Your pain tolerance

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Okay, a lot of times when I talk to someone about having a natural birth they say how their pain tolerance is low and they know they coudnt do it. This gets me thinking... do I have a high pain tolerance? No, I dont think I really do. When I am sick, I am a big baby. When I have a headache, I am a HUGE baby. There are certain things that would hurt some people that dont hurt me (IE, tattoos and piercings dont bug me much) but I dont think that alone makes me able to say that I have a high pain tolerance. So, what about you? Do you think that you have to have a high pain tolerance just to be able to deliver naturally? Or do you think its more about stamina and endurance? Do YOU have a high or low pain tolerance when it comes to other things?

</div>
May 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
*Aspen*
Hm....I really don't think pain tolerance comes into play with natural childbirth because it's natural. It's not like stubbing your toe, or getting a shot (I hate shots lol) or cutting your finger. It's something your body is made to do, so we naturally have our own pain tolerance mechanisms within ourselves during labor, but we do not when we get hurt.

Hope that makes SOME sense LOL!
May 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Mine weren't really painful, intense towards the very end, but I wouldn't call it pain. It may just be how my body perceives/registers it, or my contractions just aren't that strong. My midwife thought I was an anomaly. When she compared my FM strip to another, it showed mine weren't very strong, when in transition they should have nice strong peaks. Mine were medium sized hills, they lasted maybe 30-45 seconds. The ones I was having during transition are what others experience during early labor. So, no, I wouldn't say I have a high tolerance because I really don't know. I handle most discomfort pretty well, but have never been in a great deal of pain. I don't have much to compare it to.

I've been told having an IUD is "unlike anything you've felt before," this being said by a male midwife. I've heard stories that it was very painful. For me? It was quick and painless. No cramping or anything. He was surprised because my cervix was hard to reach and very, very tight.

I had my Norplant BC taken out a few years back. A "30 minute" procedure took over 3 hours to get 6 rods out. They were real deep into the tissue. I felt much of everything for about 2 hours and 15 minutes. She had to dig and cut deep, I watched some of it. It wasn't painful, but my arm laying in one position for 3 hours, yeah, talk about numb. There was some discomfort.

I injured my tailbone after the birth of my youngest. For the first several weeks it was very sore to sit for long periods of time or to get up from sitting. It was nowhere near unbearable, though.

It may just be how I perceive it.

May 21st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have about a 0 pain tolerance (I always joke I need novacaine to get my teeth CLEANED.) And yet I had no drugs at all with my last baby. Go figure.

May 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
see_nelle_run's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do NOT have a high pain tolerance at all. Natural childbirth hurts, but it's pain with a purpose. I think that's what helped get me through all of it.
That and my DH.

Travis' birth story My Fertility Friend chart
May 22nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Mine weren't really painful, intense towards the very end, but I wouldn't call it pain. It may just be how my body perceives/registers it, or my contractions just aren't that strong. My midwife thought I was an anomaly. When she compared my FM strip to another, it showed mine weren't very strong, when in transition they should have nice strong peaks. Mine were medium sized hills, they lasted maybe 30-45 seconds. The ones I was having during transition are what others experience during early labor. So, no, I wouldn't say I have a high tolerance because I really don't know. I handle most discomfort pretty well, but have never been in a great deal of pain. I don't have much to compare it to.[/b]
I have to tell you something.. The more I read of positive birth stories, that type of description is what I read. I debate this concept of pain and find it so frustrating what people say about pain and labour. To read your story was so uplifting and I told Dh about your post. Thank you for posting this. It helps people like me that have moments of doubt after reading and hearing such cynical people say horrible things about the pain and labour.. despite knowing the information I know about the fear responses and reactions to drugs people have but feel they don't qualify under those classifications. Whatever, I really feel like I know better and your post here helps my convictions in believing labour isn't as painful as people make it out to be. My goal is stay as calm as I can so I don't hurt my baby in labour. Posts like this help me so much.
May 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is a VERY relevant and good topic to have brought up!

I have, what I think, is a very LOW pain tolerance. However, I have had 3 "pain free" births. I think it's the whole "pain with a purpose" thing for me...Since I know that the contractions are actually just my body WORKING very hard to get that baby out I don't view it as pain. I am not saying that it's easy, by any means. It's SUPER DUPER INTENSE but not painful, in my perspective. So, I don't think it has to do with pain tolerance or stamina and endurance but more with PERCEPTION. I think through educating oneself in the whole birthing process, and by finding ways to cope with labor, and also by viewing it as a NATURAL process that one can bipass much of the PAIN...or the perception of pain that is associated with labor and birth.
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
May 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Quote:
This is a VERY relevant and good topic to have brought up!

I have, what I think, is a very LOW pain tolerance. However, I have had 3 "pain free" births. I think it's the whole "pain with a purpose" thing for me...Since I know that the contractions are actually just my body WORKING very hard to get that baby out I don't view it as pain. I am not saying that it's easy, by any means. It's SUPER DUPER INTENSE but not painful, in my perspective. So, I don't think it has to do with pain tolerance or stamina and endurance but more with PERCEPTION. I think through educating oneself in the whole birthing process, and by finding ways to cope with labor, and also by viewing it as a NATURAL process that one can bipass much of the PAIN...or the perception of pain that is associated with labor and birth.[/b]

Yep. I agree. I hate going to the dentist, but I don't mind childbirth.

May 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Ms.Michelle
Ladies ~ thank you, thank you!
May 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Veteran
I just have to say! I am smiling here... funny all of us babies hate shots and the dentist but can handle childbirth! Just amusing
I had mine in a hospital and I was more worried about the stupid hep lock as opposed to the childbirth!

May 23rd, 2007, 01:18 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a high but I dont think it has anything to do with it. I think its a matter of staying focused

May 23rd, 2007, 04:25 AM
Veteran
What an interesting thought! I don't consider myself to have a particularly high pain tolerance but had a natural home birth (epidural wasn't even an option!). Mental preparation and not fighting what my body was doing were key for me. If I was resisting the contractions, I think my perception of being out of control and my perception of pain would have been much higher.

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

May 23rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
LittleWhiteside's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleWhiteside
I don't know if I have a real high pain tolerance but I am very stubburn and determined. I think that will play a big role in natural chilbirth. We will see...

Gestational Surrogate for one fabulous little family!
May 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
*Aspen*
I just think that labor is so intense, that we don't know other words to use except pain. I don't think there is a separate word specifically for describing childbirth. I wasn't in pain, but that is the only word that I can think of to describe it. Others use intense....but then that brings for the question "intense what? what do you mean by intense?" and then you stop and think and say....."well...pain? i think...but it's not really pain"...LOL! It's just one big circle.

Childbirth is unlike any other feeling in the world. It doesn't belong in the category of painful, tickle, hot, cold...it's its OWN category that has yet to be defined by one single word, because it encompases soooo much!!
May 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I just think that labor is so intense, that we don't know other words to use except pain. I don't think there is a separate word specifically for describing childbirth. I wasn't in pain, but that is the only word that I can think of to describe it. Others use intense....but then that brings for the question "intense what? what do you mean by intense?" and then you stop and think and say....."well...pain? i think...but it's not really pain"...LOL! It's just one big circle.

Childbirth is unlike any other feeling in the world. It doesn't belong in the category of painful, tickle, hot, cold...it's its OWN category that has yet to be defined by one single word, because it encompases soooo much!![/b]
You brought up a very good point. I use the word INTENSE to describe it...but yeah, I never really thought that through...INTENSE WHAT? Hmmm...good question. It's definitely in a category all it's own...not pain...

Maybe we could all come up with a word to describe labor...we could coin a new phrase, so to speak! Ha ha. Anyone have a thought on this??? I'm sure with all of us creative souls on here we could come up with SOMETHING...even if we have to make up a word. jk
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
May 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM
*Aspen*
LOL!!!! I'm totally copywriting (sp) it...LOL!
May 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I find this thread very encouraging! I am planning on a med free childbirth and I know I can do it but I do find myself worrying about the "pain". However, I did have a LEEP procedure done almost two years ago and the Novocaine didn't work and I could feel EVERYTHING. I just use that to help me stay focused. I can and WILL do this.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
*Aspen*
Quote:
I find this thread very encouraging! I am planning on a med free childbirth and I know I can do it but I do find myself worrying about the "pain". However, I did have a LEEP procedure done almost two years ago and the Novocaine didn't work and I could feel EVERYTHING. I just use that to help me stay focused. I can and WILL do this.[/b]
It's very hard to compare a natural process to a medical procedure. Our bodies cope with them completely different. One we are meant to do, the other we aren't meant to do kwim?

I went through bouts at the end where I was afraid labor would hurt. I went into labor and it wasn't bad at all...I figured I was like 3 cm... my MW shows up at our home and says I'm a 4...6 on contractions. I was like "what? this is EASY!!!!" It just gave me so much encouragement! I was 8-9 when we got to the hospital and I felt great! I was talking away and you couldn't even tell I was in labor.
May 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Noelle
This is so encouraging ladies! Thank you!!

May 25th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Quote:
It's very hard to compare a natural process to a medical procedure. Our bodies cope with them completely different. One we are meant to do, the other we aren't meant to do kwim?

I went through bouts at the end where I was afraid labor would hurt. I went into labor and it wasn't bad at all...I figured I was like 3 cm... my MW shows up at our home and says I'm a 4...6 on contractions. I was like "what? this is EASY!!!!" It just gave me so much encouragement! I was 8-9 when we got to the hospital and I felt great! I was talking away and you couldn't even tell I was in labor.[/b]
I know exactly what you mean. DH and I were actually talking about this last night. Even though I've not yet experienced it I know that childbirth is not like having an accident or having surgery. It is a natural process that my body is meant to go through. It knows what it is doing and I just need to go with it. I am very encouraged by the way I've been feeling about this and I know it's all going to work out fine.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search