About the Eye Drops......

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Quote:
Pinkeye in Newborns
Newborns are particularly susceptible to pinkeye and can be more prone to serious health complications if it goes untreated.

If a baby is born to a mother who has an STD, during delivery the bacteria or virus can pass from the birth canal into the baby's eyes, causing pinkeye. To prevent this, doctors give antibiotic ointment or eye drops to all babies immediately after birth. Occasionally, this preventive treatment causes a mild chemical conjunctivitis, which typically clears up on its own. Doctors also can screen pregnant women for STDs and treat them during pregnancy to prevent transmission of the infection to the baby.

Many babies are born with a narrow or blocked tear duct, a condition which usually clears up on its own. Sometimes, though, it can lead to conjunctivitis.

Link[/b]
So, yea, I don't think there is a need for this. While I DO have HPV, the strand I have is not an STD, and therefore will not cause Pink-Eye. It is interesting that I read this today though, my daughter has pink eye, and we just went to the doctor today about it. He said he was shocked to see that she had an ear infection in both ears......I just read this.....

Quote:
Pinkeye can be caused by many of the bacteria and viruses responsible for colds and other infections, — including ear infections, sinus infections, and sore throats — and by the same types of bacteria that cause the sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) chlamydia and gonorrhea.[/b]
...how could he be shocked, if ear infections CAUSE pink-eye?! Grr, doctors...the more I think about it, the more I want a home-birth, DH is dead set against it though. I kind of hope I go into labor while he is at work, so I can call and say, hey come home, and by the time he gets home Jenni will be born, lol.

So, yea, they give these eye drops to ALL babies, even if the mother does not have an STD..."just incase" don't they test for all STDs...wouldn't they KNOW if these were actually needed....is this just another scam to get more money? WOW
April 26th, 2007, 05:11 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
We didnt allow the eye ointment either. And I also have HPV. My son never had any problems to speak of with his eyes, lol. My daughter on the other hand DID have the eye ointment and her tearducts were constantly plugged. So yeah, *I* think the stuff is bologna.

</div>
April 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the eye drops/ointment are actually intended for gonorrhea/syphillis (sp?) from everythign Ive heard.

Its to prevent it from spreading via contact with the eyes as they pass through the birth canal. Again, just what Ive learned... And it was started during WW1 or 2 when a lot of soldeirs were coming home from the war with STD's & passing them along to their wives, and it was commonly seen in babies. There was little screening for STDs (unlike now) and also fewer treatments so even when they knew they had it, they werent always treated as well during pg.

We didnt do it. No reason to.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't do eyedrops, and we would have fought them off in the hospital.

Beyond that I just wanted to say that I really hope you can convince your DH to give you the birth that you want and not go into labor and have the baby without him. There is a hurt that runs in having a missing partner that runs so deep it can tear you apart. I know it's different for me because I wanted my DH there, but I have a feeling that it would be detrimental even if he was unwanted.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

April 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Oh, no I want him there, I want him to be the one to catch our baby, and so does he. I wouldn't do that to him....unless, of course I had no choice, and it just happened. I do plan to have Jenni in the hospital, I just would prefer a "hands-off" birth that Lala described before, it would be nice, but I doubt I'll get that unless I we go with our plan of locking ourselves in the bathroom and having her on our own then telling the nurses "Oops, I was showering and she came so fast." that is our plan as of right now, lol.

And yes, from what I was reading it is only effected by those 2 STDs, which I do not have....why is it such a routine thing now, these STDs really can't be THAT common can they?

oh it wasn't syphillis it was chlamydia....don't have that either, lol.
April 27th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
None of my babies had the eye drops..... never will! :-)

April 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Veteran
Oh jesus. Another thing to worry about.

And the bad part is I have to do all this research on my own and my gf doesn't listen to a word I say. She believes in the doctors. *sigh*

Why would you give eye drops to all babies when you're not testing to see if the mom has STDs? What kind of stupidity is this?

I'm a proud father to a bouncing baby boy!
April 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Occasionally, this preventive treatment causes a mild chemical conjunctivitis, which typically clears up on its own.[/b]
Just thought I would make this part known, it was in the original post, but I am not sure if any of you missed it....lol, so we are going to give these drops to all babies, even the ones born to STD negative mothers (when only the ones born to STD + mothers ACTUALLY need it....kinda), even though the drops can CAUSE pink-eye anyway.....so...again, what is the point? How dangerous is pink eye? You keep the eye clean and it is no big deal....no point inthe eye drops, IMHO, not even for babies born to the TWO STDs that can cause this...yes, only TWO STDs can cause it....come on Doc's get real!?
April 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Its pretty dumb. There are just TWO std's that you have to worry about and they are BOTH tested for early in pregnancy. SOOOOOO you would think that just THOSE women who tested positive for syphilis or chlamydia would have to get their babies the drops. BUT NO. And most women never even ask what they are for, what the side effects could be, or if their baby is in any danger without them they just trust the doctors and allow it and never think twice about it. I know thats how I was with my first baby... I didnt have a clue. I thought there was a good reason and she must NEED them or the docs wouldnt do it.

</div>
April 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM
yvonne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't want the drops as I don't have any STD's and no chance of it, but in Idaho, if you don't let them give them to your baby, it is an automatic call to CPS. And they gave me a huge lecture about how the drops prevent the #1 cause of blindness in third world countries and they asked if I just didn't want them because I hadn't read about them. I told them 'no I don't want them because I have done my research.' I was so mad, but I let them give the drops so as to give CPS no reason to come see me. That is just scary thought. I just wiped it out of his eyes the second the nurse was out of the room.

Stocking every Wednesday at 3.</span>
April 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just a note~ But a few drops of breastmilk in an infected pink eye a few times a day clears it right up.

April 28th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Yea, they MIGHT call DCF, who would come into the hospital to speak with you. They would not go to your house for something that happened at birth. They have every right to call if they think you are endangering your child, HOWEVER, once they come in and speak with you, and you let them know your reasons and that you have done your research, everything will be dropped immediatly. DCF would NOT and CAN NOT open a case because of this. They use calling them as a way to scare you into doing what they want, please don't let them do that again. I remember when I had Owen, I was "homeless" but living in a shelter (thank Gaia that is over!!!) but the nurses called DCF because "the baby will be homeless and it is winter" DCF came in and all she asked was "Does this baby have a place to live?" I told her "Yes, we are in the local shelter" she said "Ok" and left, that was the end of it, lol. Don't worry about it, they just want to scare you into doing what they want. If they threaten to call DCF, tell them to go for it, because DCF will have no case against you for doing the best for your child.

Quote:
Just a note~ But a few drops of breastmilk in an infected pink eye a few times a day clears it right up.[/b]
And yes, this is true...makes me wish my milk already came in, so I could do this for Syra, but she is on Meds atm, one med for both the pinkeye and for the ear infections so it works out nicely.
April 29th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
the eye drops/ointment are actually intended for gonorrhea/syphillis (sp?) from everythign Ive heard.[/b]
Which here I believe are both tested for in the intial blood work.
That said they don't do the eye drops in Australia, so that's something that we thankfully don't have to worry about.
No CPS for us! (Because considering I have had ONE sexual partner in my life there would be no way they'd be sticking that stuff in my newborn babies eyes!!!)

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
April 30th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am from Australia too - i didn't know that we didn't have to do it !!!! YAY !! Now I know no-one will be able to do it behind my back !!

May 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
NOBODY HAS TO DO IT. NO ONE. IT IS YOUR RIGHT AS A MOTHER.
May 7th, 2007, 09:18 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
NOBODY HAS TO DO IT. NO ONE. IT IS YOUR RIGHT AS A MOTHER.[/b]

That's true, but I did have a friend who opted against it who had to get a court order to waive this "treatment" for her baby at the hospital. It was messy.

May 8th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I didn't want the drops as I don't have any STD's and no chance of it, but in Idaho, if you don't let them give them to your baby, it is an automatic call to CPS. And they gave me a huge lecture about how the drops prevent the #1 cause of blindness in third world countries and they asked if I just didn't want them because I hadn't read about them. I told them 'no I don't want them because I have done my research.' I was so mad, but I let them give the drops so as to give CPS no reason to come see me. That is just scary thought. I just wiped it out of his eyes the second the nurse was out of the room.[/b]
Wow I find that shocking. I didn't have any problems at all when I told the nurse that I didn't want drops. She was totally fine with it as was our dd's dr. All I had to do was sign a waiver basically saying that I was refusing eye drops and the vit. k shot. The funny thing is that we still hadn't made up our minds about the vit. k, but the nurse recommended we sign for both because we could always ask for it later if we changed our minds. Maybe they are much more progressive here in Iowa .
May 10th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I am pressuming they don't do it in other states, because on the Aussie boards I've never seen a birth pic of a baby posted with that goop in their eyes.

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
May 10th, 2007, 03:52 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
they dont do it in Ireland. if i specifically request it because i think there is a chance i could have contracted a STD since my last blood work then they will.

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search