Doulas

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2007, 09:33 AM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Who all has hired a doula? How helpful was she? How much did you pay? Would you hire one again?

</div>
June 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Ms.Michelle
I have one.. So far she has been wonderful. I suspect she'll be the best decision I made about all of this. Her fee was $700.
June 11th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Tofu Bacon
I'm so excited: the midwife practice I am transfering to has volunteer doulas!
June 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
I am setting up apps to meet a few here , the one I know about so far as far as fee is $250 , and she seems very willing to work out payments that we can afford so thats good lol , we don't really have the money to hire a doula but I am making it a priority !

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

June 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Mom has always served as my Doula, but this time due to location she may not be there. I am not sure if we will hire one, though I have the names of several that come recommended. Their fees are in the 500-1000 range. I am thinking that having my DH, my midwife and her assistants and the fact this is my 4th birth I will be okay without one, but I'm just not sure!
June 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my hospital assigns you a student midwife to be your doula. mine is so fantastic. she gets paid by the state health service but i will give her a "tip" after the birth.
i definitely think they're worth it.

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
June 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I hired a doula for my second child, I paid her $500.

I am also a doula, my fee currently is $500.

I think the services a doula offers are a must for all women. She is 100% unconditional support, she helps you to know what you want before labour starts and then in labour she will remind you of what you wanted and why and she will be there to support you in that 100%.

June 14th, 2007, 07:11 AM
*Aspen*
My dh was like my doula on the last birth, but he wasn't very good. LOL! I think he thought I was out of this world in pain so he was freaked out, but I wasn't. I tell him all the time I loved Kaileys birth and I was only in pain for a very very short while (and the pain wouldn't have even happened if *I* didn't start making my cervix close). He doesn't believe me LOL! He's like "I never want to go through labor again"...MEN! W/e...

anyway, oh back on topic..ok so...

I think my MW was a good "doula" of sorts. She is a very personal MW. She came to my house for all my appts. As soon as I called her and told her my water broke she came over (5am) and I talked with her while my fam showed up and dh went to the store. She sat at our kitchen table talking and eating eggs..... She would press on my back during my contractions (she was great at it, I had back labor, which I didn't know until Kailey was born but it wasn't bad at all...I wouldn't have even guessed it was back labor). I guess what matters most to me is being in a laid back personal environment, not a stuffy "I'm a Dr smarter than you medical medical medical blah blah bright white lights" environment. I wish I could have a homebirth (still wondering if it's possible for number two). I'd love one....
June 14th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have hired one and I like her so far. Her fee is $450.

June 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
I just met with on today and liked her ( the one for $250 ) , I still need to make sure we can fit things into our budget which we should be able to some how , esp since she willing to work with us on payments ect , so I should be calling her back soon to hire her !

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
I realize this topic was a few weeks ago but I'm stumped.

I'm looking at my acupuncturist who's also a doula. I live in New York City so I realize things are more expensive here but I'm boggled by her fee of 2500$. We're gonna discuss w/ her because I really really love her and would love her even more as our doula, but it's above our budget and it sounds ridiculous next to 500$ or 250$ that I'm hearing here. I've heard that the range is usually 500-1800$.

Anyway, if I take my doula, it'll include a home visit, birth ball, 2 acupunture session prepping me for labor, then she'll come to my home during latent labor and I get more acupuncture until we head to the hospital, then continuous doula support thereafter w/ acupressure/massage/etc, and finally a post-partum visit after all is done to see how I'm doing.

An acupuncture session is about 90$ so with three of those it adds up to 270$, and if that was on top of 1800$ it does come out to 2070$.
July 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I realize this topic was a few weeks ago but I'm stumped.

I'm looking at my acupuncturist who's also a doula. I live in New York City so I realize things are more expensive here but I'm boggled by her fee of 2500$. We're gonna discuss w/ her because I really really love her and would love her even more as our doula, but it's above our budget and it sounds ridiculous next to 500$ or 250$ that I'm hearing here. I've heard that the range is usually 500-1800$.

Anyway, if I take my doula, it'll include a home visit, birth ball, 2 acupunture session prepping me for labor, then she'll come to my home during latent labor and I get more acupuncture until we head to the hospital, then continuous doula support thereafter w/ acupressure/massage/etc, and finally a post-partum visit after all is done to see how I'm doing.

An acupuncture session is about 90$ so with three of those it adds up to 270$, and if that was on top of 1800$ it does come out to 2070$.[/b]
Wow.. I guess it's the acupuncture aspect then eh?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search