TENS machine?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
*:Onei*Chan:*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *:Onei*Chan:*
I just learned about these things today, so I thought I would open up a discussion. Have you ever heard of a TENS machine? It stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation and its basically just some wires that connect to your body and send electrical currents that <span style="color:#800080"><span style="font-family:ArialHelveticaGenevaSwissSunSans-Regular"><span style="font-family:Arial Black">provide a degree of symptomatic pain relief by specifically exciting sensory nerves. Its non evasive and the side effects are usually an allergic reaction on the skin to something in the tape or electrode, if any. Happens in about 2% of patients. It does not completely get rid of pain, like drugs but is compared to hydrotherapy. Midwives are using them a lot now and I wondered if any of you had thought about using it? What are your opinions? Because it provides pain relief through electrical nerve stimulation, do you still consider a birth "natural" if one is used? </span></span></span>

</div>
June 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Hmm , never heard of it before , how new is it ? Anything new in the medical world I wait a few years till they have time to find those pesky lil long term side affects before i trust it enough to try it lol .

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

June 21st, 2007, 09:55 AM
MaMaTuTu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They have been around for a while. Usually used in Physical Therapy. I think they help out a lot. But I do know that my boss wouldn't use them on pregnant women. I'm not sure if I would use them or not(while pregnant).

oh, I was a Physical Therpapist Aide for 2.5 years. And I used it AT LEAST 50 times a day!!

Mommy to:
O(8/9/05)
K(2/27/07)
"Beanie"(EDD 12/18/08)
Tube bean missing since 12/1/07
June 30th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I have a small hand-held TENS unit that I have used for pain from fibromyalgia. I packed it in my birth bag with DD#1, but didn't have time to use it (arrived at the hospital fully effaced, dilated & ready to push). DD#2 was transverse breech so I had to have an emergency c/s so no TENS then either.
July 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
itsymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to itsymama
Quote:
I have a small hand-held TENS unit that I have used for pain from fibromyalgia.[/b]
Does that help with the pain from fibromyalgia ? The reason I ask is because my mom suffers from that and until these past few months could not even dress herself , brush her own hair and couldn't hardly leave the house , she's only 52 ! I'm always looking for better ways to try and help her , she's pumped full of meds now and can finally do some things for herself like any other human but some of the drugs are pretty scary ! She does suffer from some other things as well though too .

Brandon Michael Born By Cesarean 8-3-04 ~ Hannah Elizabeth Born By Natural VBAC 1-14-08 ~ Surprise Baby Love Due 1-18-11

July 2nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am quite amazed that this thread is here !! I am 29 and a bit weeks pregnant and attended a preparing for birth class at the hospital I am having bubby in on Saturday. It was in this class that they mentioned the tens machine - it was the first time i had ever heard of it. I was coming onto this forum just then to ask what u ladies thought of it - cos I am planning a completely natural birth - but was wondering where this machine stood in your minds - natural or not??
I think they have been around treating things like bad knees and tennis elbow for AGES... Sorry, i haven't been any help, but i would LOVE to find out more ....
xx

July 3rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Ms.Michelle
Today is the first day I've heard of this machine being used for preggos. (I had neck issues after a car accident and we used it there.) I totally see how that would help! I think that's totally natural! I would love to learn more about it.
July 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM
hotstuff2u's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't know if it's considered natural or not, but those have been used in Europe to aide with labor pains for a long time now.
I had my 1st daughter there, but didn't get to use any so I don't know if they would work well enough or not.
I wish I could've been of more help, but IMUO you don't get so many side effects like you would get with an epidural.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search