Ever gotten mad enough to want to become a doc?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Ms.Michelle
I know this probably sounds crazy but I have been seriously thinking about becoming a ob/gyn again after I have my babies.

My (step)mom had miscarriages and the only ob/gyn around was nicknamed the butcher because of what he did to the women. The abortion subjects have really opened my eyes on how many women suffer.. Now that I'm pregnant and see the lack of dignity.. I just have that feeling coming back to me that I should go back to school.. I'm sure it sounds silly right now but I've always wanted to help women here and I don't think I can work in the system being a midwife. I think I'll have to become an ob/gyn in order to get the change I want. I'd like to think I have the compassion for all the situations..

I kinda feel like a school girl here but I wonder what you gals think?
June 14th, 2007, 03:01 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Absolutely. And I might strive for it if I had the ambition to go to school I just dont. I am not really that smart and I struggle with certain school assignments.

</div>
June 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I want to be a midwife...but I understand not feeling like you could make enough change that way
#12 is on the way
June 14th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I say go for it! I think we all have a calling and if you feel you could really do something good with being an OB then absolutely you should give it a try! Do you already have your bachelors?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

June 14th, 2007, 04:26 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that's a great idea! I work in alternative medicine and about every 6 months I get an itch to go back and add allopathic medicine to it, then I look at the cost, time, and what it's really like to work in modern medicine (dealing with the high level of insurance and lawsuits) and change my mind.

I think that's a great idea! I work in alternative medicine and about every 6 months I get an itch to go back and add allopathic medicine to it, then I look at the cost, time, and what it's really like to work in modern medicine (dealing with the high level of insurance and lawsuits) and change my mind.

June 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM
wolfpack's Avatar I need a frappuccino!
Quote:
I work in alternative medicine and about every 6 months I get an itch to go back and add allopathic medicine to it, then I look at the cost, time, and what it's really like to work in modern medicine (dealing with the high level of insurance and lawsuits) and change my mind.[/b]
You aren't kidding about the price of malpractice costs and the high number of lawsuits! They went over this last year with the 3rd year med students. Ob/gyns have a very high malpractice cost due to the "two patients in one." And they said that even the "perfect" ob/gyn (ie the guy who does everything right, by the book, doesn't screw up...." is still going to get sued. People just like to sue!

Anyway, if you want to go for it, go for it! But it is a LOT of VERY expensive schooling. My DH puts in a lot of hours. But he enjoys it. He will be doing Family Practice though. Oh, and there are good and even great obs out there. So you won't be alone in doing good. It sickens me at the ones giving them a bad name!

June 15th, 2007, 11:36 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I work in alternative medicine and about every 6 months I get an itch to go back and add allopathic medicine to it, then I look at the cost, time, and what it's really like to work in modern medicine (dealing with the high level of insurance and lawsuits) and change my mind.[/b]
You aren't kidding about the price of malpractice costs and the high number of lawsuits! They went over this last year with the 3rd year med students. Ob/gyns have a very high malpractice cost due to the "two patients in one." And they said that even the "perfect" ob/gyn (ie the guy who does everything right, by the book, doesn't screw up...." is still going to get sued. People just like to sue!

Anyway, if you want to go for it, go for it! But it is a LOT of VERY expensive schooling. My DH puts in a lot of hours. But he enjoys it. He will be doing Family Practice though. Oh, and there are good and even great obs out there. So you won't be alone in doing good. It sickens me at the ones giving them a bad name!
[/b]
ITA with this post.

It cost me ~50,000 dollars per year to go to medical school (I went to a private school). I got a couple of grants so I ended up owing ~170,000 dollars (non of this includes the cost of undergraduate). As a result, there were some specialities that I didn't even CONSIDER going into because I'd have to work for decades to pay the money back. In short, make sure that it's worth it to you (it has been for me).

Also, on the suing issue. People LOVE to sue. You will spend alot of your time trying to decided which course of action will have the best outcome for the patient AND keep you from being sued......and it's still expected that you'll get sued at least once. It's really sad (I've heard of people suing for some of the CRAZIEST things).

All that being said, if you think that medicine is for you GO FOR IT. Just make sure that you research it well.

June 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM
*Aspen*
Michelle, when I was pregnant I seriously considered becoming a MW or and now, an LC.

I wish you the best. If we ever move to Canada, I'll look you up. LOL!!
June 16th, 2007, 04:05 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh yes, I have!

But I didn't feel the need to change the medical system from the inside out. My calling was to provide gentle and safe care for women who were ready to leave that system and allow their bodies and babies to totally ROCK! I had to go the midwifery route. I could never practice as an OB...even if I was a "good" OB I would still feel like I was doing something wrong.

If you have the calling and the drive to serve those dear women in the hospital...PLEASE get on that! They could use you! Just don't allow your training to change you. Remember that the outcomes you will see and learn from are not naturally induced.

Hugs...and I feel ya.

June 16th, 2007, 10:56 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't ever be a doctor.... but I understand where you're coming from. My best friend is in medical school, so I'll just live vicariously through her (and give her every opinion I can on medical care here).

June 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
ITA with this post.

It cost me ~50,000 dollars per year to go to medical school (I went to a private school). I got a couple of grants so I ended up owing ~170,000 dollars (non of this includes the cost of undergraduate). As a result, there were some specialities that I didn't even CONSIDER going into because I'd have to work for decades to pay the money back. In short, make sure that it's worth it to you (it has been for me).

Also, on the suing issue. People LOVE to sue. You will spend alot of your time trying to decided which course of action will have the best outcome for the patient AND keep you from being sued......and it's still expected that you'll get sued at least once. It's really sad (I've heard of people suing for some of the CRAZIEST things).

All that being said, if you think that medicine is for you GO FOR IT. Just make sure that you research it well.
[/b]
And then you get to battle with insurance to get paid. I have to worry about the ins. and lawsuits to a degree, but nowhere near as bad.

But despite all that, I say go for it. We need more caring doctors.

June 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Please remember that not all docs and obs are "bad" or "against natural labor" My doc has encouraged me sooo much. As have the nurses that are at our hospital. There are a lot of people that do need intervention, and a lot who don't. Don't chalk up all obs and docs to be bad, just because of the few who are.

June 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Ms.Michelle
Shouldn't one bad one and a passion for helping women be a good enough reason to become one? Why assume I think all are bad?
June 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
I apologize if that came as an attack on you. I never meant it that way! I didn't assume that you thought that all were bad. I did a bad job at phrasing my post. I am sorry.

June 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I apologize if that came as an attack on you. I never meant it that way! I didn't assume that you thought that all were bad. I did a bad job at phrasing my post. I am sorry.[/b]
Thanks hon! Thank you for understanding. ((I'm ones of those people who wish they could take back a post or two... I understand how sometimes we can't express it better on-line in a post..))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search