We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I was GBS Positive in my last pregnancy (if I am remembering correctly) and I get tested at my next appointment (2 weeks from now). I have tried researching this and really the only info I get is that 1 out of 500 babies born to GBS + mothers will get GBS and only 1 out of 1,000 of those will become sick from it. I am allergic to most antibiotics so the only thing we could use is Clindamycin, but it is a VERY expensive drug ($300 for a tiny bottle, I had to get it for my son before) and my midwife doesn't thik the hospital would allow me to get the drugs then go back to birth at home. With the info I have found Jenni is at VERY low risk of anything happeneing to her (if I am GBS + that is), do you even think the drugs are required? I would say no, but I would like any info that you all have, as I have to convince DH as well, lol.
I think thats a pretty personal decision... I would hate to say yes or no to that. If it were me, I would probably go ahead with plans I had already made. Perhaps if I *knew* I didnt want to use the antib's already I wouldnt even go through with the testing for it. Isnt there some sort of course of antibiotics that you can take prior to birth by mouth?
Yes, only the Clindamycin though, I am allergic to many antibiotics. I am not sure that my midwife would prescribe it for me though, because the OB she works under is VERY against homebirths. I told DH about what I found out and he seemed happy with the numbers....of course his response was "Well, it's you." which means, "Our baby would be in that 1 in 1000 of the 500".....he says this because ANYTHING medical usually does not apply to me, lol. I know he was just joking. I guess we will have to wait and find out what the results of the test are, but IMHO, I STILL do not want to have my baby in the hospital, so I'd most likely just do w/o meds for it.
I think that's an awesome over all information page.
What should I know about GBS?
Although GBS is the most common cause of bacterial infection in newborn babies, this complication is still relatively uncommon (around one in every 1,000 newborn babies in the UK develops a GBS infection, that's about 700 babies a year).
Babies are usually exposed to GBS shortly before or during birth. This happens to thousands of babies with no ill effects - just why some babies exposed to GBS are susceptible to the bacteria and develop infection is not clear. What is known is most GBS infection in newborn babies can be prevented by giving women in high risk situations antibiotics intravenously (through a vein) from the onset of labour or their waters breaking until the baby is born.
Aggressive intravenous antibiotic therapy successfully treats most babies who develop a GBS infection, but even with the best medical care 10-20% of these babies die (usually from septicaemia, pneumonia or meningitis) and a few suffer long-term problems, most usually those who developed GBS meningitis.
The GBS bacteria can be passed from hands to a baby, so it is very important to make sure your hands are clean before handling a newborn baby.
Very occasionally GBS causes infection of the 'waters', womb or urinary tract in mothers of newborn babies.
If a woman believes she carries GBS, she should tell her GP, midwife and obstetrician and her baby's paediatrician. Proven methods for stopping most GBS infections from developing in newborn babies exist. In most cases, the babies of women who carry GBS can be protected and born healthy and free from infection.[/b]
Well I declined testing since I knew I woudl decline antib's. We opted to treat for risk factors in birth (prolonged rupture of membranes, prolonged pushing, etc) and to avoid anything that increased risk (rupture of membranes, vag exams after rupture, etc).
SHOULD i have treated, it woudl have been with hybicleanse first, then other natural treatments, and of course watching baby regardless I would NOT change my homebirth plans for such a small risk though.
What is hybicleanse? Yea, watch, I am getting all worked up over this and I will turn out -...but IMHO, I'd rather be prepaired and know what to do in any situation, then have to be researching info on something that is going on right at the moment, KWIM? lol thanx