Help me out...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Xtine's Avatar Hip Fresh & Famous
I had a c-section after a 4-day induction with my daughter 4 months ago. It's not what I wanted and the bottom line is that I was very educated, wanted to deliver au naturelle in a birth center, but was too scared of complications to do it. So I went to a hospital and ended up with this kind of birth. I now regret that, very very much, and I feel like my childbirth experience was stolen from me. I am a pretty big hippy when it comes to just about everything else in life and seeing my daughter born in a sterile, surgical environment broke my heart.

I want to deliver my next children naturally, but now I am afraid that I can't. How true is it that VBAC carries a much higher risk of uterine rupture? Would it be foolish to attempt birth in a midwifery or even at home? Would I be putting myself or my unborn child at risk if I did not go to a hospital for a VBAC?

What articles can you point me to, what books, etc.? Who here has had a natural VBAC? My doctor described that she did a bikini-line horizontal incision and that the uterine incision was also horizontal, does this matter?

Thanks so much - Christine
June 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have had two successful homebirths after an (unnecessary IMO) csection and am planning my third homebirth. Its very possible to have successful VBACS be it in a birth center or at home. I personally would never have another baby in a hospital unless it was a life or death situation.

I'm not sure about the exact numbers for uterine rupture, but they aren't as high as some OB's would have you believe, and they are even lower without medical intervention during birth, such as pitocin.
#12 is on the way
June 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Tofu Bacon
((Hugs)) I know how you feel! My son's birth was an "unnecesarean" as well, even though I desperately wanted a natural birth. The good news is that VBAC is possible with any normal, healthy pregnancy. The risk of uterine rupture is extremely low, carrying a risk of 1-3% (the fewer interventions you allow, the less likely you are to rupture). Even with that chance, VBAC is still safer overall than a repeat c-section, so don;t let anyone try and tell you that you are putting your baby's life in jeopardy (I've been told that a few times.) Only about 10% of post-cesarean women attempt a VBAC, but the success rate is between 60-80%, depending on your incision type, how many c-sections you have had, and the reasons for them. Just read up as much as you can and allow your body enough time to heal before you TTC so you'll have the best chance. Here are 2 sites that have helped me learn a lot:

http://www.vbac.com/index.html

http://www.ican-online.org/

ETA: in addition to finding a provider who is 100% supportive of VBAC, definitely include your dh/so in your VBAC research because having him be completely in your corner is invaluable! I have gotten nothing but negative feedback in real life, but dh is the first one to jump in and spout off statistics when I'm left tongue-tied.
June 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Wow, Christine, I guess these ladies answered you pretty well. Also, check out our subforum for articles of interest. There are lots of good articles in there.

I know that I have seen you say a little something here and there in our playroom about your birth experience and I knew that you felt badly about it but I guess that I didnt realize that you felt so strongly. Im really sorry that it was taken away from you and you could not enjoy it. The good news is that it doesnt always have to be that way. You have just as much of a chance for your next to be natural and beautiful and everything you want as anyone else does. Please stick around here and post now and then

</div>
June 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
ashlynsmom's Avatar Veteran
I'm also attempting a VBAC and I highly recommend reading a book called "The VBAC Companion." It gives LOTS of info on VBACs and statistics. Not only is it critical that you understand VBAC and do your research, but it's just as important to find an OB or preferably a midwife who supports VBACs.

June 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have gotten some great advice and resources so I don't have much to add, but I wanted to offer support because I think it's great you're looking into VBAC options. I have a friend who had her first by c-section and went on to have 2 more VBAC births (one of them twins)!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search