EPO

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Who has used it? Any success with it? Did you take it orally or vaginally or both???

I started orally last week, and did my first vaginally last night. Hoping it will help. Just wondering about everyone's experience.
May 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
*Aspen*
Here is my response on EPO from a different thread.

Quote:
EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) was recommended. This worked great for me. You can find them in any health store or a walgreens....the bottles are around the herbal medicine, they cost about 15 for a bottle. She can either take them orally or vaginally. I started taking them orally, but they left a funny metallic taste in my mouth. My MW told me to start taking them vaginally.

I would go lay down in bed, take out 4 pills (they look like vitamin E capsules) and I would poke some holes in each pill with a needle. I had a roll of napkins next to the bed as my fingers would get icky from the oil leaking out. I'd lay down and insert each pill to surround my cervix. Be sure to have her wear a pad to bed as the oil will leak out. She shouldn't stand or sit up for 1-2 hours. The best time to do this is bedtime, but of course, pregnant women must pee. She won't die if she has to get up and go pee it's ok. BUT, she may freak out when she sees her pee is rather cloudy. This is nothing to worry about, it's just the oil skimming the top of the urine in the toilet. Keep in mind that it's oil.
I would start getting contractions about 10 minutes after insertion.

Using it as a lubricant is another way to use it (as previously recommended). Sex alone is great. Semen has ...oxytocin is it?? in it and it works great to help her along. P.S........the semen works even better if it's ingested....*ahem* ok...so....[/b]
May 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I took it orally for about 1 1/2 weeks before I went into labor and I went from 6-10 cm in just over an hour. I don't know if it was all the EPO, but it certainly didn't hurt!

May 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Veteran
I started EPO orally (may have used it vaginally a few times too, I don't recall now) 1 1/2 wks before ds was born. I dilated from 3-10 cm in 45 minutes. (That was 45 incredibly INTENSE minutes! ) Fast labors also run in my family, but I never ever expected to dilate so quickly for a first birth.

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

May 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM
yvonne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took them both orally and vaginally for about 2 weeks. I dilated VERY fast. I don't know if it was because of the EPO, but I'm sure it helped.

Stocking every Wednesday at 3.</span>
May 26th, 2007, 01:43 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took it orally for both boys. worked a week and half for phelix and noah was 9 days over and Id been taking it a few weeks but when I was in labour I went quick

May 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I took it orally for about 3 weeks before birth, and I used it vaginally for eh... 2 weeks? I had a pretty speedy labor, with quick and easy dilation. I am sure that the EPO helped that a lot.

</div>
May 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM
LittleWhiteside's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleWhiteside
Does anyone recall how many mg they took and how often? I'm taking 1000mg every night orally...

Gestational Surrogate for one fabulous little family!
May 27th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
I took 2 pills orally for a few days at 39 weeks.

I took 2 vaginally at 39 weeks 2 days.

I had 20 minutes of intense burning about 3 hours after I took it, followed by a 1 hr 15 minute labor. Was unplanned unassisted homebirth. Neat experience, but was difficult to deal with the freight train labor.

Im not taking EPO vaginally ever again!!!!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

May 28th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Does anyone recall how many mg they took and how often? I'm taking 1000mg every night orally...[/b]
My midwife recommended 1500 mg/day so that's what I took (orally).

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

May 28th, 2007, 07:45 AM
*Aspen*
holy poo I dont' remember

I took 4...I *think* 500mg or 1500mg......
May 29th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm taking 1000 mg orally at night and 1000 mg orally in the morning. On the days that I remember to do it (better way to put it, on the days that DH and I don't DTD ), I'm putting 2 1000mg capsules in vaginally.
May 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I used EPO (500mg caps) by mouth from 37 weeks on. At 38.5 weeks, I started using 1 by mouth in the morning and switched up using 2 vaginally at night.

I was a 'real stretchy' 4cm from 39 weeks until he came 16 days 'post due date'. My labor was REAL gentle dilation for 21 hours. My easiest and longest birth yet.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
May 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM
*Aspen*
Dilating was super easy for me too. Very easy....in fact when I felt guilty about calling my MW and saying that I thought I was in labor, because I thought it was fake...I was really a 4-6 when she showed up at my home. LOL! I was so relieved I didn't want her to have to drive all the way back home.
May 30th, 2007, 08:20 AM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
I used it with my son and did both orally and vaginally in my last month. I ended up in a c-section but I think the EPO did work because I got to 7cm in 5 hours!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

May 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I took 3 1000mg caps a day, and 1 1000mg cap vaginally at night.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search