Scared

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2007, 03:10 PM
LittleWhiteside's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LittleWhiteside
So I'm not geeling so tough anymore...

I just got back from my 39week appointment and my baby is still posterior and trying to come out face first. Also hes not even in my pelvis. Hes just floating around. She said shes sure I'm gonna go overdue. I told her I want to avoid induction at all costs. She said the most they let you go overdue is two weeks. She also said that shes not even sure hes gonna be able to do it on his own because hes been stuck in this position for so long. And before this he was breech. She hasn't really said much about csection but she has said she thinks in the end I'll need to be induced. I really really really wanted a natural birth. I know with induction it can be so so painful. She also said that if my body goes in to active labor naturally its going to be unbearably painful because of his position. He is working against my pelvis.

This is just everything I didn't want! I'm so set on going naturally.

My midwife totally supports natural and thats why she became a midwife. She worked for OB's before and hated how much they induced and whatnot. She said she wishes she had different news for me but this is what she feels is going to happen. Of course she said to still keep my head up and she hopes shes wrong.

I just feel like I can't do this anymore. I've been broken down and these last weeks of pregnancy are so hard. His position is really making my back hurt all the time and I'm not even in labor!

I just need some thoughts and inspiration ladies.

Gestational Surrogate for one fabulous little family!
May 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Babies can turn at any time! Even during labor they can rotate from being posterior, so dont' worry too much. Also there are a few girls here that have birthed posterior babies naturally, its not impossible.

There are some exercises you can do to encourage them to turn also.

And I wouldn't fret about being induced until you are over 41 weeks, then you can start worrying about that Most first time babies (not induced) will come at around 41.5 weeks.

Good luck!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I told her I want to go as long as possible. She said text book is 42 weeks that they will let me go.

May 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I just delivered a posterior baby who had been stuck like that for a couple months. He came just fine, when he was ready. Not a minute earlier. Please read the positions for labor sticky. They arent just good for labor they are also good for getting a stubborn baby to settle down into the pelvis.

Also with the induction. All I can say is this, and it may come across a little strong. She, or he, or they do not have the right to "let" you do anything, or "not let" you do anything. If you dont want to be induced, then DONT. If they insist, let them make the silly appt and just dont show up. I dont figure they are going to go to anyones house looking for them if they dont show up to their induction. Doctors forget that these bodies belong to US not them. They get cocky and start thinking they can make rules for our bodies. Pashaw... When it comes down to the wire, only "I" can LET me do something, or not LET me do something. Text book, schmext book, *I* am not a text book kind of girl, Im 100% unique, original and unlike the girl who lives within the text book. ***Steps down off the soap box***

You are going to do great, if the baby is late, posterior, or early and anterior. VERY few babies actually CANT get through the pelvis if just left alone. Let mommy labor, let baby move down. It all happens naturally.

</div>
May 30th, 2007, 06:17 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
Hun I am sorry to hear your feeling so down about all this. First off I would read some positive natural birth stories. Don't worry so much about the position of the baby or that he is floating its still early.

Can you do any swimming? Swimming is great to try to get baby to turn, and also might feel good to you. Check out the www.spinningbabies.com site to for more ideas.

I don't think you should worry yet though.

I agree with what the others are saying as well. I hope you don't let this all get you down. Lots of hugs to you!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

May 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Hey yeah, swimming is great and its a nice time of year to do so! Also, do you have a birthing ball? You can use it as you sit at your computer at home instead of the chair. It will open up the pelvis a little so that little one can get down in there!

</div>
May 30th, 2007, 08:41 PM
*Aspen*
BIRTH BALL!! Sit sit sit on it girly!! 42 weeks is average before induction, but some go to 43

Since it's an estimated due date....you could really be due in 3 weeks.............Babies do a lot in three weeks.

Oh, and I delivered a posterior baby and my labor was a breeze. We didn't even know she was posterior until her head started popping out.

Have faith, your body knows what it's doing
May 31st, 2007, 08:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey, girl, I posted on the DDC as well, but my DD was posterior... I did have back labor, but I Still made it through WITHOUT any pain meds. Swimming was great when pg with her. And this time, I'm spending a ton of time on my yoga ball. {{{HUGS}}} I know you are frustrated, but you CAN do this!
May 31st, 2007, 09:47 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can do it! My first baby was posterior and while it was painful, having someone apply counter pressure on my back was very helpful. Babies have a way of turning when they need to, I know my last labor my little girl didn't drop into position until literally a few moments before birth!

May 31st, 2007, 09:51 AM
hehe, I had to have counter pressure on my back the whole time too

</div>
May 31st, 2007, 10:15 AM
*Aspen*
The only thing that really worked well for me when I was in pain was having my tailbone and hip pressed. It was lovely
May 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm just so frustrated. We all know how 'awesome' these last weeks are. I'm tryin to keep my chin up. Everyday I try and do one activity at least that way I'm not just sitting around my house waiting for a baby. Today I got a pedicure and bought some books to read to the baby...

May 31st, 2007, 05:19 PM
*Aspen*
Awww....good for you
June 1st, 2007, 04:49 AM
tim_horton's Avatar Veteran
Most babies that are in posterior turn around in time. To help her, get down on your knees, with your chest pressed against the ground and rock back and forth as much as you can.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but my daughter was posterior and I gave birth naturally at home. I suffered trauma after the event and still shudder when I remember it. It led to other complications, including full-on labour that lasted 46 hours and a cervix that refused to dilate. At some point, my midwife was insisting that I go to the hospital and had already called the doctor to tell him to prepare the OR. My partner insisted that we keep trying at home (I was on a different planet at this point and unable to discuss such things). Then things really started to get bad. Several more hours and I had my baby, but I refused to open my eyes and look at her or hold her for the first 1/2 hour. I am very disappointed that I missed out on that bonding opportunity. I don't mean to scare you any worse than you already are. I just think you should understand the additional complications that can be brought on by a posterior baby. Definitely be in a hospital, where you have access to pain medication if you find you need it. You don't have to be a hero.

Something I should add, however, is that in the end everything turned out fine (other than the psychological trauma). She turned around a split second before she came out, so I had minimal tearing that didn't require stitches. Once it was all over, I had basically no post partum discomfort. Had I been in the hospital, I would have had a c-section and my recovery would have been significantly more difficult. So those were the pros.
June 1st, 2007, 02:31 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope I don't scare you, but I also had a posterior baby, and I ended up with a c-section. In retrospect I'm not even sure she was really posterior, because I didn't have the back labor that everyone described. What I remember was pain in my abdomen. But, I also didn't find out her position until I was past 40 weeks and she had already come down quite a bit. So it's not such a bad thing that your baby is still floating around.. that means that you have a better opportunity to turn him. Try looking into the Webster technique. I had it done at 41 weeks and I felt a difference in my sacral area, a lot of the discomfort I had there went away, but again I think it was just too late for me. Do a google search for it and you should be able to find the website that has a list of chiropractors in your area that are certified in the technique. I understand your frustration. My doctor pushing and pushing me to induce at 41 weeks led to the last few weeks of my pregnancy as a miserable time. I didn't even feel all that bad physically! My labor came on naturally when I was 12 days overdue and progressed so fast. It was just the right time and before that would have been too early. I know if I was induced it would have been a lot harder and I probably would have ended up with a c-section anyway.

Plus I think in your case having a midwife will be a better help for you than an ob would. From what I've read they seem to appreciate different positions in labor than the docs do.

Trust your instincts. If you don't feel that something isn't right for you or your baby, you don't have to do it, although it's so hard to have to stand up to your doctor. I ended up switching ob's in the 41st week because my ob tried to scare me into an induction and then scheduled it anyway against my wishes! He must have figured it out when I didn't show up and had my records transferred.. hehe..

And I hope I can say this the right way and doesn't come out bad.. I was terrified of surgery and so badly wanted to go natural. Unfortunately that wasn't in the cards for me. I can say that while the c-section and recovery sucked, I came out the other end all right and also a stronger person. I had to go through more than most women do to get my baby (and most of my labor was natural, too). So whatever happens, you will be all right.

But I will send you good vibes that you get your natural birth. *dangit.. where did that little fairy go?!* **good vibes**

June 2nd, 2007, 04:43 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Girl - don't let her words bully or frighten you! Remember - your body rocks!

I have had a posterior baby and it is not as crazy difficult as ppl say. She was my longer labor (not counting this last one) and she was my only labor that was so intensely in my butt - but completely doable and wouldn't change a thing about it. I would REALLY recommend refusing the induction if it comes to that - if they are so worried about his position, they would/should not be pushing that route - an induction means that baby will be forced down into the pelvis in whatever position he is currently in. Whereas, if a woman is allowed to go into labor on her own time, baby will often reposition himself right before the onset of birth into the best position to get out.

You know, you have a legal right to refuse any medical treatment. 2 weeks post estimated due date is not a magic number - nor is it set in stone. You can refuse it or simply not show up for your induction. It is YOUR healthcare and YOUR baby. Proactiveness may be called for at a time like this

You can still have the birth you want - it is just going to take more effort than previously planned and hoped for. It should not be this difficult to have a normal natural birth - but when we are working in the realm of medical society, we have to accept it (change our plans), ADAPT to it (go against their policies), or CHANGE it (fire the mw and get a new one/have a homebirth/etc..).

Chin up. Babies like to move, babies come when they are ready, a momma is a good momma for being concerned about the newest events!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Just want you all to know that I really appreciate all your words. There is so much pressure from everyone to get him out. I just want to close my eyes and wake up when hes ready to come out. I'm sticking to my guns and just taking this one day at a time.

June 3rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi hon, I was just about to sign off when I saw this & i feel compelled to respond. Ive had 2 babies both of which were persistently posterior.

First birth - my son 8+ yrs ago. I had no idea he was posterior throughout my pregnancy. I realized it in labor when the back labor kicked in. They wouldnt "let" me eat, wouldnt "let" me have water, wouldnt "let" me get out of bed. I was a single mom, 19, I suffered through contractiosn in the bed, hoping for a natural labor, but not really "prepared". Id educated myself more than most 19 yr old moms, but i showed up & they had no birthing ball, no squat bars, no nothing. They had scheduled an induction, but i was in labor when I showed up. They broke my water. I sat there for several hours, gripping the rails through contractions, unable to move per "their orders". They came in at noon, threatened a cesarean, told me an epidural would save me from a cesarean. I agreed reluctantly to the epidural. My son came out hand first, and posterior. I pushed on my back, and got an episiotomy without even so much as being asked. The up side: I was a surprisingly effective pusher, I pushed less than 10 minutes.

They stitched me up, it took several hours for the epidural to wear off & I could get up. I had trouble recovering from the episiotomy, and it took quite a while.

Fast forward: 2006. I get pregnant (planned with my DH) after 9 months of TTC.
As pg progresses, I realize baby is posterior - no surprise. My last one was, hey ill deal with it. I see a chiro, do exercises, see an accupuncturist, etc all to try to encourage a better position for the baby. My Chiro, who has an excellent track record with breech & posterior babies, is having trouble getting her to turn!

I spend the last weeks of my pg trying like mad to turn this baby. I finally go into labor 8 days past my due date. I should add... I started with OB care. My OB left town, I searched for another OB who would be agreeable to my birth plan. No such luck. Most insist on inductions at 40 weeks. I know I hve the right to refuse & they cant "make " me, but I dotn want to be fighting for something at what is supposed to be such a special event. I end up deciding to go with a homebirth midwife

Well, 8 days past my due date, Ive already given UP on this whole baby coming thing lol. I finally go into labor - contractions 40 mins apart, 2 mins apart, 20 mins apart, etc. Id had lots of contractions and my MW explained these were probably my body's way of making the baby move into position. I read up & discover its VERY common for moms of posterior babies to have lots of "start & stop" labors. Its indeed the body's way of trying to position the baby properly.

Well, labor starts - its official, im 6 cm, baby is still oddly positioned & persistently posterior. 7 cm i move to the birth tub.

between 9 & 10 cm I assume (transition feelings), I can feel major changes. I didnt know WHAT. I just remember getting this overwhelming URGE to be in hands & knees position, leaning over the edge of the tub... I announced that "SOMETHING CHANGED" - my mind was foggy, my body was doing SOMETHING.

I started feeling the urge to bear down - not push - just bear down with contractions at some point. My MWs assistants hand was on my tailbone, where I was feeling the pressure from my posterior baby. I remember clearly her announcing "WOW!" - my tailbone moved as the baby descended into my pelvis finally. The relief !
Finally - as I pushed, the baby turned. Unfortunately, she didnt turn completely, her head was born anterior, but her shoulders were still rotating on the way out so I did tear slightly. But I only pushed a handful of times, maybe 5 mins? I know that it was less than 10 for sure.

I groaned the baby out, and everythign was perfectly fine. The moment she descended, the back pain was gone, and she rotated all on her own. Had she not, my MW says she was prepared to manually turn her as soon as she was within reach. A skilled MW can usually maneuver the baby back out of the pelvis, rotate it to an anterior position, and then the baby will descend just fine. But of course positioning is KEY. I dont know that I could have done it on my back. I laid on my back for one contraction as she checked me before entering the tub, and that was the worst contraction Id EVER been through.

((((hugs)))) - this isnt a death sentence. Youre not doomed to an induction. Youre not doomed to a cesarean. It really lies now in the hands of that baby & your body. Do what you can to turn the baby - see an experienced chiro NOW.

In labor, hopefully your MW will pull through. Stay home as long as possible... give that baby all the time he needs to come down & into position. Its OKAY that baby is still floating high, thats GOOD b/c you dnt want a malpositioned baby stuck in your pelvis! Induction when the baby is in a bad position is only going to hurt matters. For now, dont worry about the 42 week time limit - cross that bridge when you get there

((((hugs)))))

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 3rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
kelsiandlilliansmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about natural birth but I can offer some inspiration. While I was in labor with Jodi Noel she was posterior and they had me get on my hands and knees at 5 cm dialated and she flipped over. It only took about 15 minutes of me being on my hands nad knees rocking forward and back. It was rather simple (for me). I hope your baby flips over for you as easy as mine did for me.

</div>
June 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is your birth and your baby and you have the right to say NO to induction, whether they don't let you go past 2 weeks or not. It is not their decision. In the meantime I hope baby comes before you have to make that choice!
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search