Need a list of questions for hospital

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Ok , so after talking to a few midwives and women I know around here I have found out that the hospital I have to use is not that bad but not too natural friendly or baby friendly , so even though I am only 9 weeks pg I am going to get a tour of the L&d ward here in the next month or two and want a good list of questions to ask so I know well ahead of time what to expect there and so I know what I will need to add to my birth plan specific to the hospitals policies .

So this is just a list I found by accident online , what do y'all think of these questions and are there any you would add to it ? If it helps I am going for a natural VBAC .

Choosing the hospital: Questions to ask the head labor & delivery nurse

What's the nurse/patient ratio? (ACOG guidelines are 1 to 2 in labor and 1 to 1 in pushing).
monitoring required?

Is remote monitoring required or is intermittent acceptable?

If MD or CNM approves, can doppler be used instead of EFM? What about for VBACs?

What are your protocols for fetal distress?

How often do you use internal monitor?

What circumstances require it?

Does this hospital do fetal scalp ph sampling to confirm fetal distress?

What is your policy on the IV? Can a Heparin Lock be substituted for the IV? What about if I am a VBAC?

Can ice chips and/or water or juice be taken? Can I eat in early labor?

I will add my own questions to this too I just haven't yet . Thanks !
What's the hospital's c-sec rate?

How familiar and comfortable are you with patients bringing their own Labor Support Professional?

If cesarean, can husband and labor support or relative be present?

What is the epidural rate?

How many women have drug free birth and can squat, walk, kneel? sit on toilet? In bathtub? In shower?

Why and when is this not allowed?

How familiar and comfortable are your nurses with a patient coming in active labor?

Do you have lactation consultants? Breastfeeding classes/instructors in maternity ward?

Can baby stay with me at all times? Is it okay to sleep with the baby in same bed?

Can my partner spend the night too?

Can my older children be present at the birth? When can they visit me?

The Electronic Fetal Monitor policy: what is minimum amount I must be monitored? In what circumstances is constant

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

June 12th, 2007, 09:44 PM
mylittlemonsters's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlemonsters
Although all these are great questions to ask. I don't see much need in most of them. Remember you are in charge. They can NOT force you to do anything against your will. If you want to eat, then eat. If you want to get up and move, then get up. If you don't want them to use continuous monitoring then don't allow them to. If you want to get into the tub or shower, then get in. If you don't want an iv or a hep lock, then don't allow them to give you one. If you don't want them to put a scalp monitor on the baby, don't let them. If you want to room in with your baby, then don't allow them to take the baby out of your room.

Basically have a very well written birth plan, make lots of copies and give it to anyone that walks in your room. Make it clear what you want and that you are not backing down. Make sure you are educated in what can and can't happen if you do or don't do this or that. Post signs on your door (again make extra copies) that you do not want to be offered pain meds. Make signs for the baby's bassinet that the baby is to be left in your room at all times. If you want your other children there, bring them, just make sure they have someone there for them incase they are not comfortable being there. If you want dh to stay at night with you, then have him stay, or check out as early as possible so you don't have to deal with all that. Basically if you want it, do it.
YOU ARE PAYING THEM TO ATTEND YOUR BIRTH, THEY ARE NOT PAYING YOU TO ALLOW THEM TO BE THERE!!! YOU ARE IN CHARGE!!!!

I know I sound like I am being pushy and not trying to get a lot of answers before labor but this is the way it is. They are going to tell you that they HAVE to do these things and they are going to try to scare you into what they want. You have to be well educated and prepared. Also make sure you have a good support system.

Best of luck.

oh yeah 1-question is what is their vbac rate?
June 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Quote:
Although all these are great questions to ask. I don't see much need in most of them. Remember you are in charge. They can NOT force you to do anything against your will. If you want to eat, then eat. If you want to get up and move, then get up. If you don't want them to use continuous monitoring then don't allow them to. If you want to get into the tub or shower, then get in. If you don't want an iv or a hep lock, then don't allow them to give you one. If you don't want them to put a scalp monitor on the baby, don't let them. If you want to room in with your baby, then don't allow them to take the baby out of your room.

Basically have a very well written birth plan, make lots of copies and give it to anyone that walks in your room. Make it clear what you want and that you are not backing down. Make sure you are educated in what can and can't happen if you do or don't do this or that. Post signs on your door (again make extra copies) that you do not want to be offered pain meds. Make signs for the baby's bassinet that the baby is to be left in your room at all times. If you want your other children there, bring them, just make sure they have someone there for them incase they are not comfortable being there. If you want dh to stay at night with you, then have him stay, or check out as early as possible so you don't have to deal with all that. Basically if you want it, do it.
YOU ARE PAYING THEM TO ATTEND YOUR BIRTH, THEY ARE NOT PAYING YOU TO ALLOW THEM TO BE THERE!!! YOU ARE IN CHARGE!!!!

I know I sound like I am being pushy and not trying to get a lot of answers before labor but this is the way it is. They are going to tell you that they HAVE to do these things and they are going to try to scare you into what they want. You have to be well educated and prepared. Also make sure you have a good support system.

Best of luck.

oh yeah 1-question is what is their vbac rate?[/b]

Well this is why I want to ask these questions , so I know what they will try to make me do so I can very clearly say in my birth plan weather or not I will do those things , I want to address their policies specifically and not just cover what they may want me to do , that way I will be better informed and ready to deal with this particular hospital and staff . But yes the VBAC rate will be on there too !

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

June 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks great! Congrats on deciding to VBAC! I am hoping for a VBAC with this one. I am ready to fight tooth and nail for my VBAC and I will. I won't be going in for a tour because I know about the hospital already. They are VBAC friendly. I WON'T let my OBGYN pull the same $hit he did with my first pregnancy. I am staying with him until the end of my pregnancy and then I am just going to stop going to prenatal visits. My OB is the ONLY OB in my area VBAC friendly, but he wants me to opt for c/s because will only have been 14 months since my c/s. I hope things work out for you. You seem to have it pretty much covered. Good Luck and YOU CAN DO IT!

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search