need encouragement

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Veteran
Okay, I confess. I am a major lurker here. But now I am posting for encouragement. This whole pregnancy I have planned a natural childbirth experience. Now, my baby has been determined to be very large and dr. is offering an induction. I understand where my dr. is coming from. She is a family physician and does not perform c sections and is afraid that I will need one and end up with a dr. who I don't know. I still believe that my body can deliver the baby when he gets ready to come no matter what size he is. But, now I'm huge, tired, grouchy, and so ready to be done being pregnant. So the temptation is very great to go ahead and let her induce or at least strip my membranes. There are many reasons I do not want an induction, the main one being that if you are on pitocin, you have to have continous fetal monitoring. With my first labor, I could not move off of my back because everytime I did they would lose the baby's heartbeat. It was awful. I had back labor. My first pregnancy was largely taken out of my control due to preeclampsia. I had an epidural but had a bad reaction to it. (blood pressure bottomed out) I do not remember having my daughter or seeing her until many hours later. I really want to remember this birth and see my son as soon as he is born. But still the temptation is great to get this pregnancy over with. I also don't like the idea of a dr. I don't know doing a c section on me. But I am not a petite person by any means. My mother had two over 8 pound babies. I believe I can do this. But doubt creeps in. Please share any experiences with large babies and any encouragement anyone could offer. Thanks for listening.
June 19th, 2007, 08:17 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honey, keep your faith! You know your body can do this. Hold out a little longer before you give in to induction. Maybe labor will come on it's own soon. Don't worry, we are all pulling for you to have your natural childbirth, good luck!

Chelci

June 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
I can understand you being ready to have this baby , but like you said you can do it ! If this is indeed a bigger baby then your body will be able to handle it , plus sometimes they can be wrong when guessing the size of the baby so keep that in mind , also being induced can further increase your chances of c-section , as well as make it harder for you to move around which will also add to the chances of a section . Remember what you want and why you want it , write it all down and read it while your waiting for your doc to come in the room if you have to lol . I know some of the other ladies can help you with this , but stay strong hun !

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

June 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doctor told me that my daughter would be over 9 lbs when she was born.... therefore convincing me I needed to be induced. My daughter was born almost a week past her due date and was 7lbs, 7oz. You can do it, and I know women who have pushed out 12 lb babies!!

Good luck! You can do this!!

June 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
Welcome to our group! Im glad you are posting here now!

Itsymama has it all right. You obviously know you can do this, so just hold in there! There are a few natural things that can help you to get some contractions going, when the time comes. There are also some things you could be doing now to get your cervix soft and ripe... ready to dilate. Have you used evening primrose oil yet? There are several threads around this board. If you havent used it yet, I can pull one up for you Most women are pregnant for 41 weeks if left to do things how their bodies need to do them. You are going to do great girl! Please please update us!

April

</div>
June 20th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
absolutely agree with the other ladies! Your body is designed to deliver babies. A "large" baby for you could be very different than it would be for someone else! And yes, ultrasounds can be up to 2lbs off in their estimates!

babies will come when they are ready. It seems to me that a lot of times if the baby is large your body will kick it out a bit early anyway.

I know we had one gal here recently have a 10 pounder naturally. This baby I just had was 8.10 lbs. you can do it!!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 20th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have 4 children all over 8lb.
With my first I was 17 years of age when I fell pregnant. Days over 18 when I had her.
That said my belly was tiny, & people commented until right up to the end of the pregnancy that the baby must be 'very small'.
I went into labour naturally the day that I was due to be induced (leaking waters.) An IV was attempted & seriously stuffed up, so I refused it & apart from a shot of peth, did it au naturel.
Now I was a little girl. An aus size 10 when I fell pregnant.
With literally 12 minutes of pushing & NOT ONE stitch, out came my SHORT, FAT baby! She was 8lb.10oz.
And in all honesty she was one of my easiest deliveries.
My best friend has 5 children, all in the 8lb range too, 'cept for her last one who came out 9lb.11oz Would you believe her easiest delivery out of the LOT!
I am VERY thankful back when I had my first couple of children that NO speculation was made on their weight. It made my life alot easier because it was never there in the back of my mind to focus on
~*Goodluck*~ with your delivery, I am sure that you will do just fine

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
June 20th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Ms.Michelle
I agree with all the ladies here. Your baby knows what's too big.. and will come out when it's time.

Good luck girl!
June 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish I had a dollar for every time a doctor told someone I know that her baby was going to be too big to deliver, and it turned out to be in the 6-8 pound range like most babies are. I have several friends who had big babies--one was 11 1/2 pounds and she delivered vaginally, AND then she went on to have another child after that, so how bad could it have been??

I know it's hard to not listen to medical professionals, but what helps me is to think of all my great-great grandmothers who had 10 or 12 or 14 children at home (and not a nice house like most people live in today--but a shack with one room and a dirt floor) with no medical intervention at all, and they all lived to ripe old ages despite the fact that "women ALWAYS used to die in childbirth until doctors came along."

June 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Veteran
Thanks for your encouragement. Keep it coming. I go to the dr. tomorrow. I have my birth plan for her to see. She usually lets me call the shots unless there is an emergency so at least it will be just me fighting temptation and not me fighting temptation and dr. I have warned my sister who is going with me and who really wants me to be induced to keep quiet. My husband says to do whatever I think is right. Keep the encouraging words coming. I'll need them before tomorrow.
June 20th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Well it's good that your doc works with you , thats a plus , and your hubby too ! As for your sis just remember when y'all were little , I'm sure you never listened to her then lol . Good luck !

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

June 20th, 2007, 07:16 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
An u/s showed dd was 8 lbs 3 oz at 40w and a few days. The doctor and nurse saw how big I was and predicted a big baby. I went into labor about a week and a half later (12 days "overdue") and she was 7 lbs 5 oz. You can do it! In a months time do you think you will regret not waiting what will probably be only a few days? Just do what feels right for you, even if that is an induction. Just be sure it's YOUR decision.

June 21st, 2007, 12:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just HOLD on, you can do it! I am not petite, but I am small boned. I am 5'4 and not big and yet my baby was 8 lbs 13 oz. I pushed her out in one contraction! I worried once that I wouldn't be able to birth a large baby, but after this my midwife said "Oh, yeah you could birth a 9-10 lb baby naturally if you wanted to!" You just never know with women. Anyway, for the tired cranky part, but just hang in there. It WILL be worth it. TRUST me! I loved my natural birth and now it seems like unless for dire circumstances if any doctor tried to convince me of induction I would refuse ASAP because I would hate for anyone to take that part away from me. You will love it.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

June 21st, 2007, 05:36 AM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Am I too late? Just say no to induction!! Your body and your baby know the right time, not the medical community!! Very rarely will a baby be grown bigger than a mother can deliver and its in situations like GD. I have friends who have natural birthed their 10-11 pound babies!! Induction is likely to compromise your natural birth!
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason
June 21st, 2007, 06:32 AM
ljcbrown's Avatar Super Mommy
With my DD the doc said she would be too big for me to deliver so they had to induce. I am only 5'1 and 114lbs before pregnancy. They induced and my daughter ended up being 6lbs10oz. They were over 2lbs off. This time (I'm due next month) I plan on going all natural no matter what my doc says. Unless there is some reason for major concern I want my body to do what it's made to do. Just listen to your body and you can do it.

**Thanks to Cavewoman for the beautiful siggy!**
June 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
Tofu Bacon
How did it go with the doctor today?
June 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM
Veteran
Quote:
How did it go with the doctor today?[/b]
It went well today. Dr. totally respected my decision not to induce. She offered to strip my membranes but I told her not this week. I may let her strip my membranes next week. I don't know I have to research it further. I am still dialated to 1 cm.
June 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Quote:
How did it go with the doctor today?[/b]
It went well today. Dr. totally respected my decision not to induce. She offered to strip my membranes but I told her not this week. I may let her strip my membranes next week. I don't know I have to research it further. I am still dialated to 1 cm.
[/b]

That's great , she sounds like a nice doctor ! Your doing good

June 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad that you aren't under pressure from your doctor!

If it makes you feel better, I was still at 1 cm when I got to the hospital after my water broke at 41w5d. Things went really fast once it did get started.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search