Log In Sign Up

ARGH! The wait is so frustrating!


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
May 14th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 180
So as you can see by our ticker, we're only 8 days from our baby's due date and my gf just went in for her OB exam and the docs said her cervix is not effacing and is completely shut.

I know that this could change at anytime and within a matter of hours but the wait is agonizing.

The OB did recommend that we DTD to try to induce labor naturally, so that's one plus.
__________________



I'm a proud father to a bouncing baby boy!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
May 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salina, Kansas
Posts: 6,665
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
LOL! Just so you know, my DH and I DTD in the beginning stages of labor. It never hurts to try

And you are right, that stuff can change at any time. Especially with a first time mommy. Have you thought about trying to talk her into using EPO vaginally? It can help to soften up that cervix and get it ripe and ready to go. (This may be TMI, and it makes me blush a little to say it ) But you can even use EPO oil (just break open a capsule) as a lube for DTD.
__________________
<div align="center">


</div>
Reply With Quote
  #3  
May 14th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 180
Quote:
LOL! Just so you know, my DH and I DTD in the beginning stages of labor. It never hurts to try

And you are right, that stuff can change at any time. Especially with a first time mommy. Have you thought about trying to talk her into using EPO vaginally? It can help to soften up that cervix and get it ripe and ready to go. (This may be TMI, and it makes me blush a little to say it ) But you can even use EPO oil (just break open a capsule) as a lube for DTD.[/b]
They said her cervix was soft, so I think it's ripe already. The doc was even able to feel the baby's head.
__________________



I'm a proud father to a bouncing baby boy!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
May 14th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Ms.Michelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
So as you can see by our ticker, we're only 8 days from our baby's due date and my gf just went in for her OB exam and the docs said her cervix is not effacing and is completely shut.

I know that this could change at anytime and within a matter of hours but the wait is agonizing.

The OB did recommend that we DTD to try to induce labor naturally, so that's one plus. [/b]

Quote:
Quote:
LOL! Just so you know, my DH and I DTD in the beginning stages of labor. It never hurts to try

And you are right, that stuff can change at any time. Especially with a first time mommy. Have you thought about trying to talk her into using EPO vaginally? It can help to soften up that cervix and get it ripe and ready to go. (This may be TMI, and it makes me blush a little to say it ) But you can even use EPO oil (just break open a capsule) as a lube for DTD.[/b]
They said her cervix was soft, so I think it's ripe already. The doc was even able to feel the baby's head.
[/b]
I'm so excited for you.

(BTW: What if she is later? )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
May 14th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 180
What do you mean if she's later Ms. Michelle?

Do you mean if she goes past 40 weeks?

I think our next step would be to try natural forms of induction i.e. castor oil, membrane stripping etc.
__________________



I'm a proud father to a bouncing baby boy!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
May 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Ms.Michelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
What do you mean if she's later Ms. Michelle?

Do you mean if she goes past 40 weeks?

I think our next step would be to try natural forms of induction i.e. castor oil, membrane stripping etc.[/b]
Yeppers.. Overdue or late would be more like 43 weeks. Having a first time baby at 41-42 weeks is normal. (Some of the doctors will tell you otherwise though.) Keep DTD and hopefully baby will come. They have their own time schedule.

Hang in there bud. I hope baby will come sooner than later.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 14th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 2,995
Don't go by her due date, go by her due date plus a week, then start to think about natural induction. PLEASE, whatever happens, don't allow her doc to talk her into being induced...that is only for their convenience!!! This is her first baby, so she will most likely go well past her "due date" I am not sure why they call it a due date, it isn't like a bill that MUST be made by that date, you are allowed a couple weeks grace period before being late (plus there are no late fees )
Reply With Quote
  #8  
May 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Ms.Michelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
I was just thinking of something that might help.. Go out and buy her roses. Not for that reason! Get her to start visualizing a flower with it's petal's opening. (That's what we want our vagina's to do, right?)

Anyway, that and DTD!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
May 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 180
Quote:
I was just thinking of something that might help.. Go out and buy her roses. Not for that reason! Get her to start visualizing a flower with it's petal's opening. (That's what we want our vagina's to do, right?)

Anyway, that and DTD![/b]
LOL! Would that work?

Anyway, thanks for the support ladies.

I hope my son arrives soon. I don't think I can wait for 42 weeks. He wouldn't be a May baby then, but a June baby. Boo!
__________________



I'm a proud father to a bouncing baby boy!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
May 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Ms.Michelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Don't underestimate the power of the mind!

I hope for her sake and yours, your son comes ASAP! I would bet in a day or two, a few gals will have more ideas.. You could also buy her some raspberry leaf tea ~ it's supposed to help soften that cervix and strengthen the uterus among other things. Check out this link.

Quote:
Another herbal remedy that can be used in conjunction with raspberry leaves is squaw vine. Like raspberry leaves, it has traditionally been considered a useful aid to labour and childbirth. As its name suggests, North American Indian women regularly took it in the weeks leading up to childbirth. Like raspberry leaves, it is a uterine tonic which helps to ease and speed up labour and birth. There is no research about the effectiveness of squaw vine.

Squaw vine can be obtained from a herbalist in the form of a tincture. She will advise you of how much to take and how often. It should not be taken until the last few weeks of pregnancy.[/b]
source
Reply With Quote
  #11  
May 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
*Aspen*
Guest
Posts: n/a
Hi there! Wow, close to DD huh?

The majority of first time mothers are pregnant for about 41 weeks, but rest assured that your son will arrive not early or late, but precisely when he intends to

I know natural induction methods are tempting, but please avoid castor oil. It really is not a healthy form of natural induction.

EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) was recommended. This worked great for me. You can find them in any health store or a walgreens....the bottles are around the herbal medicine, they cost about 15 for a bottle. She can either take them orally or vaginally. I started taking them orally, but they left a funny metallic taste in my mouth. My MW told me to start taking them vaginally.

I would go lay down in bed, take out 4 pills (they look like vitamin E capsules) and I would poke some holes in each pill with a needle. I had a roll of napkins next to the bed as my fingers would get icky from the oil leaking out. I'd lay down and insert each pill to surround my cervix. Be sure to have her wear a pad to bed as the oil will leak out. She shouldn't stand or sit up for 1-2 hours. The best time to do this is bedtime, but of course, pregnant women must pee. She won't die if she has to get up and go pee it's ok. BUT, she may freak out when she sees her pee is rather cloudy. This is nothing to worry about, it's just the oil skimming the top of the urine in the toilet. Keep in mind that it's oil.
I would start getting contractions about 10 minutes after insertion.

Using it as a lubricant is another way to use it (as previously recommended). Sex alone is great. Semen has ...oxytocin is it?? in it and it works great to help her along. P.S........the semen works even better if it's ingested....*ahem* ok...so....

have a lovely day
Reply With Quote
  #12  
May 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salina, Kansas
Posts: 6,665
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
LOL!

At my 40W appt, my MW actually put the capsules in there for me She didnt even poke holes in them like I had always done at home. She put 6 of the smaller ones right up into the opening of my cervix (which was currently 4cm dilated) I had my baby one week later. It never made me have contractions at all. But I had contractions all of the time anyways. But when it came time for "labor" I was a 6 when I realized it WAS labor and I had my son about a couple hours later. I think it really helped to make my cervix soft enough that it dilated easily.
__________________
<div align="center">


</div>
Reply With Quote
  #13  
May 14th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Karen Elizabeth's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 681
Quote:
Using it as a lubricant is another way to use it (as previously recommended). Sex alone is great. Semen has ...oxytocin is it?? in it and it works great to help her along. P.S........the semen works even better if it's ingested....*ahem* ok...so....

have a lovely day [/b]
Wow, Crimson, keeps getting better and better for you!
__________________
<div align="center">








</div>
Reply With Quote
  #14  
May 15th, 2007, 08:34 AM
abigailsilva's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,103
yes, due dates are a crock, you should be given a due MONTH, try those things if you must, but remember that the sooner YOU try getting the baby out, the sooner the doc will be able to talk you into it. Induvtion is foolish and dangerous, and PLEASE do not consider membrane stripping a natural form of induction. Having a doc SHOVE his fingers INTO your gf's cervix (which HURTS) and then moving around and tearing the membranes, or bag aof waters away from the walls of the uterus, is NOT something I consider natural, it significantly increases your risks of PROM and the likelihood of pitocin, epidural, and the cascade of interventions that follow. JMHO. Good luck, go out to dinner, RELAX, don't pressure her, rub her feet, make love, think warm fuzzy thoughts, realaxation is improtant. You guys will never again get this kind of alone time. Trust me.
__________________
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">I HAVE 12 SMILES IN THE JM SWAP SHOP!!!</div>
Reply With Quote
  #15  
May 23rd, 2007, 07:50 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 180
*sigh*

Still waiting.

The cervix is soft, does that mean it's ripe?

Yesterday was her due date and we went to see the OB, it was a man and I really didn't like him too much. He confirmed my dislike for him by attaching her to the EFM for 45 minutes to an hour. The female nurse who looked at our chart said the baby looked perfectly fine and said that we could go home. When he came in and looked at it, he said he saw some "variables" (i.e. the heartrate accelerating and decelerating) and he wanted us to go to the hospital for an OCT.

An OCT is an oxtyocin controlled test, where they give you a little pitocin to see how the baby would respond to "real labor contractions". I was unsure about the whole thing and didn't like the sound of it, but my gf and I decided that we'd ask the doctor at the hospital for more info before any drugs were put in.

So we get to the hospital and we meet with a female doctor and she puts her on the monitor. After monitoring her for an hour she tells us that the baby looks good and healthy. So we ask her about the OCT that we were recommended and she said she doesn't that test, because she believes it's best for the cervix to dilate on its own. She also said that inducing too early can lead to an unnecessary cesarean (ding, ding, ding. I already knew that thanks to my reading). So she told us to go home, make an appointment for later that week and just wait it out.

I was so happy to find a common sense doctor. The male doctor was just too quick to want to put drugs into my gf, I didn't like it. And the EFM thing seems so....subjective. Some people would look at it and say it had "variables" and others were like "the baby's just fine".

ARGH, but I'm tired of waiting for this boy to arrive! LOL
__________________



I'm a proud father to a bouncing baby boy!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
May 23rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salina, Kansas
Posts: 6,665
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Oh, I am so glad that she didnt do that! You know, if she were to start some contractions from that silly test her OB would have said "Well, these contractions look good, so lets just go ahead and get an IV of pit and see if we cant get this baby out" I can see it play through in my head..... no good. Your son will come in good time, he is just not quite ready. Just think how safe and warm that place must feel, why the hell would he be in a hurry to leave it? And why the hell are some OB's so quick to try to make them leave there? On the bright side, it certainly cant be much longer now! Im excited for you two!
__________________
<div align="center">


</div>
Reply With Quote
  #17  
May 23rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 180
Quote:
Oh, I am so glad that she didnt do that! You know, if she were to start some contractions from that silly test her OB would have said "Well, these contractions look good, so lets just go ahead and get an IV of pit and see if we cant get this baby out" I can see it play through in my head..... no good. Your son will come in good time, he is just not quite ready. Just think how safe and warm that place must feel, why the hell would he be in a hurry to leave it? And why the hell are some OB's so quick to try to make them leave there? On the bright side, it certainly cant be much longer now! Im excited for you two![/b]
That was EXACTLY my fear. I kept thinking to myself, "WHY IS THIS TEST NECESSARY?!" Unfortunately, as you ladies know, I'm much more pro-natural birth than my gf so she kind of didn't see the harm in it. If I were birthing this kid, I'd definitely have a different stance.

I don't want to think about inducing before 41 weeks, but I really hope this boy comes before then. I'm anxious to meet him.
__________________



I'm a proud father to a bouncing baby boy!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
May 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Ms.Michelle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
*sigh*

Still waiting.

The cervix is soft, does that mean it's ripe?

Yesterday was her due date and we went to see the OB, it was a man and I really didn't like him too much. He confirmed my dislike for him by attaching her to the EFM for 45 minutes to an hour. The female nurse who looked at our chart said the baby looked perfectly fine and said that we could go home. When he came in and looked at it, he said he saw some "variables" (i.e. the heartrate accelerating and decelerating) and he wanted us to go to the hospital for an OCT.

An OCT is an oxtyocin controlled test, where they give you a little pitocin to see how the baby would respond to "real labor contractions". I was unsure about the whole thing and didn't like the sound of it, but my gf and I decided that we'd ask the doctor at the hospital for more info before any drugs were put in.

So we get to the hospital and we meet with a female doctor and she puts her on the monitor. After monitoring her for an hour she tells us that the baby looks good and healthy. So we ask her about the OCT that we were recommended and she said she doesn't that test, because she believes it's best for the cervix to dilate on its own. She also said that inducing too early can lead to an unnecessary cesarean (ding, ding, ding. I already knew that thanks to my reading). So she told us to go home, make an appointment for later that week and just wait it out.

I was so happy to find a common sense doctor. The male doctor was just too quick to want to put drugs into my gf, I didn't like it. And the EFM thing seems so....subjective. Some people would look at it and say it had "variables" and others were like "the baby's just fine".

ARGH, but I'm tired of waiting for this boy to arrive! LOL[/b]

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I am so glad that she didnt do that! You know, if she were to start some contractions from that silly test her OB would have said "Well, these contractions look good, so lets just go ahead and get an IV of pit and see if we cant get this baby out" I can see it play through in my head..... no good. Your son will come in good time, he is just not quite ready. Just think how safe and warm that place must feel, why the hell would he be in a hurry to leave it? And why the hell are some OB's so quick to try to make them leave there? On the bright side, it certainly cant be much longer now! Im excited for you two![/b]
That was EXACTLY my fear. I kept thinking to myself, "WHY IS THIS TEST NECESSARY?!" Unfortunately, as you ladies know, I'm much more pro-natural birth than my gf so she kind of didn't see the harm in it. If I were birthing this kid, I'd definitely have a different stance.

I don't want to think about inducing before 41 weeks, but I really hope this boy comes before then. I'm anxious to meet him.
[/b]

I'm so happy for you to get that female doctor with some real senses! I've been wondering about you two. I'm so happy with your decision to wait. I've been hoping for your baby to come on (naturally though of course!)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
May 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
LittleWhiteside's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 4,188
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleWhiteside
I hope things progress! I feel your pain! My sisters due date was yesterday and she went in to labor this morning. I still have another two weeks till my 'due date' and it feels like forever!
__________________

Gestational Surrogate for one fabulous little family!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
May 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
*Aspen*
Guest
Posts: n/a
I do not agree with those kind of tests. Thank goodness you did not get one!!!!

Pitocin contractions are not "real contractions"...pitocin contractions stress the baby out because of how strong and erratic they usually are. Then the Dr. sees the REAL variables due to the contractions and is like "oh your baby doesn't tolerate labor very well, we may need a csection. Or how about an epidural to lower the BP and relax you?".....ugh....just one thing after the other....

The baby tolerates labor just fine Mr. I'm So Smart Dr it's induction and FORCED labor that baby doesn't tolerate!

Sorry....*sigh*....just found out we aren't getting our loan, so I'm a little miffed.

Good luck, I hope your baby comes soon! **HUGS**
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0