Am I being too stubborn?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM
Ms.Michelle
When I read what Tim Horton said about the birth in the "scared" thread, the last paragraph gave me hope.. It can still be done.

I talked to DH this morning about spending $250 for a birthing tub rental and having a emergency plan back up in case I really do just birth in it. (My feeling is I should use the tub in 90 min intervals.. between the bed, stairs, potty breaks and the tub using hypnobirthing the whole time. That way, if it's a long first stage, I can stay home as long as possible, staying hydrated and fed without medical intervention. I know 60 hour labours with hypnobirthing are still positive because if you do that right, a woman isn't exhausted.)

I feel like maybe I'm too pushy about the whole expereince. Dh is not comfortable with me possibly donig this at home but does want to stay home as long as possible. I feel, since for me, our ambulance rides are free, when the real moment comes, have him call the ambulance, just in case. In the time it takes them to get to me ( about 6-10 mins) the baby will be out. My worry would be if the last stage (the blood detachment) doesn't go smoothly ~ if the ambulance can rush me to the hospital, 3 mintues, then either way, it is what it is.. This is the worst case senerio and I really feel like that will not happen. I'm totally in the 95% percentile of things going right. We're prepared. We have back up plans.. For god's sake, a gal just gave birth in a Walmart bathroom in less than 14 mins.. why can't I do it with all these resources? Or I'm I just being naive?
June 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Its really not that dangerous to actually have your baby at home, but I know you already know that. I think that your plan is great and you know what you are getting into. You shouldnt worry so much If by chance, you have your baby at home ( ) and dont know how to or dont want to deal with the rest, just wrap the baby tightly in a blanket, put on a night gown and GO. Dont cut the cord, just leave it intact. Make sure that your baby is to breast immediately, and warm immediately and get your butt to the hospital. Call 911 if you need to. Your labor could very well be 60 hours, but chances are that a lot of those 60 hours are not going to be noticeable labor. I know you are prepared for this, you are prepared to relax. First stage labor should be a breeze, for the most part at least. You are going to do great. Your heart will carry you where you need to be. Trust your instincts, thats why they are there. Its a sad day when we quit trusting what are bodies are telling us. Relax, go with is, and dont whatever your mind and body are telling you to do.

</div>
June 1st, 2007, 09:08 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Trust your instincts, thats why they are there. Its a sad day when we quit trusting what are bodies are telling us. Relax, go with is, and dont whatever your mind and body are telling you to do. [/b]
That's how I feel. I *know* I'll *know* when to go the hospital, just before the final time comes. So we won't have to birth at home but can do 90% of it there. Thanks for the reassurance.
June 1st, 2007, 09:16 AM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
I agree to go with your gut. I too plan to wait tell the last minute but I am really not scared at least at this point. I asked my dh what he would do if the baby came on accident at home and he said he would deliever but he doesn't prefer it to happen that way.

I am at least glad my dh can deal with it if it does happen. Just my back up plan.

Wishing you the best!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

June 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Gee, I just realized how many typos I made in that post I was in too much of a hurry I guess

</div>
June 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM
*Aspen*
Good luck Michelle You should know when it's time to go.
June 2nd, 2007, 07:35 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(((hugs)))

I think youre being totally normal pregnant mamma lol.

BUT - my .02? Unless theres an emergency - baby is born not breathing, whatever, dont call an ambulance. There are some great paramedics, but often in situations of birth - youre taking a huge risk. the MW I know locally has had the worst experiences when shes had couples that have called 911 & had an ambulance come out thinking she wouldnt make it there in time.

Yanking on the cord to deliver the placenta, rolling mamma down the stairs on a stretcher with a crowning baby, not being prepared for it, etc.

Now, not all paramedics are like that of course, but theyre not likely to be sensitive to your feelings, aware of what to look for, and gentle birth concepts go out the window. They handle true emergencies - not normal birth. So theyre not likely to treat it like a normal birth. And theyre not likely going to let you give gentle pushes if baby is crowning before they all try to heave-ho you on the stretcher.

Yes - huge generalizations - but your probably better off either staying home, or heading to the hospital around transition. JMHO.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
If you do have your baby at home, unless you or she NEED it, don't call paramedics.

Typically, they will run around panicky because you had a baby at home, how dangerous! You will be given an IV, you will be strapped to a stretcher, you will be treated as though you are ill. IF they figure out you planned this you will be treated terribly, like you are a stupid person that put your lives at danger.

June 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Ms.Michelle
I appreicate the reality check about calling 911. Thanks girls!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search