. Laundry
Posts: 3,943
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Why wouldn't the hospital want a mom to have a VBAC if she wants one? What kind of lawsuit? Many moms request a c-section because their uncomfortable with the idea of a vaginal birth...so maybe these moms can but others who have had to have an emergency c-section they don't even consider it? It seems doctors see the worst situations first, instead of being prepared for the worst but going with what the patient wants.
__________________
Jump into Spring! BPAFreeKids.com wishes you good times and warmer weather!

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
April 25th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 12,934
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Why wouldn't the hospital want a mom to have a VBAC if she wants one? What kind of lawsuit? Many moms request a c-section because their uncomfortable with the idea of a vaginal birth...so maybe these moms can but others who have had to have an emergency c-section they don't even consider it? It seems doctors see the worst situations first, instead of being prepared for the worst but going with what the patient wants.[/b]
The main reason is the risk of a uterine rupture. It happens less than 1% of the time with VBACs, but for doctors, that means about 1 in 200 births... now if they do say 400 births in a year, that's at least two that likely will go wrong. That's just too high a risk for them then the patient could sue for the doctor not taking action soon enough or any other reason that "resulted" in the problem.

from what I've heard, a lot of times the doctor will "allow" it but the hospital will refuse, that way they are both covering their butts. It's annoying. The problem is finding a midwife or birth clinic that will allow you to have a VBAC outside the hospital. A lot of times they want you there so that if something DOES go wrong, you are right where it can be fixed.
__________________
Kellisa, Mama to:
Courtney, Nola, Kya, and Whitney

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!




Reply With Quote
  #7  
April 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 10,093
Quote:
Why wouldn't the hospital want a mom to have a VBAC if she wants one? What kind of lawsuit? Many moms request a c-section because their uncomfortable with the idea of a vaginal birth...so maybe these moms can but others who have had to have an emergency c-section they don't even consider it? It seems doctors see the worst situations first, instead of being prepared for the worst but going with what the patient wants.[/b]
I LOVED the whole experience of the home birth and was very much looking forward to a 100% natural delivery, but once got to the hospital, they never even gave me a chance. Learning from the 1st delivery, I have been self-educated ever since. It has served me very well, especially when I found out I had hypothyroism. My DS was 2mos and I was delaing with serious fatigue. A bunch of women from church suggested I get tested for it. I did a ton of research online and went into my dr. I requested to be tested for it and his response was " Well, now we don't know that's what it is, it may not be that, you may be dealing with postpartum, but I'll test you anyway just to rule it out." Good thing I requested it!!
__________________
Stacey, wife to Allan & Mom to:
Anastasia (14) C/S, 8lbs 7oz, 20.5"
Noah (11) C/S, 8lbs 12oz, 19"
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5"
Grayson (10/16/13)2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born still at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w
Eleanor & Penelope (2/6/2015) 3VBA2C, 1lb 11oz and 2lbs 5oz,
identical twin girls born still at 26w.


Reply With Quote
  #8  
April 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,396
A midwife delivery may still be possible in some cases of VBA2C if this is something that you would be interested in. I would check & see who & what is available in your area.
__________________


Mama to -
DD17, DD16, DD14, DS12, DS6, DD4, DD1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:27 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0