what my doc said on last visit....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
chele11's Avatar RIC
Send a message via Yahoo to chele11
I went Fri for an u/s and reg doc visit (sorry, I like to abbreviate!)

U/S didn't show anything abnormal (thankfully) and baby measuring on target.

My history is the following:
DD weighed 9 lbs, 12.1 oz. (right on time) DS weighed 8 lbs, 5 oz. (induced 1 wk early to avoid "large" baby per doc suggestion)

Tried natural w/dd but with option for epid if wanted. Took it but they stopped it for some reason (how, I dunno-and WITHOUT telling me!) it hurt, and I was mad, but...
W/DS, I did not want anything to do with natural. Opted for Epid when ready-Was doing fine with the pain but only progressed to 4cm when doc suggested (after being induced at 8am and it was after 5ish) to go with epid to "relax me" and make my contractions stronger. Not sure how, but ok....
Epid was too good bc I didn't feel ANYTHING when DS came. They actually had to push on my belly.
Now, I'd prefer to go as natural as possible, without any pain meds except for maybe demerol or soemthing to cut the pain a bit, not numb me completely. (what I had in the beginning of the harder contractions with DD).....

Doc said this:
Because of my history of big babies and long labor (to me, labor is the amount of time you spend pushing, not the length of time from start of contractions to birth, but that is my opinion).....anyway that she suggested that we measure the baby at 38 wks and get an idea of his/her size and not go natural if the baby is too big. But, I have to add this....I only had 3 stitches with one child and 5 with the other. (I SWEAR by perineal? massage!!!!) I think my body is equipped to handle a big baby. The pain was bad, but it was NOT unbearable. I also was not prepared for my DD to be as big as she was bc I weighed less than 6 lbs as did her father. I was told we could expect a baby about our weights. Ugh, not!!! LOL
So, I want to know what to do..... I want to go as natural as possible. I hated the 2nd epid experience. I do not want to NOT feel anything. I dont' want to be tied down to a bed. The only thing I could think of to avoid getting pain meds was to wait as long as possible before heading to the hospital. But what if I wait too long? LOL I don't wanna have him/her on the way!
::SIGH:: decisions, decisions, decisions!!!! WDYT??????
May 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Veteran
Quote:

DD weighed 9 lbs, 12.1 oz. (right on time) DS weighed 8 lbs, 5 oz. (induced 1 wk early to avoid "large" baby per doc suggestion)

Tried natural w/dd but with option for epid if wanted. Took it but they stopped it for some reason (how, I dunno-and WITHOUT telling me!) it hurt, and I was mad, but...
W/DS, I did not want anything to do with natural. Opted for Epid when ready-Was doing fine with the pain but only progressed to 4cm when doc suggested (after being induced at 8am and it was after 5ish) to go with epid to "relax me" and make my contractions stronger. Not sure how, but ok....
Epid was too good bc I didn't feel ANYTHING when DS came. They actually had to push on my belly.
Now, I'd prefer to go as natural as possible, without any pain meds except for maybe demerol or soemthing to cut the pain a bit, not numb me completely. (what I had in the beginning of the harder contractions with DD).....

Doc said this:
Because of my history of big babies and long labor (to me, labor is the amount of time you spend pushing, not the length of time from start of contractions to birth, but that is my opinion).....anyway that she suggested that we measure the baby at 38 wks and get an idea of his/her size and not go natural if the baby is too big. But, I have to add this....I only had 3 stitches with one child and 5 with the other. (I SWEAR by perineal? massage!!!!) I think my body is equipped to handle a big baby. The pain was bad, but it was NOT unbearable. I also was not prepared for my DD to be as big as she was bc I weighed less than 6 lbs as did her father. I was told we could expect a baby about our weights. Ugh, not!!! LOL
So, I want to know what to do..... I want to go as natural as possible. I hated the 2nd epid experience. I do not want to NOT feel anything. I dont' want to be tied down to a bed. The only thing I could think of to avoid getting pain meds was to wait as long as possible before heading to the hospital. But what if I wait too long? LOL I don't wanna have him/her on the way!
::SIGH:: decisions, decisions, decisions!!!! WDYT??????[/b]

May 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
*Aspen*
Quote:

Doc said this:
::SIGH:: decisions, decisions, decisions!!!! WDYT??????[/b]
My personal opinion:
Women very rarely make babies larger than they are able to birth. Very very rare. Those weight prediction machines are pooey. I wouldn't advise being induced for possible fear of a big baby unless it's that one medical condition (which I cannot think of right now). Maybe you were expecting pain free with your dd and when it didn't happen you weren't prepared because you switched your mind and thought process to "pain free" when you decided to get the epidural. Therefore, you were unprepared when the meds didn't happen so you were caught off guard which made it a very painful experience for you. (Purely my opinion on that).

A lot of reseach, and preparation and you can go natural. We all can!
May 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Based on what you've said I wouldn't agree to an induction just because of the estimated size of your baby. You've had two successful vaginal births and there is no reason to believe this baby would be too big for you to birth when natural labor kicks in. It's always been my understanding that the position of the baby is more important than the size in ease of pushing/delivery.

May 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
*Aspen*
Alison this is totally o/t but the names of your kiddos! You've got me freaking out!!!

Our boy (if we ever have one) will be named Christian Michael (Chris)....I REALLY REALLY want the name Evelyn for our next girl (if we ever have one). When I was pregnant with Kailey and I thought we were having a boy we were going with the name Lucas! WEIRD!!!! lol
May 23rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Alison this is totally o/t but the names of your kiddos! You've got me freaking out!!!

Our boy (if we ever have one) will be named Christian Michael (Chris)....I REALLY REALLY want the name Evelyn for our next girl (if we ever have one). When I was pregnant with Kailey and I thought we were having a boy we were going with the name Lucas! WEIRD!!!! lol[/b]
If this baby is a girl her name will be Charlotte Yvonne, we haven't decided on a boys name yet, though Eli is the front runner at the moment!

May 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whew, where to start.

I am dead tired, so Im gonna try to be quick but thorough

1) U/s's have an error margin of 3 lbs. Skip the u/s to check for weight - you know about what size babies you make, and what your body can handle already Statistically, the mothers guess is more accurate than an u/S

2) Size of baby doesnt have anything to do with Natural EXCEPT _ larger babies are at higher risks when the mother has drugs. Why you ask... well if you are drugged, you arent as able to maneuver. Even with demoral - youll be half asleep between contractions & moms who have had demoral also report that it makes the pain worse... they just dont care about it as much. The thing is - when you take the pain down a notch - or away - then it will hurt worse. Which is why you were probably climbing the walls when they turned the epidural off (not to mentiont hat they probably cranked the pit when they had the epidural in you!). But - bigger babies require more moving aroudn by mom. Youll need to walk, change positions frequently, and have the ability to move during the pushing stage. Many studies are showing that while baby might be more likely to get their shoulders stuck when theyre larger, statistically the ones that get their shoulders stuck the most arent the bigger babies. Theyre the babies that are born while mom is trying to push laying flat on her back. So - get up - on all fours, squat, do whatever you need to do. Chances are - if its really painful - youre not inthe right position. I can tell you from my experience giving brith and as a doula and from research - the MOST painful & LEAST effective way to give birth is on your back. Get up. Move around. Your body will move you into position, but not if youre paralyzed from an epi or drugged from demoral and can hardly keep your eyelids open & your judgement is blurred Youll also need your wits about you to experience the joy that comes along with it all (and possibly, but hopefully not, to stnad up for your wishes).

3) Tearing - also a direct relation to position of birthing more so than the size of the baby. The size of the baby is only one SMALL factor in a BIG equation that includes: MOTHERs positioning, babies positioning, and finally, size of baby. really - you can have a 5 lber leave a huge tear if mom isnt careful. Just as easily as a mom of an 11 lber can give birth without so much as a skid mark And yes, perineal massage is your friend. But really - even without that, if youre listening to your body, and in a good position and moving to get baby in a good position, not rushing things (breaking water, inducing, etc), then youre very UNLIKELY to tear.

4) your OB - your chances of having the birth that youre describing with your OB sound like its not very likely. Its never too late to swtich. I have 2 & switched late in the game with both - youll be glad you did esp if youre moving to a provider who is more supportive of your wishes. And - not just supportive in theory & verbally - but in practice!

(((Hugs))) I totally believe you can do this. IMO, youre biggest concern isnt the size of your baby or even when your baby comes - you really need to find a provider who will work for you. Have you looked into getting a doula? Sure Im a bit biased But at the very least they can point you towards a few good mother-friendly providers

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search